4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Torque Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:54 PM

Torque Braking?

I heard that if you torque brake (Floor the gas and have the brake on , then let off the brake for a nice burn-out/ acceleration) is bad for the car?

I never knew this, I thought that it would just be the brakes holding the car back, never realized anything else could result from it? Ive done it a lot lol, now i wonder if its really bad. I havent noticed any damage on niether brakes nor transmission, and have done some sweet burnouts, but then i read about it on a different site.

so basically my question is : how bad is torque braking for your car?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it may be better for you to just neutral drop, rev up..and throw her in gear.. or jsut get 5 speed maxima.

it puts alot of stress on your brakes and tranny. get an electric fan, put it on fastest speed, put your hand in the way to hold it back. hold it there til the motor blows or you see smoke comming out for it.. sholdnt take too long.. same concept.

your color is called black emerald, or deep evergreen by the way.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Hmm, good explanation, thank you.

Are you sure the neutral drop isnt as bad for the car? It just seems so much more violent on the transmission, torque braking is just smooth, not jerky.

I like smoothness, when i imagine neutral drop, i imagine my entire transmission actually flying out from under the car right as i put it in drive.

What max RPM do you reccomend before dropping it by the way?=)
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM

both methods ar ebad for the tranny. dont do it a lot.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
it may be better for you to just neutral drop, rev up..and throw her in gear..
no.

never.

please don't tell me you do this.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:41 PM

surprising my friends got me to do a neutral drop last weekend after over a year critizing that it would be "cool". when I did it i was pulling backwards out of a friends drive way dropped in neutral nailed it for about 1 sec and dropped in drive. no jerking or noise just the second I put it in gear the tach sat at about 6,000 for 20 yards and a patch of rubber that looked like someone paited the asphalt. it was fun but will never happen again.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:43 PM

i got 5 speed..so i never do that...

i used to neutral drop my moms car.not often and no more than 3k though..just to launch..not to burn out. and yes it was sarcasm. shudda added a wink face or someting.

i say just dont do any burnouts period.. wasted tires, nasty smoke smell, broken trannys,.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:52 PM

NEVER neutral drop a auto tranny. Its horrible for it. End of story.

Brake Torqueing isn't bad for you car. You put more stress on your brakes when you do a 60-0 ft. quick stop. I wouldn't do it too much though... just when you need it. "Need" it meaning at the track or where ever.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
NEVER neutral drop a auto tranny. Its horrible for it. End of story.

Brake Torqueing isn't bad for you car. You put more stress on your brakes when you do a 60-0 ft. quick stop. I wouldn't do it too much though... just when you need it. "Need" it meaning at the track or where ever.
i agree, and like everyone said, your certainly not doing you car any favors by brake torqueing
Old 01-22-2004, 08:18 PM

i heard torque-braking heats up your tranny pre-maturely
Old 01-22-2004, 08:24 PM

In a way... your always brake torqueing an auto tranny... when its in DRIVE at least. Think about it.... tranny is in gear, and your on the brakes sitting at a stoplight. Understand though that your putting a little more stress on the tranny at like 1500-2000 RPM's but i don't think its something to freak about.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
it may be better for you to just neutral drop, rev up..and throw her in gear...
lol, are you kidding me?? neutral drops is like the worst thing you could do to your tranny.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

buy a camaro
Old 01-22-2004, 09:33 PM

You mean e-brake right? or are you hitting the brake pedal with left foot and gas with right? anyways, can't be good for your car. You watch too much Initial-D.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:14 AM

Why other to burn out? Wholly unimpressive.... a Hyundai Excel can burh out. If you really want to impress, do 50 then nail it and chirp the tires... now thats impressive! And entirely possible.
btw .... Never do nuetral drops, at least not without a race clutch... You'll shread your tranny... sadly a lesson leard from expierence.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:08 AM

wow, lots of different opinions lol.

I meant left foot on the actual brake by the way while giving it gas, not ebrake.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
slackass

Originally Posted by Andy13186
wow, lots of different opinions lol.

I meant left foot on the actual brake by the way while giving it gas, not ebrake.
same effect the hand brake is just cable operated not fluid...i believe
Old 01-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Cheesing away...

Originally Posted by hdortez
Why other to burn out? Wholly unimpressive.... a Hyundai Excel can burh out. If you really want to impress, do 50 then nail it and chirp the tires... now thats impressive! And entirely possible.
btw .... Never do nuetral drops, at least not without a race clutch... You'll shread your tranny... sadly a lesson leard from expierence.
Chirping the tires at 50mph? Ha, I'd like to see that in a na max.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 PM

Torque Braking is alot healthier than Neutral Dropping, although its not good for the car, if you do it to only 1500 RPM at a track once in a while it shouldnt hurt the car too much. Doing it at every red-light you encounter will hurt your car though, and you will need a new tranny soon.

My friend neutral drops his 95SE Auto all the time, and he doesnt believe me that its EXTREMELY bad for the car. . .. he will learn.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
formz

Why has no one in here said a damn thing about the torque converter. My god.... Torque breaking doesn't do anything to your damn breaks, its the TORQUE CONVERTER that gets used most. And since everyone in this thread apparently doesn't know what one is... here's a brief description of why you torque break:

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. If the engine is turning slowly, such as when the car is idling at a stoplight, the amount of torque passed through the torque converter is very small, so keeping the car still requires only a light pressure on the brake pedal.

If you were to step on the gas pedal while the car is stopped, you would have to press harder on the brake to keep the car from moving. This is because when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels.
There is a reason why when you go to Level 10 or some other auto tranny shop you can build your trannies with a certain stall speed. A 1500rpm stall speed means you start to creep at 1500rpms. You can select which speed stall you want.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:59 PM

Formz, you seem to know what your talking about pretty good,(not saying any of you other guys dont)

But from what i read of your post i didnt see (to my knowledge) if you said it is bad or ok for the car?

I dont understand fancy talk if you said it in that lol
Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 PM

Is there something special you've got to do to get the e-brake to lock, I can pull the brake and stomp the gas and my auto will drag the tires, they roll, new brakes and such, maybe my cable is stretched or something.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lost_N_a_97Max
Is there something special you've got to do to get the e-brake to lock, I can pull the brake and stomp the gas and my auto will drag the tires, they roll, new brakes and such, maybe my cable is stretched or something.

If they drag the locked tires, then your e-brake is doing its job. If you want to do a burnout or what-not, put a couple cinder blocks under your rear tires and then engage the e-brake. Or wet the surface that your front tires are going to be on.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:27 PM

the rear tires roll... not quite dragging.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:28 PM

Are you pulling your e-brake up high enough? If so, then perhaps you need to get the cable adjusted.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 PM

Is that a DIY'er?
Old 01-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Banned

put bleach on your tires!
also those tray's from wenday/mcdonalds are great put them under the wheels whoo hooo!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 PM
formz

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Formz, you seem to know what your talking about pretty good,(not saying any of you other guys dont)

But from what i read of your post i didnt see (to my knowledge) if you said it is bad or ok for the car?

I dont understand fancy talk if you said it in that lol
No, it doesn't hurt your car. I wouldn't do it at every night, but it doesn't hurt. No offense to anyone on this board but most of you have no examples as to WHY it hurts the cars. If you understand what is happening you'd never say "don't do it." Hell you all thought it hurt your brakes.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:00 PM

No, I know it doesn't hurt the brakes. I just meant, why apply braking force to the front wheels when those are the ones you want to spin freely. E-brake applies only to the rear wheels, leaving front to spin freely. If you dont believe me, lock your e-brakes hard, jack up front wheels and spin front wheels with your hands. Just don't turn engine on and put in drive to see how fast you can spin the wheels. This is bad for your car.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Who

Because of how the torque converter operates, the worst you will do by power/torque braking is heat up your transmission fluid faster. So you will be safe as long as you don't brake for an extended period of time...I'd say about 5 seconds max, and you don't do it in quick succession(let the oil cool a bit). Getting a transmission oil cooler wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:42 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by kchida
You watch too much Initial-D.
so wait, delivering tofu wont help be become the best drifter in the world?

Your original description of torque braking was holding the brake and "floor the gas." that would be horrible for the car. an intenstly light torque brake at the line on the track can help you launch quicker, but its not something you should do a lot, and at those times, its very periodic. using it to do a burn out...is stupid. the extra resistance is just bad for everything. you are trying to get the car to do something it was never made to do
Old 01-24-2004, 11:06 PM
formz

Originally Posted by SXN
so wait, delivering tofu wont help be become the best drifter in the world?

Your original description of torque braking was holding the brake and "floor the gas." that would be horrible for the car. an intenstly light torque brake at the line on the track can help you launch quicker, but its not something you should do a lot, and at those times, its very periodic. using it to do a burn out...is stupid. the extra resistance is just bad for everything. you are trying to get the car to do something it was never made to do
Nice try at saving face, but you're still wrong. Very.. very wrong.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:17 PM
SXN

you should be a little bit more descriptive than that. also how am i trying to save face? from what?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:24 PM
2060lbs and falling...

All you noobs are retarded and small in the pants.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 PM
SXN

for one... you have nothing insightful to say, so why are we noobs? secondly your comments are stupid and off topic
Old 01-25-2004, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by vsidesupratt1
Chirping the tires at 50mph? Ha, I'd like to see that in a na max.
Dan't be hatin baby... live the dream too
Old 01-25-2004, 07:04 AM
formz

Originally Posted by SXN
you should be a little bit more descriptive than that. also how am i trying to save face? from what?
Because you're completely wrong. Torque breaking doesn't hurt the car at all. You wouldn't even have known wtf it was unless I gave the description.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:55 AM

So.. What you guys are saying is that if i go get my moms quest and go to somewhere no1 is around and i put it in drive... Hold the brake on the floor then just stomp the gas that it will smoke the tires... and all that will happen is that the oil will heat up? LOL please tell me this isnt true...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:03 AM

No sean, You gotta stomp the break, put on gas for a second, let off brake and keep gas down, it will burn out better than just flooring it.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:08 AM
formz

Originally Posted by sean05
So.. What you guys are saying is that if i go get my moms quest and go to somewhere no1 is around and i put it in drive... Hold the brake on the floor then just stomp the gas that it will smoke the tires... and all that will happen is that the oil will heat up? LOL please tell me this isnt true...
No you have to let go of the brake and stomp the gas at the same time. Holding the brake and mashing the gas is only going to make the car creep forward slowly.

Quick Reply: Torque Braking?