4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Advice w/ Error Codes on 99 SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 01:07 PM

Need Advice w/ Error Codes on 99 SE

My max has a hard time cold starting and idles at 1,000 rpm even when warmed up. I read the following two error codes:

1. 0802 (P0335): POS Crankshaft Position Sensor or Curcuit fault
2. 0510 (P0138): Downstream O2 sensor maximum voltage monitor fault

What do these mean? Should I just install a new O2 sensor and hope it goes away? I don't want to pay a mechanic for hours of trouble shooting if I can do some of it myself.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Speedyvonquick
Old 01-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Reset your ECu and see if both come back. If so replace both sensors.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Speedyvonquick
My max has a hard time cold starting and idles at 1,000 rpm even when warmed up. I read the following two error codes:

1. 0802 (P0335): POS Crankshaft Position Sensor or Curcuit fault
2. 0510 (P0138): Downstream O2 sensor maximum voltage monitor fault

What do these mean? Should I just install a new O2 sensor and hope it goes away? I don't want to pay a mechanic for hours of trouble shooting if I can do some of it myself.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Speedyvonquick

There are two crankshaft postion sensors; one is just below the crankshaft pulley and the other is at the rear of the engine near the transaxle housing. The POS sensor is the one near rear of the engine. Check to make sure the electrical connectors are plugged in (you might want to unplug it and then plug it back in). If the sensor has gone bad, you can purchase a new one for about $100 and replace it yourself (just a single bolt). That's most likely what's causing your drivability issues.

The downstream O2 sensor really doesn't affect anything drivability-wise. You can replace that whenever you get around to it. All it does is help the ECU monitor the efficiency of the catalyst system. Upstream sensors are what the ECU uses to help maintain the air/fuel mixture and they're the ones that will cause observable problems when they fail.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Reset your ECu and see if both come back. If so replace both sensors.
I reset my computer and check engine light went off...until I turned off the car and started it again. Arggg! Hi-ho ho-ho, it's off to AutoZone I go!
Thank you.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DanL
There are two crankshaft postion sensors; one is just below the crankshaft pulley and the other is at the rear of the engine near the transaxle housing. The POS sensor is the one near rear of the engine. Check to make sure the electrical connectors are plugged in (you might want to unplug it and then plug it back in). If the sensor has gone bad, you can purchase a new one for about $100 and replace it yourself (just a single bolt). That's most likely what's causing your drivability issues.

The downstream O2 sensor really doesn't affect anything drivability-wise. You can replace that whenever you get around to it. All it does is help the ECU monitor the efficiency of the catalyst system. Upstream sensors are what the ECU uses to help maintain the air/fuel mixture and they're the ones that will cause observable problems when they fail.
I'll replace the sensors and reset the ECU. Thanks for the info...you've probably saved me some serious money! What would cause these sensors to fail...just wear and tear? I've got 105K miles on my Max. Maybe these things just happen...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:59 PM

I unplugged the POS crankshaft sensor and blew out some road grit. When I plugged it back in and checked the codes, I got two completely different codes.

1008 (P0443)--EVAP Canister purge control valve circuit fault
0205 (P0505)--Idle air control valve or circuit fault

I guess I'll check it tomorrow night to see if the codes have changed again. Any theories out there as to what's going on?