4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How Do I Get Rid of My Suspension Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 03:29 PM

How Do I Get Rid of My Suspension Noise?

A few months ago, I bought a used set of B&G springs and AGX struts. After putting them in I can hear squeeks while turning. It gets more noticeable when I make sharper turns and also when I go over big bumps. I am going to replace my struts with the more comfortable Illuminas soon and was wondering what I can do to prevent any of the noise since I am going to have my springs and struts out. I have heard of wrapping the springs. What is the best material to use? Any downside to doing this? Is there anything besides wrapping that I can do? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:37 PM

Replace your front strut bearings I wrapped my spring with vinyl tubing
Old 01-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Gates
A few months ago, I bought a used set of B&G springs and AGX struts. After putting them in I can hear squeeks while turning. It gets more noticeable when I make sharper turns and also when I go over big bumps. I am going to replace my struts with the more comfortable Illuminas soon and was wondering what I can do to prevent any of the noise since I am going to have my springs and struts out. I have heard of wrapping the springs. What is the best material to use? Any downside to doing this? Is there anything besides wrapping that I can do? Thanks.
Check to make sure your springs are seated properly and make sure the arrow on the strut mount his facing outward when placed on the strut.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Replace your front strut bearings I wrapped my spring with vinyl tubing

Hey do you have pics of that vinal tubing stuff? What stuff did you use? Also...would you wanna do the vinal tubing if u were putting on H&R's or something similar?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:27 PM

When I put on my MaxSpeed springs, I just bought some vinyl tubing (it's like a clear, "plastic" tube - ask a worker there where it is) from Menards and cut it into a "spiral shape" and then I wrapped it around the spring. You can also buy wire wrap and do the same thing: http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=11

Since it happens while you're turning, I'm guessing it's the strut bearings: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/703 or it could be that your spring is not seated properly like deezo said.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
Hey do you have pics of that vinal tubing stuff? What stuff did you use? Also...would you wanna do the vinal tubing if u were putting on H&R's or something similar?
You have two options:

1) Buy some spiral wrap, available in different sizes from radioshack.com. It's the stuff used to wrap around wires to keep them neat and organized. It will actually wrap around the coils.

or

2) Stick with the OEM spring isolators. These isolators wrap around the first couple of coils and has an adhesive strop on the inside which holds them to the spring fairly well. They are a little more heavy duty than the spiral wrap. I don't remember the part numbers but I ended up using both the wrap and the isolators and both have held up quite well. There are a few older threads floating around that have that information.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:03 AM

Do you guys really think I have bad strut bearings? The squeeks come from the front AND back and I previously had H&R springs and stock struts and had no noise. When I switched to a used set of B&G and AGX, the squeeking started.