4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

\\\"97 ECU" really help or not///

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

\\\"97 ECU" really help or not///

Hey I was wondering those of you running the ECU on the 97-99 if you noticed that much of a power gain.. I am looking to put the greddy sp2, ypipe, and pulley on her but I am trying to decide if that annoying engine light is worth the power gain from the ecu.... If it is what is the best ECU to go with and the best place to purchase one.. Thanks again Guys... Richard
Old 01-30-2004, 01:08 PM

\\\Its not going to do much without a MEVI///
\\\You will raise your rev limiter yet you dont have any mods that produce any power at those high RPMS///
\\\Is it neccessary for you to use these slashes in all your posts?///

\\\Derek///
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM

To get attnetion

Originally Posted by DerekJ212
\\\You will raise your rev limiter yet you dont have any mods that produce any power at those high RPMS///

\\\Derek///

Thankyou for the input......

I use them when i need an answer fairley quick because I amplacing orders today which means i need to know if i should try and purchase one or not.... I just use them to get attention
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 PM

This is a forum, not a help hotline.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DerekJ212

\\\Derek///
An ECU won't do much without a MEVI?? An ECU does more than raise the rev-limiter...
Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 PM

why does everybody always say that an modified ECU doesn't do anything? It's does more than a regular ECU does.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by takentomax
why does everybody always say that an modified ECU doesn't do anything? It's does more than a regular ECU does.
Cus they have no idea what the modified ECU actually does to make the car faster. The worst part is they spew out misinformation to ppl that wouldn't know any better...
Old 01-30-2004, 06:25 PM

I think that if misinformed ppl read up a bit, they would see that a modified Ecu advances the timing and remaps the air to fuel ratio throughout the RPM range. This is an incredible mod. Like a y-pipe but way better.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

an upgraded ecu wont help much without the MEVI ?

what model maxima do you have ? hopeful its a 97, you can go the JWT or Technosquare route. Go technosquare if you are not going the MEVI route.

p.s. i dont have mevi and check out my 1/4 mile time with upgraded ecu and NO MEVI !
Old 01-30-2004, 06:50 PM

Guys, Its been said time and again... Its rather the OTHER WAY AROUND... MEVI wont do that much without raised rev limiter... marching toward redline is the ONLY place the mevi shines. Its really a mod for dudes that need to go fast on the highways.
I believe SteVTEC did a dyno comparison on USDM and MEVI manifolds, and overally gain for the mevi was like 1-2hp... For 500-600 bux that seems HARDLY worth it to me.
therefore i think that a MEVI wont help much without an ecu would be a better statement.

As a few takento and iwannamax have said, the ecu has reprogrammed timing, fuel, and air maps to increase hp, and modify the powerband.
If a mevi was really so important to having an ecu, would ceasar run 14.3's all day long?
I THINK NOT... and all ceasar has is an ECU, No mevi...
and ceasar, keep em comin.

hope i was a help
kyle
Old 01-30-2004, 08:16 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
If a mevi was really so important to having an ecu, would ceasar run 14.3's all day long?

kyle
On the other hand, there are guys with MEVI and ECU running 2-3 tenths faster...

Anyhow if I had it to do over again I would get ECU before the MEVI.

Without an ECU the MEVI doesn't help your 1/4 mile time much but it does make your car faster from a roll. With an ECU the MEVI/ECU car will smack a non MEVI car silly on both the drag strip and the highway.

Get an ECU, it is like adding a Y pipe, you really can feel it, and the guys who say you can't don't have one.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I would agree go with ECU first. I plan to do that in the fall. That sucks about the CEL issues but if you plan on those other mods. Do those first and wait a while to see if anyone can crack the 4.5g ECU.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:35 AM

Thans Guys For The Honest Input

Man thanks guys for all the chat and input I really do appreciate it... I think I am going to get an ECU... A 97 is what I have.... You were saying a couple brands and i dont know if im going to get the MEVI real soon because they are spendy... But where is the best place to get ECU.. Thanks again Rich
Old 01-31-2004, 07:02 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
I THINK NOT... and all ceasar has is an ECU, No mevi...
and ceasar, keep em comin.

hope i was a help
kyle
I've got my lighter rims on order now. As soon as the tracks open up I'll try to add to the USIM ranks.