4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Max with knock sensor and other problem Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 Max with knock sensor and other problem Help!

my 99 max has a check engine light on with

P0325 Knock Sensor

and 1130 Swirl Control Selenoid (california)

the car is no longer in california.

I was wondering can i just take off the selenoid and if not how much would it cost to fix these things and can i do it my self.

Any and all info would be great i would use the search function but its disabled

Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can't take the swirl control out unless you change the intake manifold and the ECU. Replace the selenoid and clear the error. The knock sensor code should go away. Check in a few days to see if you have the KS code. If you do replace that too. The KS code may be set if the swirl valves stay closed because of the bad selenoid. That will definately make the car run poorly.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You can't take the swirl control out unless you change the intake manifold and the ECU. Replace the selenoid and clear the error. The knock sensor code should go away. Check in a few days to see if you have the KS code. If you do replace that too. The KS code may be set if the swirl valves stay closed because of the bad selenoid. That will definately make the car run poorly.
Easier said than done on the knock sensor. He has a 99 california emissions Max with the swirl control valve. The Swirl control valve actually blocks any access to the knock sensor. We had this discussion a long time ago, but the only way to get at the knock sensor under these conditions is to remove the intake manifold.
My ks isn't getting replaced until I get my MEVI installed. In the meantime, a resistor can be bridged across the KS to simulate a working ks attached to an engine which isn't knocking (your engine should be knock-free unless you are running less than 91 octane fuel and/or have other engine problems).
Old 02-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by RichMax
Easier said than done on the knock sensor. He has a 99 california emissions Max with the swirl control valve. The Swirl control valve actually blocks any access to the knock sensor. We had this discussion a long time ago, but the only way to get at the knock sensor under these conditions is to remove the intake manifold.
My ks isn't getting replaced until I get my MEVI installed. In the meantime, a resistor can be bridged across the KS to simulate a working ks attached to an engine which isn't knocking (your engine should be knock-free unless you are running less than 91 octane fuel and/or have other engine problems).

And how would i do this can someone give me a tutorial or some other info i would rather do this myself also where can i get these parts cheap
Old 02-03-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mcnrg6980
And how would i do this can someone give me a tutorial or some other info i would rather do this myself also where can i get these parts cheap
If i recall correctly, in a 99.5 max there is a single connector harness for the ks that you can actually reach. (You're looking near your dipstick...) (The ks is unreacheable for any practical purpose ina 99.5 cali-spec Maxima, so don't try unless you are going to remove the entire upper intake manifold.)
that electrical connector has two terminals, and it directly connects to your ks via a male connector a little further down. After detaching the female connector (the one closest to you) from the ks, place a 550kOhm connector accross the terminals (correct me if the resistance is wrong- you want a resistor with the exact same resistance as a ks operating in normal spec.)

Once you do so, and reset your ecu, you'll note a power increase as your engine moves back to optimized timing. Watch very carefully for knocking/pinging (as you are now the only means of detecting them).
Old 02-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by mcnrg6980

and 1130 Swirl Control Selenoid (california)

the car is no longer in california.

Sorry, that's funny.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg

Sorry, that's funny.
I too, am a noob, and it hurts me so....

But whatever you do, DON'T USE ANYTHING LESS THAN 91 OCTANE FUEL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU COMPLETE THIS MOD!!!!