4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard ride. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 07:12 AM

I am new to the Maxima experience (previous Mitsu Diamante owner). I now own a 97 GLE (29,000 miles)and would like to know from any of you Maxima enthusiasts if your Maximas ride "hard" (front suspension). I guess I am used to a soft, unimpending ride from the Mitsu, but feel that the Maxima rides a bit hard in the front (almost feels like there is some play in the suspension). I have Bridgestone Turanza tires (H rated) that I had on my previous car (fairly new). However, I feel a lot of banging coming from underneath my gas pedal, too much road feel. Is this normal with Maximas? Or should I be feeling a little isolation from the road instead? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:21 AM

Maximas are actually pretty loose and tend to glide over bumps. Are you sure that your tire pressures are right? The Maximas tire pressures are supposed to be in the mid to upper 20s, not 35 like most cars. Other than that, I can;t think of why you would think that the Maxima rides hard.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:31 AM

Thanks for replying to email. I have noticed that the tire pressure for 4th generation max's is 29 psi. However, I have my tires at 32 psi. Would this be affecting the ride? Wouldn't having my tires at 29 psi damage my tires. I drive 50 miles a day (highway). Need some insight.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2001, 07:55 AM

Insight

Originally posted by maxnewbie
... I have noticed that the tire pressure for 4th generation max's is 29 psi. However, I have my tires at 32 psi. Would this be affecting the ride?
Yes.

... Wouldn't having my tires at 29 psi damage my tires.
No.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:43 PM
LoveMyMaximA

i kno wat ur talking about...

i have the same problems maxnewbie...my max rumbles like crazy when it hits those potholes and ruff roads and i dunno the reason y and i'd like to find out...could it be the tires? not sure...but plz help

Old 03-08-2001, 07:56 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by maxnewbie
I am new to the Maxima experience (previous Mitsu Diamante owner). I now own a 97 GLE (29,000 miles)and would like to know from any of you Maxima enthusiasts if your Maximas ride "hard" (front suspension). I guess I am used to a soft, unimpending ride from the Mitsu, but feel that the Maxima rides a bit hard in the front (almost feels like there is some play in the suspension). I have Bridgestone Turanza tires (H rated) that I had on my previous car (fairly new). However, I feel a lot of banging coming from underneath my gas pedal, too much road feel. Is this normal with Maximas? Or should I be feeling a little isolation from the road instead? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have driven a GLE before I got me SE and I could tell the difference in ride (GLE a little softer). That seemingly small air pressure difference does affect the ride. I increased the pressure for a long highway trip cuz someone told me it would reduce rolling resistance and increase my fuel economy. It didn't really make a difference in gas mileage but it did over bumps. Anyway, if you have aftermarket wheels with a lower profile tire, it could make your ride a little harsher too. If you can, go drive another stock Max and see if you notice the difference.

Old 03-09-2001, 05:25 AM

Re: i kno wat ur talking about...

I am planning to take it to Nissan to see if they can check the suspension (struts, bushings, tie rods, etc.) and while I am there, I will ask them if I can test drive a similar model just to see if there is a difference in the ride. I don't know, my current vehicle could have been in accident before I purchased it. I will let you know what my findings are.
Old 03-09-2001, 05:29 AM

You are right. The air pressure does make a bit of a difference. I dropped mine from 32 psi to 29 psi and the ride was a bit smoother. But it still rides real hard over bumps and cracks and rough roads. At high speads (80 +) it becomes a bit unstable too. Almost as if it needs more weight to keep it grounded. The steering shimmies at these speeds as well. I hope to find some answers soon.
Old 03-09-2001, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The panel on my car (1997 SE) says front pressure should be 32psi and rear 29psi. Don't forget though these are suppose to be when your car is cold, when your tires are warmed up (after you drive a few miles) the pressure will rise.
Old 03-09-2001, 06:57 AM

The tire is a major part of the suspension system. Go to big wheels and low aspect tires and the ride goes to crap. For folks who live where it snows, and the roads suck, I think the best compromise of ride and handling is a 215/60-15 tire on a 6.5 or 7 in. wide wheel. That's what I have, on a 6.5" wheel, and the ride is still fine driving around NYC. The reccomended tire press for this combination is 29 psi front and back. If you run less than 32 psi, up front on wheels bigger than 15" you run a much bigger risk of dinging your rims on pot holes.

If you've got a shimmy at 80 MPH, something is real wrong with your wheel/tire.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 AM

Air resistance predominates

Originally posted by rll96se
I increased the pressure for a long highway trip cuz someone told me it would reduce rolling resistance and increase my fuel economy. It didn't really make a difference in gas mileage ...
Higher tire pressures do decrease the rolling resistance but the improvement is trivial. On a level road there are two kinds of drag the engine must overcome: rolling resistance and air resistance. Air drag is the larger of the two, by far. Rolling resistance increases linearly as speed increases, but air resistance increases with the square of the speed. This is one reason big boxy vehicles such as vans and SUVs get poor fuel mileage at high speeds.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:35 AM

Well, when I purchased the GLE it came with General tires 205/65 R15. Didn't like them at all. Car drove like crap with them on. I had them removed and installed my Bridgestone Turanzas (215/60 H rated) and the vehicle drove much better. The shimmy at 80 + is not all that bad (very minimal, but noticeable). I thought the Maxima would ride "solid" at these speeds (my Mitsu Diamante did). However, the Maxima does not have the weight that the Mitsu. had to keep it grounded. I have read reviews by Carpoint and Car & Driver that the Maxima is a bit unstable at high speeds.

Old 03-09-2001, 11:40 AM

Oh and get your tires/wheels balanced. Vibration at ANY speed isn't normal. Mine has NO vibration at any speed and slight when braking (slighly warped rotors).
Old 03-09-2001, 04:38 PM

The Maxima's stock ride is pretty harsh to begin with. Especially when you are used to a soft ride. Compared with king of comfortable cars, the Camry, the Maxima's stock ride is almost punishing. Modded, it gets even worse.

When my Maxima was stock, I used to think to myself, man my car has a rough ride and it doesn't handle much better than a Camry. But when I lowered it and added larger rims and wider tires, the difference became trivial. The tradeoff in ride is worth the increase in cornering and driving confidence, in my opinion.

And yes, 29psi vs. 32psi does make a small difference. A very small difference. When I had 15" rims, I used to go with 32F, 30R. I think 29psi seems a bit too low, especially since all tires lose air overtime, and if you go under 29psi, you would be underinflated by the end of every week. If you did 32/30, you would go for like two or three months without worrying about your tires being underinflated. Plus, a slightly higher pressure over recommended (like +2 to 3 psi) will make your steering a bit sharper, which in my opinion is once again worth the tradeoff in compromised ride.

Old 03-09-2001, 07:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You have high unsprung weight in the back with the solid beam axle -- and heavy unsprung weight in the OEM Macpherson strut/spring assembly --

Those are your biggest ride quality killers --

Old 03-09-2001, 11:58 PM

would over or under inflated tires be better for excelleration