4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen front lip spoiler...coming loose!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The shop where I got my Stillen front lip spoiler installed and painted probably did a bad job. Actually, the paint job was good. I'm not sure if it's really their fault. Anyway, it seem that they only used the 3M tape and two screws that goes to the each side of the fender to secure the spoiler. The two fender sides that are held by the screws are secured, but not the front part where it's only held onto by 3M tape. I guess the only thing I can do is to maybe put some screws onto the front part? Have any of you guys run into a similiar problem? And what did you do about it? If you put extra screws onto the front part of the spoiler, was it hard to do? I would imagine that I probably have to jack up the car since it's lowered. What about just using some sort of superglue to keep the front part from coming loose again, is that a good idea?
Old 03-08-2001, 08:26 AM

Hi Michael,
It sounds like the body shop didn't do a good job of preping the surfaces before installing the tape. As you know, I don't have a front lip on my car but I think you have two choices.
1. Remove the lip, replace the 3M tape and re-install. This would require a lot of cleaning of the old tape and the surfaces.
2. Add a couple of screws. Screws MIGHT hold better than the tape and will be a lot quicker to do, but you will obviously have some new holes that you may not want if you ever remove the lip.

Did you get my e-mail about this Sunday?
Old 03-08-2001, 09:05 AM

Mine's fine, even after scraping the ground many times

I used two screws in the fender like you, but I didn't really use much tape. I was going to, but I always thought I might take it off and repaint it or just leave it off. Anyway, I put some double sided tape between the little air sills on the lip and the bottom of the car where the fog lights are. I've had no problems with the lip slipping, loosening, or anything like that.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:19 AM

Just do what I did,

Jack the car up and make sure it is secure, get out a drill and use a nice sharp drill bit. Drill underneath the car through the body kit and put some screws in. I personaly used 4 screws in the center front and 2 on each corner.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
Hi Michael,
It sounds like the body shop didn't do a good job of preping the surfaces before installing the tape. As you know, I don't have a front lip on my car but I think you have two choices.
1. Remove the lip, replace the 3M tape and re-install. This would require a lot of cleaning of the old tape and the surfaces.
2. Add a couple of screws. Screws MIGHT hold better than the tape and will be a lot quicker to do, but you will obviously have some new holes that you may not want if you ever remove the lip.

Did you get my e-mail about this Sunday?
Hey Keith,
I got your email about this Sunday. I don't think I can make it though. I'm bringing my car in to the dealer tomorrow to check out something. I think there's something wrong with my blower, there is a squeak like something is loose.

I think I'll try the screws thing, that should hold the darn spoiler in for sure. I think you're right Keith, the body shop seem to rush the job. Oh well, it was cheap though.

Thanks guys.