4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

power transfer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:44 PM

power transfer

Hey guys, I got my 95 stuck in the ice this afternoon at the girlfriend's house, confusing thing to me was I could hear the rpms up to between 3 and 5...right wheel was on ice, left wheel was not. So I don't know if the right wheel was trying to turn or not...but the left wheel did not seem to want to even try to move, even when I had the rpms all through the range...then suddenly it would spin...So I guess the question is shouldn't I have an even trasfer of power to both front wheels...and at least have some movement out of the driver side wheel reguardless of what the passenger side tire is doing??? I know this is what traction control is desinged to deal with, but I thought my clutch was gone because of the left wheel not giving me any action. Once I got it out of the ice went ahead and made the two hour drive home without a hitch...did the clutch test several times, and it seems fine...so could there be something wrong with the driver side transfer and my passenger front tire be pulling the whole car???? Thanks for the help in advance...and Sorry for my ignorance ...
Old 02-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You'd need a QUAIFE for that, to have even power distribution to each front wheels. But why were you at 3k-5k rpm if you were stuck on ice. The less power you give the car the easier it is to move the car in slippery situations. We don't have traction control.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You're talking about features of a limited slip differential. You have an open differential, which basically means the power will go to the wheel with the least resistance.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:04 PM

no I understand we don't have traction control...and I have a 5 speed..so that's why the rpms were so high...very hard to keep it low in first....sryth thanks for the reply..so I guess it makes sense that all the power would go to the right wheel and none to the left...thanks for the assistance guys...