4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which car should I get?
Car 1 (More money then I wanted to spend)
16.67%
Car 2
44.44%
Car 3
0%
Car 4
0%
Car 5
5.56%
Car 6
27.78%
Car 7
0%
Car 8
0%
Car 9
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Looking at becoming a Maxima owner, got questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:23 PM

Looking at becoming a Maxima owner, got questions

Ok folks, I have visited this site off and on since 2000. I have always liked the Maxima (4th generation is best imo), but have had no need for a new vehicle. Well I am now 22, getting ready to graduate college, and have good money saved up. This all leads to one thing it is time for me to get a new vehicle aka 1997-1999 Maxima SE Auto (Black/Black or Pearl White/Tan opinions welcome) I can't say enough about how much I like this car and I have never even drove one. Anyways, I have a couple questions for everyone.

1.Does this car really require premium fuel or will 87 octane be ok??

2.Is the Bose system very good (I get mixed thoughts from here? I plan to put whole new system in later,but that will be in the future. Would just add sub to existing system now. Most SE models have it anyways, but just curious)

3.Insurance?? My father's friend just got a 99 GLE for his wife and got a little suprise when they got the insurance quote. Again I am 22 and have clean driving record, not even a ticket in last three years. What do some of you pay that are close to my age. Yes I know I can get a quote, but I don't want to ask our agent because I can always have it under my Dad if need be.

4.Ok, here is the fun part. I will now list the Maxima SE's I have found in my area. Must have's for me are leather, sunroof, auto, and unless I hear otherwise Bose. So all cars have these options to save space. I will just list the Year, Miles, Color, extra options, and asking price. Also I plan on paying at least $800 less then asking price on anyone of these, so keep that in mind. All I want to know is what you guys think about my options and the price I can get them for. Any input is welcome. One note regarding price there is the trade off between year and miles. Which do you find more important I am leaning towards the lower mile 97's because there is no differnce in years I know of and I only put 10k miles a year max on a car, so it would stay low mileage.

1.99, 50k, ??color, Limited Edition, $10,995

2.97, 63k, blk/blk, All Luxury options (htd seats??), $8995 says mint mint condition

3.98,100k, white/tan, nice tint, $8950 (Don't know what she is thinking books at $7200, but none the less we can all dream)

4.98, 90k, ??color, $8500

5.97, 94k, blk/blk, heated seats, $7800

6.97, 82k, blk/blk,all options avail, $7800

7.97, 107k, white/tan, no ABS, $7500

8.97, 101k, white/tan, $7000

9.97, 73k, ??color, $6800 (haven't called might be rough or salvage or good deal)

That's what I have found. I always loved the Pearl White/Tan, but now I am thinking Black/Black would be killer (Number 2 and 6 are suppose to be in awsome shape) Let me know your thoughts and please be as detailed as possible. Don't all say number one either, it is the obvious choice, but a little more then I really wanted to spend. Also if there is anything you think I should know as a perspective Maxima owner, please let me know!! Thank you in advance as well!!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

read the FAQ about the octane rating of the gas. i would say that 87 is TOO LOW. in california 91 is the highest you can get...i suggest atleast 91. It is bad for your knock sensor to run too low of octane.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Custom User Title...

answer to question 1, yes, you should should should use premium.

my advice would go black interior. i have tan and it's ok, but i'd much prefer black, especially black leather. i'd honestly take any color max because i think they all look hot, but i'd personally stay away from black only because it's tendancy to show scratches and pollen, etc, easier. goodluck with your future max.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 PM

i'd say 1, 2, 6, or 9 but you gotta find out more information on them.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 PM

First, no, it's not absolutely critical for you to run 91+. Most of the regular max owners not on this board run 87, and you don't hear about max's exploding everyday. But if you do, there's a higher chance that your knock sensor will go bad more quickly. And the knock sensors on these cars are notorious for failing. If it fails, you won't get a cel light, but you'll experience a loss of power. Your engine goes to safer timing. Many have bad knock sensors and don't even know it. Two, yeah, some people like the bose, some don't. Why don't you just go on a test drive and listen to it? Three, insurance will vary greatly depending on the company, amount of coverage wanted, etc. You'll have to check it out for yourself. 4.... out of curiosity, why do you want a maxima? What are you looking for in a car? It's hard to answer without knowing.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 PM

get a manual
Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eric425
First, no, it's not absolutely critical for you to run 91+. Most of the regular max owners not on this board run 87, and you don't hear about max's exploding everyday. But if you do, there's a higher chance that your knock sensor will go bad more quickly. And the knock sensors on these cars are notorious for failing. If it fails, you won't get a cel light, but you'll experience a loss of power. Your engine goes to safer timing. Many have bad knock sensors and don't even know it. Two, yeah, some people like the bose, some don't. Why don't you just go on a test drive and listen to it? Three, insurance will vary greatly depending on the company, amount of coverage wanted, etc. You'll have to check it out for yourself. 4.... out of curiosity, why do you want a maxima? What are you looking for in a car? It's hard to answer without knowing.
I want a Maxima because the SE 4th generation looks really good to me, they are completely reliable and go forever, and lets face it for bang for your buck I don't know of something better (luxury, sporty, quality,milage, resell). As far as what I want the maxima fits, and yes I should go take a test drive from a dealer in one, but I would prefer to buy from an individual in the end. I just can't deciede where I want to start out milage wise. I have made up my mind the year doesn't matter 97-99. There are some nice cheaper ones around 100k, but what I want to know is for a little extra money I can get less miles so do you guys think it is worth it. At this point, I think so, but again just looking for some answers and opinions, that's all.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by wariow
get a manual
Funny thing I have not come across one, plus I thought this out and I want an auto. The extra performance is not worth it to me to mess with shifting under normal driving conditions.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by oakes57
I want a Maxima because the SE 4th generation looks really good to me, they are completely reliable and go forever, and lets face it for bang for your buck I don't know of something better (luxury, sporty, quality,milage, resell). As far as what I want the maxima fits, and yes I should go take a test drive from a dealer in one, but I would prefer to buy from an individual in the end. I just can't deciede where I want to start out milage wise. I have made up my mind the year doesn't matter 97-99. There are some nice cheaper ones around 100k, but what I want to know is for a little extra money I can get less miles so do you guys think it is worth it. At this point, I think so, but again just looking for some answers and opinions, that's all.
Sounds like you're just looking for a comfortable, reliable ride with some punch, but not a real luxury car, or a real performance machine, right? Maxima is a good match. Nice ride, pretty spirited engine. But resale is pretty sorry on maximas. And yeah, get the lowest mileage car you can, within price limits. That second car seemed pretty good, if you can talk the price down a bit. Watch out for sensors and coil packs, which tend to crap out on our cars.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:25 AM

ohhh and uhh about the mileage...i get only 16mpg city driving but that probably has to do in part that lately i have always had my heater on
Old 02-04-2004, 01:45 AM
Humble '06 TL Owner

I'll probably get flamed for this but I have never put anything but 87 in my Max and it runs perfectly, 126K miles, no knock sensor problems yet, KNOCK on wood . Try to get the heated leather seats, much more comfortable than cloth IMO. That also gets you the heated mirrors which is great in cold weather-they clear right up, no more wiping and smearing with your hands. The Max is a very comfortable ride...I have had to rent two cars recently, a Focus and a Ponticr*p Sunfire, absolute uncomfortable pieces of junk that make getting back to the Max that much nicer...
Old 02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Maxima95Tuner

1. I have never run anything but 91, and never will.

2. If you add ANYTHING aftermarket to the bose system, it will require a shop to rewire everything. If you seriously want to upgrade, dont get bose.

3. As far as insurance goes, just see for yourself. Im only 17, and my insurance is sky high, so I can't help you there.

4. 1, 2, and 6 seem like the best ones there. Check them out for yourself so you can decide if you want to throw down 10 grand for number 1.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 AM

1. There is no need to run higher octane on a regular basis on a normally aspirated car. Unless you change the dynamics of the engine componants (timing, forced induction, etc.), you don't need to run premium.

2. I would suggest that you go ahead and get a 5spd. I know that you are wanting an automagic right now, but when you ride in that thing for a while and feel the power, you will want to have a stick for the power. Plus, when you hear all of us talking about powering-up our 5spds, you will probably want that too, and 5spd conversion is not too cheap to do.

3. I personally would not go for Gold (Champagne) or Black just because they are everywhere. However, you cannot go wrong anyway you choose.

4. If you are going to get an Auto, find one with the lowest miles and drive them all to feel the tranny. Maximas are not known for having the tranny going out abnormally soon, but all autos do sooner or later. They just seem to peter out a lot quicker than the manuals do.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-04-2004, 09:17 AM

straight up you can't find a better used car for the money. i own a 2002 lex sc430 and a 2000 expedition.. i drive and put more money in the max than any other car.. i will keep it till i or it dies.. then i may still bring it back.. to me the best ones or 95-99 the 95 being the best in my opinion.
i heard those were the fastest out of the bunch.. if you don't mod it, it
will probably last forever. if you do, hold on your about to go for a beautiful ride..
Old 02-04-2004, 09:24 AM

I say go with choice number 2, it has kind of low miles, is black on black, and not a bad price at all. I have a 97 and i love it. No major problems yet and had it since June 30th, 2003. GOOD LUCK and good choice in a car!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Funny thing I have not come across one, plus I thought this out and I want an auto. The extra performance is not worth it to me to mess with shifting under normal driving conditions.
Man you just don't know. After you drive a 5 speed max driving an auto will be like taking a big shot of novocane before you get behind the wheel. If you just like the styling of a max, and have absolutely no desire to enjoy the performance attributes of your car then sure get the auto, but if you enjoy driving and want to enjoy your investment to the fullest then I suggest you find a 5 speed. You may not be all that familiar to driving one and that might have influenced your choice, but I promise after you become familiar with one you will never go back.

Oh yeah, and also consider the white on black leather option. that is what I have and I love it.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:39 AM

Insurance is higher than normal on these cars. My insurance agent told me it had an insurance rating of 17. In comparison a Ford Mustang is 25. A Honda Accord V6 is 15. My insurance is $200/month, 20 yrs old, clean record.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:59 AM

1. Owners manual and under the gas cap door both say to run premium. Guy who I bought mine from said he ALWAYS ran 89 (135K miles). I've only run 93 since I've owned it and the only problems I've had were a bad knock sensor and 1 bad 02 sensor. No big deal.

2. I give the BOSE an 8.5 out of 10. It gets pretty loud but doesn't like bass when it's turned up. It's also difficult to upgrade without upgrading the entire system.

3. Liability only : 400 every 6 months, Geico. I'm 24 with a couple speeding tix and an accident here and there.

4. I recommend a 5 spd. I think blk/blk is hot but color is your preference. Don't be scared of high miles, just make sure you know the maintenance history.

Running strong at 145K.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:48 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Boy am I tired of giving this lecture...

Running lower octane gas than is recommended in your car is not going to hurt anything BUT you will also not get maximum power and fuel efficiency out of the car. If you want maximum power and fuel efficiency, run what the manufacturer tells you to run...no more no less. Anyone who tells you that more octane is better or that there will be no effect from running less is WRONG, period. The reason is that the computer will be forced to retard the timing in order to prevent knock. When the engine senses knock it will quickly retard the timing and then slowly bump it up again until it "hears" the knocking via the knock sensor.

I find it almost impossible to beleive that running lower octane gas is going to make the knock sensor go bad any faster, but I have not researched enough to justify saying that considering the condescending attitude I have adopted here That said, the knock sensors in this car are definitely a problem area and people's go bad frequently regardless of what octane they run.

Given the above choices I would go with number one even though it's expensive. Low mileage is always nice! Have them checked out by a mechanic before you buy and buy a 5 speed or you'll probably end up putting one in later...

Bose is garbage. I wouldn't even worry about it. Get a head unit that puts out more power right away and then do speakers when you can. I ran for about 2 years with stock (non Bose) speakers, aftermarket HU, and an Alpine 300x1 amp driving a JL Audio Stealthbox (10" sub). It was not ideal, but the quality head unit (Pioneer premiere P900) made the ****ty Panasonic non-Bose speakers sound better than the Bose system anyway.

EDIT: Oh yea. I LOVE this ****ing car. I will never sell it. When we're all driving around in hydrogen powered hovercrafts in 2050 I will have a Maxima sitting on hover-blocks in my front yard, or maybe my living room. In the grand scheme of things it has been nothing but good to me, regardless of how many times I have bitterly cursed it for breaking when I had no money. Good choice.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:52 PM

There's been some good advice here, as well as bad.

First off all, PUT PREMIUM IN YOUR MAXIMA, if you buy one.. It will run smoother, quicker, and you will get much better gas milage. You will notice less i/e problems such as knock sensors etc. The manual tells you NOT to run lower for a reason.

The engine in a maxima is refined and extremely well built. Lightweight internals, microfinished components, and well recognized engineering made the VQ in the 95 up maxima one of the ten best motors in the world, every year of it's production since it's unveiling in 1994. This motor is not to be compared to your average sedan, which gets by fine on cheap gas. It's a baby that should be fed with only the best food that you can buy.

Not only do I steer clear of low octane gas, I have stopped buying gas from places like arco, which have been known for lower-quality gasoline.

If you really want a car that is going to be reliable and dependable, you are going to want to put the gasoline that the manual tells you to put in. This will prolong more than just the knock sensor. Knocking, or pinging is detonation which can damage your motor over time. Using the highest available octane of gasoline, whether it's 91 or higher will help prolong your engine's life.

As for options: In my opinion, if you are even planning to upgrade your stereo in the not-so-near future, I would steer away from the bose. As a matter of fact, I bought my car with a am/fm/cassette, and the oem, non-bose speakers. Removal of this system was very easy, and I have since replaced the deck, all four 6.5" speakers, and added a subwoofer. If I had started with the bose system, this wouldn't have been so simple.

You want an automatic, I can only imagine why. I practically learned how to drive a manual transmission in my maxima, and I'll tell you this: The car DRIVES you. After you are familiar with the manual transmission you'll NEVER want to go back. It truly utilizes the performance of this car.

Otherwise, you can probably tell by now that I could go on for pages talking about the car you aspire to purchase. I looked long and hard to find a 5-speed 95 maxima in mint condition, with milage to spec (65k in may of 2k2) Let me tell you it's like a needle in a haystack.

I voted for car #2, the 97' with 63k. If you must have an auto-tragic, this one has the least miles, respectively. It has been driven only 9k average per year, whereas #1, the 99 with 50k, has been driven 10. (a close second)

Either way, in whatever maxima you find, I urge you to buy one, as you will love it more than you would have thought you could love a car. (almost) Nothing else out there can do the wide range of things a maxima does, without breaking the bank. (that comes after you buy the car, and realize you are obsessed with buying things for it like a girlfriend)

May I be the first to welcome you (early) to the community of maxima lovers.

Peace,
Kevin

P.S. I pay ~200 a month for full coverage through progressive.com and I have a terrible driving record for the past 3 years, including a suspension.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kenji
There's been some good advice here, as well as bad.

First off all, PUT PREMIUM IN YOUR MAXIMA, if you buy one.. It will run smoother, quicker, and you will get much better gas milage. You will notice less i/e problems such as knock sensors etc. The manual tells you NOT to run lower for a reason.

The engine in a maxima is refined and extremely well built. Lightweight internals, microfinished components, and well recognized engineering made the VQ in the 95 up maxima one of the ten best motors in the world, every year of it's production since it's unveiling in 1994. This motor is not to be compared to your average sedan, which gets by fine on cheap gas. It's a baby that should be fed with only the best food that you can buy.

Not only do I steer clear of low octane gas, I have stopped buying gas from places like arco, which have been known for lower-quality gasoline.

If you really want a car that is going to be reliable and dependable, you are going to want to put the gasoline that the manual tells you to put in. This will prolong more than just the knock sensor. Knocking, or pinging is detonation which can damage your motor over time. Using the highest available octane of gasoline, whether it's 91 or higher will help prolong your engine's life.

As for options: In my opinion, if you are even planning to upgrade your stereo in the not-so-near future, I would steer away from the bose. As a matter of fact, I bought my car with a am/fm/cassette, and the oem, non-bose speakers. Removal of this system was very easy, and I have since replaced the deck, all four 6.5" speakers, and added a subwoofer. If I had started with the bose system, this wouldn't have been so simple.

You want an automatic, I can only imagine why. I practically learned how to drive a manual transmission in my maxima, and I'll tell you this: The car DRIVES you. After you are familiar with the manual transmission you'll NEVER want to go back. It truly utilizes the performance of this car.

Otherwise, you can probably tell by now that I could go on for pages talking about the car you aspire to purchase. I looked long and hard to find a 5-speed 95 maxima in mint condition, with milage to spec (65k in may of 2k2) Let me tell you it's like a needle in a haystack.

I voted for car #2, the 97' with 63k. If you must have an auto-tragic, this one has the least miles, respectively. It has been driven only 9k average per year, whereas #1, the 99 with 50k, has been driven 10. (a close second)

Either way, in whatever maxima you find, I urge you to buy one, as you will love it more than you would have thought you could love a car. (almost) Nothing else out there can do the wide range of things a maxima does, without breaking the bank. (that comes after you buy the car, and realize you are obsessed with buying things for it like a girlfriend)

May I be the first to welcome you (early) to the community of maxima lovers.

Peace,
Kevin

P.S. I pay ~200 a month for full coverage through progressive.com and I have a terrible driving record for the past 3 years, including a suspension.

Ok, I am not against the 5sp at all and I actually would like black leather better then tan in a white one also, but the problem is we are talking used here. I can't go into the dealership and load it up with what I want. I have found zero 5spds around my area. I am located in Manhattan, KS and have looked within a 500 mile radius. I am in no extreme hurry, but would like to do something in the near future. I am only stuck on having an 97-99 SE either white or black in the best shape I can find and 100k or less. That is about it. As stated earlier though it's like finding a needle in a hay stack, so if anyone knows of any let me know. (I have checked the for sale forum and found nothing that interest me that is close.)
Old 02-04-2004, 01:31 PM
ABK

1. I use 92-93 on my car all the time, I don't even wonna try putting in anything lower. I know it will make it slower because of more knock, and the computer is going to pull timing like crazy. Also it cause damage in the long run.
2. Bose system kicks *** (the best system I've heard that came stock with a car), and it's all bunch of BS about problems putting in something else. People who say that let shops do work for them because they got broken fingers.
3. Can't tell you too much about that.
4. Get something with all leather, manual is faster then auto but it what you prefer more, GET I reapet GET BOSE. and something with lower miles (common sence)
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
ABK

Oh yeah I don't get where is the logic of running something lower then 91? Slight price difference, but since your computer will pull the timing when it detects knock it's going to slow your car down and make it use gas. So you will end up spending the same amount of money on gas, driving slower, and running into the risk of damaging something. I've read couple of thread about people running on 87 and some major $hit happened to their cars.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:24 PM

Oakes57....

What it might take you doing is being patient and finding a max that you are just absolutely crazy about. I had to wait 5 months for mine to show up, but I was more picky than some others. My first stipulation was that it had to be a 5spd, and the second stipulation was that is could not be gold/beige/champagne/pebble beige/or whatever it is called. Once you find out what is really important to you in your future car, just hold onto that and keep looking until you find it.

Is it going to be hard to find? Yes. Is it going to be a needle in a haystack? Probably. For me it was because only 1 out of 10 are 5spd.

I looked on ebay and had to drive from Mississippi to Texas to get it. I just asked the guy what he would take to stop the auction right then, he told me, and I bought it.

You will find what you want...
Old 02-04-2004, 02:54 PM

i was pretty much in the same situation, i was 21, had 20+ credits left to graduate, and honda sucked, so i got rid of it, immediately went towards maxima even though i didnt know anything about the car, someone referred me to the org and the guys here bend over backwards to ehlp each other, dindt see the point in gettinga new car, and the VQ pretty much stays next to new if you change the oil.

the bose is okay, nothing special, so im going aftermarket cuz i think i can get better sound, the leather and heated winter package....awesome, convenient on those freezing cold days in jersey, id get that and all the other ammenities, the ride is really nice and thers power to spare, i paid $6300 over 7 months ago for a GLE in excellent condition, bit much but i dont really regret it to be honest, anyway, you get used to shelling out more money for octane, im a cheap ba$tard and if im okay with it, then so can anyone else be, your better safe than sorry, ive been putting in 91 octane, and im glad, because i didnt know my knock sensor was bad, if i had put anything else in id probalby be screwed. i read alot of things about the coil packs on the 99, maybe ou should read up on that, and the TSB section in the 4th gen FAQ's to get an idea of what goes wrong in the different years. damn that was long...sorry
Old 02-04-2004, 02:55 PM

It might come down to a road trip scenario or a 1 way flight to check out cars with standby for a non-car-buying trip. I've had friends drive 6+ hours and fly out to buy used cars. Check out ebay.com, carsoup.com and the for sales on the org website.

I too suggest a 5 speed. I had never driven a stick before I test drove my Maxima last spring and it was a little nerve racking to plunk down 5 grand on a car I was having difficulties operating but it was worth learning and I love it/perfer it even in stop and go rush hour traffic.

Black heated leather seats are nice. I use 90 octane because it's the same price as the 87 at the gas station I frequent.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Cheesing away...

Ok, I am not against the 5sp at all and I actually would like black leather better then tan in a white one also, but the problem is we are talking used here. I can't go into the dealership and load it up with what I want. I have found zero 5spds around my area. I am located in Manhattan, KS and have looked within a 500 mile radius. I am in no extreme hurry, but would like to do something in the near future. I am only stuck on having an 97-99 SE either white or black in the best shape I can find and 100k or less. That is about it. As stated earlier though it's like finding a needle in a hay stack, so if anyone knows of any let me know. (I have checked the for sale forum and found nothing that interest me that is close.)
Good luck trying to find a 5spd in Manhattan. I couldn't even find one in Kansas City metro area.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:10 PM

I second on the black leather. I like it.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:33 PM

I make sure that the maximas I get have the Bose audio for sure. I have put a lot of aftermarket audio in a lot of cars and it's all just a bunch of money, time, and sometimes problems (electrical). And on top of that aftermarket headunits dont look like they belong with the rest of the dash. Obviously the bose system is not the best possible system to have but it adequatly fufills my audio requirements. I have never had anything but praise about the bose system from passengers.

For gas, i only run premium, a friend who had the 95 as long as i had mine only ran the cheapest they could find, neither of us had any problems.

For insurance I currenly pay like 45 a month on the 95, and 90 a month on the 2K

I voted number 6, to me hight miles in a max are not a big deal at all, as long as the car hasnt been beaten.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Cheesing away...

FYI, if you get BOSE, its alot harder to upgrade the stereo system
Old 02-04-2004, 03:37 PM

Well there was this one awhile back, but don't know if it is still for sale or not. Also don't like to see pictures of the car at the track and those wheels suck. And his price is a lil steep imo given the miles, thoughts????
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267877
Old 02-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ABK
Oh yeah I don't get where is the logic of running something lower then 91? Slight price difference, but since your computer will pull the timing when it detects knock it's going to slow your car down and make it use gas. So you will end up spending the same amount of money on gas, driving slower, and running into the risk of damaging something. I've read couple of thread about people running on 87 and some major $hit happened to their cars.
ECU retarding timing makes it run richer? Explain how you came to that conclusion. There was a thread about this a while ago in the 5th gen forum, I think. Some people even get better gas mileage on lower octane. And the performance difference is unnoticeable. I've never run less than 89 before, usually I use 92, but when I do run 89, mileage is about the same, sometimes better, sometimes worse. And for people who drive a lot, the $5 or so saved at each fill up really adds up.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Cheesing away...

I think Dale is still trying to sell his car.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:37 PM

A 99 SE for $11 grand and only 50K, that sounds like a big time winner there. I know 5-speeds aren't the easiest to come by, but they are worth the wait, or trip. I flew 800 miles from Chicago to Oklahoma City in April 2001 to get my 99 SE-L. The manual is wonderful, it's almost like an automatic. I just can't say enough about the pure enjoyment you would get from it. The other funny thing is this is the first manual I have ever owned, I had always wanted one. I only drove my cousins 92 Max a few miles to kind of coordinate through the gears, I then went 2 days later to buy mine and drive it home 800 miles. It isn't hard to learn at all. You get better fuel economy, your engine runs cooler and under less stress, and you tend to have less problems with a manual.

As for fuel, I figure if you're going to spend to get a nice car, then put good fuel in it. I always use 93 octane, (in Chicago it goes 87, 89, 93), and honestly even if I use 87, I'm only going to save a couple dollars, or roughly $200-$250 over the course of a year. Nothing significant enought for me personally to justify 87 octane.

Good luck with your purchase, you are definetely choosing the right car!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 PM
ABK

It doesn't make it run richer. It just kills the power. I guess if you are rolling on the highway going 65 it doesn't really matter but stop and go driving you will encounter alot more knock and therefore it will pull it alot which brings down the power which makes you give it more gas to get it going.

But that's what I think, and I've heard it somewhere else too.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:03 PM

test drive before purchasing. check for evrything to work properly,

-rafal
Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ABK
It doesn't make it run richer. It just kills the power. I guess if you are rolling on the highway going 65 it doesn't really matter but stop and go driving you will encounter alot more knock and therefore it will pull it alot which brings down the power which makes you give it more gas to get it going.

But that's what I think, and I've heard it somewhere else too.
You're saying that, for example, a car without retarded timing will may be able to get up to 35 in 7 secs, driving normally, with rpms in a middle range, versus a car with retarded timing that will only get up to 35 in 7.1 secs driving normally, and if people want the retarded timing car to get up to 35 in only 7 secs, they're going to have to press raise the rpms and use more gas, right? People who care about gas prices to run a less expensive octane are probably not the same people who go around flooring it all the time. They probably won't care that it takes 1/10th of second longer to get up to speed, and won't raise the rpms/use more gas needed in order to do that. Or you're saying that the car will be able to start moving at a lower rpm with the premium, advanced timing versus needing a higher rpm/more gas used to start moving with the regular, retarded timing. But the difference is immeasureably small. It's just 5-10 hp/tq, and breaking the car's initial inertia only lasts for a split second. So maybe you need another 100 rpms to start, for a half second, and then you'd just accelerate at the normal, lower rpm, but at slightly slower pace (Which the people worried about gas prices/fuel wouldn't care about). The difference of the initial 100 rpms is nearly nil. Leave the car idling for another 10 seconds, and you have wasted 140 times the amount of gas lost by retarding timing. Because 100x.5 secs = 50 turns of the crank, and the gas used to turn it is directly proportional. And idling at 700x10 secs= 7000 needless turns of the crank, and that gas wasted is a hundred and forty times the gas used to break the inertia of the sitting car. So either way, the difference is small to the point of being unmeasurable.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 PM

Ok everyone what do you guys think of these 5sd's?? Any thoughts on options, miles, and asking price??

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=283900

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267877
Old 02-05-2004, 03:18 PM

First off these are built in Japan cars. Japan had a problem with getting high octane fuel for their zeros in WWII. These engines will run fine with 87 and it will not damage anything. I seriously doubt your even buying 91 92 or 93 octane. Your probably getting 87 and paying the higher price, since it is rarely even checked.
Higher octane means they oxygenate it with more oxygen molecules so your getting less gas for the buck just not worth it and it's another way gas stations make more money.
Buy the lowest priced maxima with the lowest miles you can't go wrong with a maxima unless the underbody is rusted out.
With 223k on my 95 I probably won't be buying another car. New cars from dealerships are not worth 30k I don't care what anyone says.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
First off these are built in Japan cars. Japan had a problem with getting high octane fuel for their zeros in WWII. These engines will run fine with 87 and it will not damage anything. I seriously doubt your even buying 91 92 or 93 octane. Your probably getting 87 and paying the higher price, since it is rarely even checked.
Higher octane means they oxygenate it with more oxygen molecules so your getting less gas for the buck just not worth it and it's another way gas stations make more money.
Buy the lowest priced maxima with the lowest miles you can't go wrong with a maxima unless the underbody is rusted out.
With 223k on my 95 I probably won't be buying another car. New cars from dealerships are not worth 30k I don't care what anyone says.

Some good points, but the Amoco's, Shell's, Mobil's, etc... are selling you higher octane when it says on there. There are undercover inspections on this, as well as how accurate the pump charges you for gallons put in.

Our engines have a high enough compression ratio to use higher octane if you want to maximize the performance, which I do! Some cars aren't made for it and shouldn't use it because over time, it could leave deposits due to not burning the fuel off completely. For the couple extra bucks, I just put in the higher octane. Again, the Japs design the car to run on 87 octane, but have maximum performance with 91+.

Hey, $30K is a lot of money, but I would pay that for a Max if I had it for 233K! My cousin ran his 92 all the way up to 270K!

Quick Reply: Looking at becoming a Maxima owner, got questions