4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stone Racing Header/Y-pipe Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Jeff, did you forget to mention that your car was 'freaky fast' to begin with?
Well...DaveB already said that other 4th gens with the same mods (before headers) are making just about the same power.

BTW...Feb 20th I'll get to change that little 1/4 mile time in my siggy too.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by meccanoble
just my thoughts. I wouldnt mind giving up 5-10 dollars to have someone test out these headers/y-pipe seperate...
I would also be willing to do that too...
Old 02-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by MrEous
Well...DaveB already said that other 4th gens with the same mods (before headers) are making just about the same power.
There was a guy in our KC Maxima group that put down 172fwhp/182fwtq with an intake and catback. He ran a low 14.8@93mph with a 2.2 60'. Funny thing was after he got a y-pipe, he was still stuck running 14.8s

Dave
Old 02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Father of the 00 VI

They will have to sell the headers seperate ,because i'm not throwing $400 down the drain by getting rid of my cattman y-pipe . I'll buy the shortys seperate. Have them put on with my 2000 engine.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am interested in the shorties also for turbo project, so I don't have to make any of my own.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:34 PM

Stone Headers/Y-pipe GroupBuy Info

Guys,
I am working on getting 2 Groupbuys.
1) The Stone Racing headers/Y-pipe (With complete gasket set) at very special introductory price.
2) Headers alone for those who already have the y-pipe and/or want to do a Turbo project at a special price too.

Sorry the Y-pipe is not available for sale alone.

MSRP for the complete set is $599 plus shipping and handling. Groupbuy price are to be set soon, however, it would be very aggressive.

Now I will start uploading Dyno Graphs and dyno runs...

Nashua.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Old Maxima Legend

interested in price on just shorties too
Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 PM

Dyno Graphs and files

Here is the 95-99 Maxima Stone Racing Headers/Y-pipe Before and After Dyno Graphs:

Wheel STD Horse Power Gain:

Wheel STD lb.ft Torque Gain:

Actual before Dyno files:
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.001
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.002
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.003

Actual After Dyno files:
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.004
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.005
http://home.comcast.net/~beiruty/Maxima/MrEous.006

Dynojet Viewer can be downloaded here:
http://www.dynojet.com/viewer/RunViewer7.0.1.0.zip

Enjoy

Nashua.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 PM
SLOW

Nice numbers, it looks to me like you are making more power than with Y pipe alone, but unfortunately since our requests were ignored once again, we still don't know exactly what gains the HEADERS ALONE give over and above the gains of the Y-pipe. It's amazing to me that so many people can say the same thing and have the requests still ignored. Unbelievable.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 PM
V^___^V

here's my pros and cons:

pros:
- i see a good WHP/WTQ throughout the entire RPM.
- not bad for its price
- the header looks like high quality, not some cheap krap

cons:
- installation seems hard without professional
- fitment issues

cons for people in CA:
- i doubt stone racing have CARB for their header, that means the header needs to be swapped out every 2 year for emission (high possibility failing visual inspection), which could be pain in the butt...

but yea... very nice setup man
Old 02-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Nealoc, look back, i asked the same thing again in this new thread. Oh well. Buy because they're shiny i guess? It's funny how Don managed to gain next to nothing, maybe that's why they won't answer our questions.

LEMAR
Old 02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
no more maxima...

I want to see a dyno of the shorty headers alone.

...wait a minute, this has been asked 40e123123 times before.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM
§č~® f®ČÄk

this is terrible marketing
Old 02-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Ok, let's ask one more time. Pretty soon he can't ignore us. There will be a page full of the same question over and over again.

LEMAR
Old 02-10-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Ok, let's ask one more time.
OK

Soooo...Uhhmm...can we have a y-yipe only then shorty header/y-pipe dyno??

Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96

Soooo...Uhhmm...can we have a y-yipe only then shorty header/y-pipe dyno??

what he said but let me clarify, a header/aftermarket y pipe dyno
thank you very much!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This whole thing amazes me. Of course you are going to see gains when you compare bone stock vs. headers/ypipe. Even if the headers *stole* power, you'd still see significant gains. These dynos tell us nothing about the headers, which is what everyone is interested in.

There seems to be a communication breakdown somewhere.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 AM

Guys,

The headers alone will show positive gain on their own. No question about that. We are offering a kit that maximizie the WHP/WTQ gain and has an advantage on the competition.

If you want the headers alone since you have already a y-pipe or you are doing a special turbo project, then I will do that, on NA application you would expect 5-10 WHP and 5 lbft of torque at wheels. On SC/Turbo is a totally different story!

I will announce the GB prices later today.

Nashua.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:04 AM
§č~® f®ČÄk

Originally Posted by Nashua_Night_Ha
Guys,

The headers alone will show positive gain on their own. No question about that. We are offering a kit that maximizie the WHP/WTQ gain and has an advantage on the competition.

If you want the headers alone since you have already a y-pipe or you are doing a special turbo project, then I will do that, on NA application you would expect 5-10 WHP and 5 lbft of torque at wheels. On SC/Turbo is a totally different story!

I will announce the GB prices later today.

Nashua.

do you think we're morons? people have seen up to 20 WHP with just a y pipe, if you take ur gains and subtract 20 from that u can be in the negatives WITH ur headers. you have absolutely no proof that the headers ALONE will provide 5 - 10 WHP, we asked you about a million times to dyno it the right way but you didnt.

Everyone on this board knows what a y-pipe can add. you just basically confirmed that a header doesnt add anything good luck making some sales
Old 02-11-2004, 06:54 AM

nismos14 ,
To each has his own opinion!
I provided Dyno, Indpendent testing for the kit we sell. If you are interested in Headers only, you can do your own dyno testing.

Nashua.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:09 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nashua_Night_Ha
on NA application you would expect 5-10 WHP and 5 lbft of torque at wheels. On SC/Turbo is a totally different story!
...and if you would have listened to everyone that was asking you to dyno just the headers...and proved this gain, you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. You'd sell a ton of them.

Smart business move though.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 AM

You'll need to shut the f@ck up. Damn, he spent alot of money and time to get this out. If he did not do a good enough job, don't but them and shut up. I am tired of you people *****ing. I does not own a maxima and he had to send out the products to get tested. I think anyone want to go and spend $200 to get the shorty headers tested(stock dyno and dyno with shorties installed after they have been driven around for awhile so ecu can compensate). He had brought a product out for us for a resanable price, be happy.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:19 AM
^ Jeff™

Up to 20hp gains from a y-pipe alone? Just curious, who? I'd like to contact them.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:31 AM
ejj

First of all...work on your grammer a tad:

Originally Posted by spanishrice
You'll need to shut the f@ck up.
You will need to shut the **** up? When?

alot
not a word...

I does not own a maxima and he had to send out the products to get tested.

You're missing a simple point. There are 100's of guys on here that already have an aftermarket y-pipe. There's a HUGE demand for just the headers only.

If he would have been smart enough to prove that they provide gains, he'd sell a ton of them. He flat out ignored that request, so now I doubt that he'll sell many sets.

Sure, he can do whatever he'd like. They are his product, and they look quite nice. However, why you wouldn't do this test (unless you think/know you can't back up your claims) is beyond me.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by MrEous
Up to 20hp gains from a y-pipe alone? Just curious, who? I'd like to contact them.
The only guy that dynoed close to 20whp (18whp I believe) with a y-pipe was the Motorvate guy, but the correction factors of .98 before the y-pipe and 1.03 y-pipe installed really skews the data to the point that it's worthless information. A Y-pipe (Budget, Warpspeed, Cattman, Stillen) on a 4th gen Maxima will gain ~12fwhp. Teamed with an intake, it's not uncommon to go from ~165whp to 180whp.

Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 08:11 AM

Ok, I'm so happy the ORG is back so I can reply to this topic...

As Jeff (MrEous) mentioned in his first post, me, him, and two good friends within DNE all did this install. From that experience alone, forgetting the fact that the y-pipe was the biggest POS i've ever seen, these things are in every way shape and form WORTHLESS IMO.

The front header wasn't to bad to get to and replace. Take the fans out and it's pretty easy to get to all the header bolts, except one. One of the AC lines is directly in the way of one of the bolts, but luckily I had bought a wobble just the week before. The rear was a flat out pain in the ***. Somewhere in the poor excuse for instructions we received, they mentioned taking out the cross member to make it easier to get to the rear header, but i'm not sure if that would have helped as much as it said. We ended up taking the intake manifold off which I can do in 30 mins tops due to a nightmare I put myself in a while back. Side note, a long time ago I took mine off for fun (yes, just for fun) and cleaned the WHOLE thing out. After inhaling fumes for a while we were pretty happy and there was a ton of black liquid coming out. Once we put everything back together, my top end had a night and day difference in performance. Just an FYI. So, we took it off to get to the rear header and it was a pain in the a$$ to get out. Some of the bolts you could get from below and some from above. We removed a lot of the heat shields between the rear manifold and the firewall. The heat shield on the manifold itself we literally BEAT to $hit to get out of our way. I don't see how anyone can get to a few of the bolts without getting that POS out of the way first. The other problem that caused the most pain and is technically still a problem is the EGR tubing on the rear manifold. I'm not sure what maxima they were basing these off of, but my 95 GXE and Jeff's 99 SE-L both had the exact same design and the headers were so off it wasn't even funny. If you look at the left manifold plurco posted, that's the rear, and that tube thing is supposed to hookup to the EGR tube that feeds into the EGR system. That thing has got to be 6 inches too long! I was furious. Some nice people at Lowes cut the pipe for us but could not flare the end like it's supposed to be. We basically hooked it up and put a lot of high temp sealant on the connection.

Once we finally got the headers on I was so relieved, considering we had spent a good solid 10 or 11 hours on this and I was ready to put the y on and be done. Sure enough the rear flange on the y was so off it was nuts. Luckily I work in a sheet metal fab shop and we could try to fix the problem but that was easier said than done surprisingly. Putting the stock y pipe on the aftermarket headers was a joke. The first time we basically had to bang the damn thing on. Later, after taking it off and putting it on 5 times, it got easier each time.

Another note about the headers being worthless is the fact that they are a stainless steel remake of the stock design. These headers are NOT equal length (far from it) but they should in theory allow a bit more exhaust flow. And to add to another argument, the cattman headers aren't equal length either. The y pipe part has the curve to make that part equal lenght, but if you pay attention to the actual smaller pipes that meet up with the rest of the piping, those are not equal length, so it defeats the purpose of having the rest be equal length.

So, in conclusion, these things are worthless. We all know from all the pics that the manufacturing quality of the prototypes were horrible including the fact that the studs on the manifolds themselves that bolt up the y pipe were bolts you can get from Home Depot just welded in. The EGR part was just all f*cked up and requires outside fabrication that really can't be done at any regular shop. For the slight power increase that you MIGHT be getting over just an everyday aftermarket y pipe, it's not worth the install pains and cost.

I can't give a big enough thumbs down to these things.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:13 AM

You'll need to shut the f@ck up. .
Say what you need to say and chill with the attitude man.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You'll need to shut the f@ck up. Damn, he spent alot of money and time to get this out. If he did not do a good enough job, don't but them and shut up. I am tired of you people *****ing. I does not own a maxima and he had to send out the products to get tested. I think anyone want to go and spend $200 to get the shorty headers tested(stock dyno and dyno with shorties installed after they have been driven around for awhile so ecu can compensate). He had brought a product out for us for a resanable price, be happy.
Be happy because this product "might" work or might not work? I don't know what world you live in, but when it comes to me spending money on my car, I want products that are proven to work.

If I owned a business, I'd understand that you must invest your own money in the product and do R&D to prove your product is better than the competition. I don't know why it's so hard for companies that sell headers to understand that we need to see a headers vs y-pipe dyno plot. Why someone who didn't have a y-pipe was considered as the test mule is beyond me. Do you not see why we have a problem with this? If you're going to introduce a product be prepared to spend the money to prove that it works. The company can even dyno one of their own cars as long as they have a third party from the Org come in and watch the dyno to make sure the dyno operator doesn't adjust dyno setting and correction factors to show fake power gains. A $1000 investment upfront and proof of gains would definately pay for itself in the long run.

If I ever consider making parts, I will dyno religously. If the part doesn't make useable power, it won't be sold. I'd also not require my test car clients to pay for testing or install. I'd only ask them to pay for the cost of the part assuming that it makes power. I'd also make them sign a document saying they agree to the stipulations.

Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 09:12 AM

BlueBOB,

Let me say 2 Words:
1) The Prototype you had were only a PROTOTYPE! Whatever, fitment issues you had would be corrected.
2) The headers/Y-pipe are NOT worthless, You witnessed the Dyno and good gains were proven. MrEous Dyno is just the proof.

Getting up 18 WHP and at least 15 lbft of torque for less than $599 is great value for your dollar!

Nashua.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:17 AM

I understand they were prototype, I really do. But the EGR thing should have been OBVIOUS in the design phase.

And how can you say these things are worth $599 when an expensive aftermarket y pipe is $250 and it gets almost the same numbers. MAYBE 1 or 2hp less. Are you honestly telling me that an extra $350 is worth spending for 1 or 2hp.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBOB
I understand they were prototype, I really do. But the EGR thing should have been OBVIOUS in the design phase.

And how can you say these things are worth $599 when an expensive aftermarket y pipe is $250 and it gets almost the same numbers. MAYBE 1 or 2hp less. Are you honestly telling me that an extra $350 is worth spending for 1 or 2hp.

Our main competition is headers/Y-pipe kits like that from Cattman which is priced $150 more you need your own Gasket kit.

BTW, the GB price is way less than MSRP!

Nashua.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 AM

I don't care how you look at it. Even if you are competing against Cattman, you're losing that battle and even when you compare against just buying an aftermarket y pipe, you're losing that battle too!

Unless you sell these things at $300, they might be worth it. Any other way you look at it, these things provide no advantage for the cost you pay and the horrible labor you have to go through.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
^ Jeff™

just a quick side note...the instructions for header removal/installation was pulled off of the Org
Old 02-11-2004, 09:35 AM

you keep saying MSRP, well if anyone sold anything at the manufacturers suggested retail price then there would be many many businesses that went under quick. Nearly all mobile retailers sell at MAP, no lets see if you know what that means.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The simple fact remains...any proof whatsoever that the headers alone are worth their weight in **** has yet to come foreward.

BTW - I am going to start marketing a new product soon. It's a variant of the Tornadoe Air intake booster. I am also including a ypipe in the deal. I will let you guys know when I get some test cars fitted with it...here's how the dynos are gonna run:

Dyno1: Test car bone stock
Dyno2: Test car with my SUPER-Tornado and ypipe

I'm sure these dyno results will prove once and for all that the tornado air is completely worth the money.

Oh, and the kit is only gonna cost you $599. That's actually less than the MSRP for this!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sryth
The simple fact remains...any proof whatsoever that the headers alone are worth their weight in **** has yet to come foreward.

BTW - I am going to start marketing a new product soon. It's a variant of the Tornadoe Air intake booster. I am also including a ypipe in the deal. I will let you guys know when I get some test cars fitted with it...here's how the dynos are gonna run:

I'm sure these dyno results will prove once and for all that the tornado air is completely worth the money.

Oh, and the kit is only gonna cost you $599. That's actually less than the MSRP for this!
LOL

Old 02-11-2004, 09:55 AM

Old 02-11-2004, 09:56 AM

oooooo you said ****!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:06 AM
ejj

Best post in this thread! You hit the nail right on the head!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by plurco
oooooo you said ****!
Creative, huh?

Quick Reply: Stone Racing Header/Y-pipe Review