4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need big help! Tranny wont go into 1st or 2nd!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need big help! Tranny wont go into 1st or 2nd!!!!!

As the title states. I dont know wtf is wrong with the tranny. I was just driving normally, went to go downshift into 2nd, and it wouldnt go into gear. Well i figured if i just popped it back into neutral and try again, it would work. Well, it didnt. I kept trying and trying to get it to go in 2nd, but to no avail. Its almost as if the clutch isnt grabbing or something. If i keep trying to force it, it sounds like its grinding, but still wont go in. Feels like your trying to push it into gear without the clutch.

Well, then i decided to just pull over, turn off the car and see what happened. well, what happened was it didnt want to go into 1st either. Luckily for me, i was able to jam it, and i mean jam it into first and it would go, but i had to shift straight to third.

Has anyone had any problems similar to this?! or does anyone know what could be causing this? Could is be the clutch not engaging?! I obviously know nothing about trannies, im gonna have my friend mechanic look at it tomorrow. Also, not sure if this is of any relevence, but i have been hearing a slight ticking noise when the car is in gear driving, never while stopped. I first heard this noise about 2 days ago...

Dammit im so pi$$ed off!!!!!!!!

Eric
Old 02-06-2004, 07:46 PM

I had this same problem a few weeks ago, almost got stuck in the middle of a road because i couldn't get it into gear. I checked my clutch fluid and yup, i was out. Just poured some more in and bleed out all the air. Works great now theres a very very small leak (not worht fixing). That might be your problem also.

The resevor is up on the driver's side up by the firewall.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by skiboarder72
I had this same problem a few weeks ago, almost got stuck in the middle of a road because i couldn't get it into gear. I checked my clutch fluid and yup, i was out. Just poured some more in and bleed out all the air. Works great now theres a very very small leak (not worht fixing). That might be your problem also.

The resevor is up on the driver's side up by the firewall.
Wouldnt it be doing it in every gear maybe???

Im going outside to check it now anyways...

EDIT: I went outside and checked it, and its more closer to the max line then to the min line...

My friend also came by (the mechanic) to check it out and he said its definately got to be in the tranny. Im gonna be calling my extended warranty company on monday but im 99% sure they wont cover it...

Eric
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 PM

Turns out it was a shift fork, or so we think. The trannys gonna be taken tonight to our family friend who will start the teardown tomorrow and stuff. Hopefully i'll have it back by friday

Eric
Old 02-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Better late than never, I suppose...my thoughts/questions:

Does it shift when the car is off? If so, my guess would be that one of the clutch components is failing.

If it still doesn't shift (car off), you'll most likely have to open up the tranny and have a look. It's definitely not the clutch.

I had a problem with my shifter...and it turned out that one of my bearings ate itself and dropped into the shift linkage.