4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Grinding noise from wheel...Already searched, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Grinding noise from wheel...Already searched, please advise

I have had this grinding noise for about 2 weeks coming from the rear left wheel. It is really heard from 10mph - 1mph...When I hit the breaks it grinds even louder. When I start off in first gear, I hear it grind instantly and then as I get faster, it grinds once for every rotation of the wheel and even more at higher speeds.

The visible effects is my dirtied rim with some sort of little greasy shavings of metal? It's something that is coming from wheel/rotor/cv axle/brake/whatever...

After searching, it looks like it is one of 2 things...The cv axle or the rotor dust shields, which might needed to be pushed back away from the rotor?

Any help would be really appreciated....I cringe everytime I break...any suggestions please....
Old 02-17-2004, 10:22 PM

would be a torn cv boot if there would be grease on your rim. Other than that check the cv axle to see if the boot is torn.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:04 PM

it may be your rear brakes. i had this problem, it ended up my rear pistons were seized, which caused the pads to wear unevenly, and one pad wore all the way down to the metal and ate away at my rotor (the grinding noise). if this is the case, i started a nother thread today asking about what i need to replace.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:18 AM

i had this happen to my front left tire not too long ago... i just pushed the rotor guard back a little bit and the sound went away. try that, plus it's a free fix, so if it doesn't work then there's no loss. good luck!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:07 AM

If from the rear, and you'e seeing little metal shavings, I'd go with what aznsap said. Check those pads, you may be in to the backing plate, which is wearing away and grinding your rotor. If caught soon enough, the rotor could be saved by having it turned. If not, you'll need to replace it. If only one pad is wearing (or only one wheel), it could be a stuck caliper, which would need rebuilt or replaced. Also check your parking brake cable to make sure it isn't stuck from being corroded by road salt, etc. (you're in Jersey, so road salt is a factor).

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 06:36 AM

Ditto above. I would guess that your rear caliper has gone through the inside brake pad and is digging in to you rotor. Simple way to find out of this is the case, is to take your tire off, and run you hand on the back side of the rotor. If its all torn up then you know what the problem is.

By the way, I'm in NJ and Strauss auto parts has rotors for real cheap.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions...I am gonna try these

any others?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by aznsap
it may be your rear brakes. i had this problem, it ended up my rear pistons were seized, which caused the pads to wear unevenly, and one pad wore all the way down to the metal and ate away at my rotor (the grinding noise). if this is the case, i started a nother thread today asking about what i need to replace.
i had same problem and found out it was my rear brakes. Plus my calipers were super tight or something, well they were hurting...