4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shifting automatics

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:07 AM

yeah...dont do it. If you have to urge to do it...go and get a 5-spd. But sooner or later you are going to experience problems with ur tranny. Think about it...
Old 02-20-2004, 07:26 AM

yea dont be stupid like me guys
Old 02-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I've been manually upshifting and downshifting my auto for 7 years now. At 184,000 miles, it's starting get weak.

Every day, on the way home from work, I'm braking down from 60 to 45 to take the on-ramp. I shift down into second so I can push around the ramp hard and hit the freeway as fast as I can.

This kind of treatment on an almost daily basis hasnt seemed to harm my transmission all that much.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK let me clarify something, if i'm wrong please feel free to correct me... There is nothing wrong with upshifting auto trans for obvious reason, but people seem to think for some that downshifting is bad....What do you ppl think happens when you floor the gas pedal at any speed under approx. 125 mph.... <GASP> the auto tranny downshifts into the next lowest gear (sometimes depending on speed 2 gears lower) If it didn't downshift your acceleration would SUCK once you were in forth gear until you came to a complete stop... So in turn when you downshift yourself, not only is it ok but its actually not as bad on tranny if you downshift without flooring it, cause your going to go into a lower gear at a lower rpm than you would if you had floored it which isn't bad for your tranny at all...So please someone who disagree's explain to me how manually doing what your car does ALL the time can be bad for your tranny? The only think i can think of is if your like me and shift often, your tranny will go through more shifts than just leaving in drive which will eventually wear on your tranny but only slightly more than normal.... BTW i've got 155k on my auto tranny and i'm on my second engine but tranny is running perfectly.... and i shift almost every time i drive...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM

wat happened to your first engine?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
I've been manually upshifting and downshifting my auto for 7 years now. At 184,000 miles, it's starting get weak.

Every day, on the way home from work, I'm braking down from 60 to 45 to take the on-ramp. I shift down into second so I can push around the ramp hard and hit the freeway as fast as I can.

This kind of treatment on an almost daily basis hasnt seemed to harm my transmission all that much.

I don't have as many miles as Ben but I've been back and forth between 3rd and 4th gears and even down to second when I want to accelerate hard onto a highway. I've been commuting 80 miles a day to and from work and it shifts fine.
I bought the car with 43000 and I have 136000 now.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:53 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by mzmtg

on ben and deezo.

i've been manually upshifting/downshifting for the last 2 years. nearly every stop light, traffic, etc. but i never downshift over 3,000rpm. my tranny had 64,000mi 2 years ago, now i have about 100,200mi. tranny still shifting like new.

think about it. if you press your gas pedal a little too hard your tranny downshift automatically vs. you manually downshift the from OD/off (3rd gear) to 2 (2nd gear) is the same thing... as long you don't downshift at high rpm.

personally i recommend downshifting at the following spec:
OD/on to OD/off (4th to 3rd): 60mph, rpm at 3,000rpm in OD/off
OD/off to 2 (3rd to 2nd): 40mph, rpm at 3,000rpm in 2
2 to 1 (2nd to 1st): never. u will be slow enough brake.

i never downshift to 1. i always downshift a bit under 3,000rpm at othe gears. it helps you have better control with your car when it's in proper gears...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 AM
V^___^V

also here's how i drive regularly:

in the parking lot: always in 1 (1st gear). cuz i don't want it to shift automatically to 3rd or 4th gear.

in 25mph residential zone: always in 2nd. the tranny will shift from 1st gear to 3,000rpm and stay in 2nd. it helps me brake at stop sign as well as accelerating when i need to.

in 45mph local streets: always OD/off (3rd gear). it helps me to speed up or slow down without applying too much brake. at the stop light i down shift to 2nd around 40mph- and helps me stop even better.

on hwy: obviously in 4th gear. but when it gets down to 60mph i turn my OD/off so i can get back in 3rd gear, punch it a bit to 75mph to get my speed back up to follow the traffic.

i drive average 16,000mi/year. tranny still like new. no problem. it helps me to have more control over my car, acting as 4-spd maxima without using clutch. yes it still shift automatically, but more control over my car at any speed interval. if u wanna downshift in automatic just make sure you downshift under 3,000rpm.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:11 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by SkyMaxGTR
i use to start in 1, but i realized it didn't do much help for me, so i stopped. then i read that 2 was good, so i put it into 2 before a race. but now after my tranny problem, i realized 2 didn't really do much either, and D is just the best way to go. then all you have to worry about is the signal to go, and power braking. Power braking is holding the brake with your left foot, and using the right foot to give alittle gas. press hard on the brake and give alil bit of gas till the RPMS are inbetween 1500 and 2000. when you do this the nose of the car will seem to lift. then as your signaled to go, let off the brake and give the gas.
I tried that a auto X last year and the transmission didn't sound very good. It gave off a weird rumbling kind of noise.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:18 PM

To the people that think their car is faster shifting it by hand---take it to the track and try one run in Drive with overdrive on, then try playing with it. I guarantee you will feel like an idiot afterwards. There is no way you can shift faster than an ECT.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by willy431
To the people that think their car is faster shifting it by hand---take it to the track and try one run in Drive with overdrive on, then try playing with it. I guarantee you will feel like an idiot afterwards. There is no way you can shift faster than an ECT.
true but if you shift from 1 to 2 to D you can control 1st & 2nd to go to the redline....wouldn't that be slightly (and i mean slightly) faster???
I don't know cause i don't shift that way and I've never been to the track but it would make sense...

Sam
Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by willy431
Which is why I don't shift at the track. I've found it takes to long to shift unless you have the VB mod.