4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Major engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Major engine problems

Heres the Story. My 96 Maxima just one day wouldn't start. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine who works for mobil. He checked it out, changed a bunch of sensors, changed the starter, did all he could do, still wouldn't start. He gave it to some a diagnostic place he works with. They tell me that the timing chain slipped and I probably have major damage inside. They said that they tested the cylinder and found that there was no pressure. They related this to the timing chain. There really isn't any reason for them to lie to me about this since they were just doing me a favor and not charging. They recommended an engine swap instead of digging inside the engine and fixing everything. I found a place called alliance auto parts (allianceautoparts.com). They gave a good price and three month warranty on parts and labor. They said they would pick up the car on monday and have it back to me by thursday. Monday they didn't pick up the car, they only came on tuesday. At that point they said that the car would be ready by friday. Friday came and surprise the car wouldn't start. They said that I should call tomorrow when they find the problem. Saturday I call and they still don't know whats wrong. They are claiming that the engine was swapped. I agreed to the engine swap because mine had 142k and the one they were going to put in had 60k. But I'm not so sure that they did. Monday comes, and still no answer, they say that they gave it to their diagnostic crew and they will find out whats wrong. They told me not to worry that they wouldn't do anything without my consent, just tell me the problem. Monday night still no answer. Tuesday, they claim that the car is started, running and for me to come get it on wednesday. Wednesday there was no way for me to get the car. Thursday they call me and tell me there is something wrong with the alarm that they can't get inside the car and ask me to come down. They tell me that they had it running perfectly. I come and there is nothing wrong with the alarm, it works fine. The guy tells me it started working half and hour ago. The car still doesn't start. Then he starts bs about everything he did, which again seems to be nothing. How is that it was working one day and not the next. I took a trip there for no reason. Today is friday, I need my car desperatly. They still don't have any answers for me only he is trying to figure out what is wrong. I want to get my car back and just go to someone else competent closer to home. I don't want to pay them because it looks like they havn't done anything. How do I go about this?? I need some advice on how to handle this situation. Thanks
Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 AM

you're in NY, and their's lots of maxima specialty shops near by you. try to see if any of them are willing to help you. and dont give that other shop any $$$ till they can prove they did something
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

tell them that you want your old engine back, and if they tell you there comething abut a core, tell them there is no core charge on a slavage, non- rebuilt engine. How much did these guys quote you?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23 AM

Sounds like a classic bendover to me. I have a similar situation in that my car wont start. If the dealership comes back saying my chain slipped and my engine needs to be replaced i'll flip. IF you had major (not minor) engine damage due to a timing slip then you'd probably hear it when you try to start the car.
You can check the vin plate on the engine to see if it matches with the one in your window if you want to know if they replaced the engine for sure.

My guess is that they didnt know how to get it to start, decided a good reason is that the engine is old. Thought for sure that putting a new engine in would fix the problem. Found it didnt and they have no idea what to do. Sad thing is you'll probably have to eat most/all of the cost for their incompetence.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They quoted me at $900. The problem with comparing the vins is that I have no idea where the vin plate is. Also i don't think they're just going to put my engine back because supposedly they put in a new engine which required labor. If however its not done today that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Banned

call a lawyer.
go down with lawyer.
demand your car back working.
let your lawyer goto work when the guy starts saying his BS.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:52 AM

Get a Haynes or a Chiltons. They show some basic diagrams of the engines and where the VIN plates are. Your car is old enough the engine could have been dead, but it doesn't sound like they did all that great of diagnostics before throwing parts at the problem at the first shop. Maybe the no compression was eventually found, and was a true problem. But who knows if the car still won't start. Does it crank? Does it start? Does it do nothing? Is the alarm malfunctioning? Does the fuel pump work? Does the "newer" engine have internal problems, or sensor problems? There are obviously a ton of unanswered questions. Get it towed to another shop to at least run a decent "diagnostics" and make the 1st or 2nd shop pay for it!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It cranks, alarm is fine, just no start. They think its an electrical problem. I don't think my old engine just died, it was working perfectly right before it wouldn't start. The problem is getting it towed to another shop and having them pay for it. Thanks though
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 AM

how much miles does your car have on it? and where in brooklyn is this shop, i cant beleve they bs so much
Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

shop is in queens check out the website http://www.allainceautoparts.com

My car has 142k