4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front Strut Bearings (Newbie ?s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front Strut Bearings (Newbie ?s)

When I bought my '95 GXE about a year ago, my mechanic told me my strut bearings were worn and may need replaced soon. I have noticed an increase in the symptoms he mentioned (mostly a popping noise at low speed while turning) and plan to replace the strut mounts, bearings, and Struts all at once since the car has about 93 k on all original parts.
I looked on tirerack.com and found KYB-GR-2 struts for a pretty good price. They also have KYB strut mounts. Here is where the confusion begins. Does the strut mount include bearings? Are there even more pieces to this puzzle than I'm considering? I called tirerack and the guy told me he'd never heard of a strut bearing and he thinks someone is giving me incorrect information. He says they do come with a metal "plate" where the strut gets mounted. Is this the bearing?
To add to the confusion, I called the local Nissan dealer's parts department. The guy read off a list of parts to the tune of $206/side for: strut, "seat," bearing, mount, and "insulator." Is this guy nuts or what? My instinct is to order the struts and mounts from tirerack.com, take the parts to my mechanic and see what happens. If anybody has any advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated!
P.S.- The suspension is entirely stock. I'm not looking for a serious performance upgrade, although the idea of slightly firmer struts is cool.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gibby
When I bought my '95 GXE about a year ago, my mechanic told me my strut bearings were worn and may need replaced soon. I have noticed an increase in the symptoms he mentioned (mostly a popping noise at low speed while turning) and plan to replace the strut mounts, bearings, and Struts all at once since the car has about 93 k on all original parts.
I looked on tirerack.com and found KYB-GR-2 struts for a pretty good price. They also have KYB strut mounts. Here is where the confusion begins. Does the strut mount include bearings? Are there even more pieces to this puzzle than I'm considering? I called tirerack and the guy told me he'd never heard of a strut bearing and he thinks someone is giving me incorrect information. He says they do come with a metal "plate" where the strut gets mounted. Is this the bearing?
To add to the confusion, I called the local Nissan dealer's parts department. The guy read off a list of parts to the tune of $206/side for: strut, "seat," bearing, mount, and "insulator." Is this guy nuts or what? My instinct is to order the struts and mounts from tirerack.com, take the parts to my mechanic and see what happens. If anybody has any advice, it would be GREATLY appreciated!
P.S.- The suspension is entirely stock. I'm not looking for a serious performance upgrade, although the idea of slightly firmer struts is cool.
I recently bought the KYB-GR-2 struts and the strut mounts from Tirerack.com. The strut mount includes the bearing. I also bought the rubber seat $12.23(54034-31u01) and the boot assembly $10.88 (54050-38u02) from the Nissan dealer. hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by CPETTY
I recently bought the KYB-GR-2 struts and the strut mounts from Tirerack.com. The strut mount includes the bearing. I also bought the rubber seat $12.23(54034-31u01) and the boot assembly $10.88 (54050-38u02) from the Nissan dealer. hope this helps.

Check this site out http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/703
Old 02-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks very much for the info. I had seen this link on this site, but wasn't sure about the KYB mount or the necessity of replacing the other parts (Prob. depends on the wear, eh?).
Thanks.