4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idle problems!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:57 PM

Idle problems!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

ok i cleaned out my intake manifold and my throttle body (pics on page 2 of my web site) the car was down with out the battery hooked up for a week, i didn't have time to put it back together. but when i did the idle would jump up and down from time to time at a normal operationg temperature, it would go down to about 700 and it sounds like it would stall but it never did. And after a little bit of trying to chocke its self it goes up to 1000 or so and then after 30 seconds it would go down again to 700 and of course it would try to stall. my cel is on and when i tried to pull up the codes i never get them, sooo some one please help me, i don't like driving the car in this kind of condition, i also found a sensor that was laying on the tranny, it plactis with a rummber thing around it....so i just plugged it into my cai, is that where it goes?????Thanx for your help!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well the idle on our car is very "touchy" in first place
try connecting all the sensors and then pull any codes if they show up.

the sensor you are talking about is the intake air temperatrue sensor - the ECU is using it along with other sensors to calculate air/fuel mixture ratio at engine start up

My idle after TB cleaning is still quite high - about 950rpm in N and about 650rpm in D - but she is steady *** hell !!! and i like it that way - no vibration or shaking

Nick.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
ok i cleaned out my intake manifold and my throttle body (pics on page 2 of my web site) the car was down with out the battery hooked up for a week, i didn't have time to put it back together. but when i did the idle would jump up and down from time to time at a normal operationg temperature, it would go down to about 700 and it sounds like it would stall but it never did. And after a little bit of trying to chocke its self it goes up to 1000 or so and then after 30 seconds it would go down again to 700 and of course it would try to stall. my cel is on and when i tried to pull up the codes i never get them, sooo some one please help me, i don't like driving the car in this kind of condition, i also found a sensor that was laying on the tranny, it plactis with a rummber thing around it....so i just plugged it into my cai, is that where it goes?????Thanx for your help!
Sounds like a bad TPS( Throttle position sensor) This sentence comes from the Haynes manual.

"A broken or loose TPS can cause intermittent bursts of fuel from the injectors and an unstable idle because the PCM thinks the throttle is moving. A problem with TPS or circut will set diagnostic trouble code."

So check the car for codes.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Sounds like a bad TPS( Throttle position sensor) This sentence comes from the Haynes manual.

"A broken or loose TPS can cause intermittent bursts of fuel from the injectors and an unstable idle because the PCM thinks the throttle is moving. A problem with TPS or circut will set diagnostic trouble code."

So check the car for codes.
where is it located, i don't have my hanes manual with me, but i did drop a part that goes on top of the manifold..i donno what u call it but its sittin on the manifold a little bit to the left of the cruise control housing that's mounted to the firewall, would that be a problem or is it something else.....how can u check the if the tps is bad....once i find it.....im gonna pull up the codes this weekend and il post them if i can get them.... thanx for your help.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 PM

where is it located, i don't have my hanes manual with me, but i did drop a part that goes on top of the manifold..i donno what u call it but its sittin on the manifold a little bit to the left of the cruise control housing that's mounted to the firewall, would that be a problem or is it something else.....how can u check the if the tps is bad....once i find it.....im gonna pull up the codes this weekend and il post them if i can get them.... thanx for your help.

Ok it is mounted on the side of the throttle body and connected to the throttle shaft. If you have automatic it will have two wire conector going to it. if not you would only have one going to it. if you opened the screws and try to clean it and you could have changed the throttle adjustments, this could causing you this problem.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by nick
well the idle on our car is very "touchy" in first place
try connecting all the sensors and then pull any codes if they show up.

the sensor you are talking about is the intake air temperatrue sensor - the ECU is using it along with other sensors to calculate air/fuel mixture ratio at engine start up

My idle after TB cleaning is still quite high - about 950rpm in N and about 650rpm in D - but she is steady *** hell !!! and i like it that way - no vibration or shaking

Nick.
everything is connected and all, but like i said when the car is at normal operating temerature it idle's about 600 to 700 and it tries to stall with out me touching anything, im out side of the car......but its at 600 to 700 trying to stall for a bit then it goes up to about 1000 or so stays tehre for a while and then it goes back down and does the same thing over and over again, its like if u disconect the hoes comming from the back of the intake that is connected to the back side of the throttle body or the intake manifold and its tries to stall, its doing the same thing when its at operation temperature at arounf 700 rpm. i guess i just have to pull up the codes and see what's wrong, but i hate driving a car with a CEL on.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:24 PM

Ok it is mounted on the side of the throttle body and connected to the throttle shaft. If you have automatic it will have two wire conector going to it. if not you would only have one going to it. if you opened the screws and try to clean it and you could have changed the throttle adjustments, this could causing you this problem.
that big thing with 3 bolts that has like 4 sensors on it on the back of the manifold right?? oh and im and im a manual

i don't think i messed with the throttle body at all i just left it as hole and cleaned it on the car...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:35 PM

that big thing with 3 bolts that has like 4 sensors on it on the back of the manifold right?? oh and im and im a manual

i don't think i messed with the throttle body at all i just left it as hole and cleaned it on the car...

ok if you are maual, you only have one wire going to it. I don't think thats what is you are taking about.

Ok go to this link, go down the page and they have picture of what TSP looks like.

but in your case it could be something diffrent. it could be also bad coil pack or dirty injector, i would recommend check for the code.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/maintenance.htm
Old 02-24-2004, 12:25 PM

ok if you are maual, you only have one wire going to it. I don't think thats what is you are taking about.

Ok go to this link, go down the page and they have picture of what TSP looks like.

but in your case it could be something diffrent. it could be also bad coil pack or dirty injector, i would recommend check for the code.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/maintenance.htm
yea thanx, i guess il just have to pull up the codes this weekend and let u guys know. thanx again.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:37 PM

yea thanx, i guess il just have to pull up the codes this weekend and let u guys know. thanx again.
no problem.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 PM

A surging idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak. Check your vacuum hoses and the gasket areas between TB/intake and IACV/intake. You may be letting unmetered air in.

Dave