4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help + questions!! those who installed aftermarket UDP on automatic...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:13 PM
V^___^V

need help + questions!! those who installed aftermarket UDP on automatic...

first of all, thank you tyler for setting up a great group deal. i am picking up Gates alternator/ac belt + power steering belt tomorrow. i want to attempt to install this myself w/ a friend before bringing in to turbo95max(matthel). so help me out here:

i have an auto. so it's not as simple as 5spd simply brake on 5th gear to remove the bolt. i am still a bit confused about greg's instruction >> http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...e%20Pulley.htm can someone explain to me how to get the pulley off on an automatic in a more simple? btw i don't have air tools.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:19 PM
V^___^V

bump bump bump! don't you guys wanna learn how to install UDP too?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
V^___^V

no one on the org has UDP on their auto?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 AM

free bump cause i just got my pulley in too and I want to figure out how to install it.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 AM

bumpty dump bump
Old 02-24-2004, 08:20 AM

Im all about doin stuff to my car myself but if you dont get the belts tension right I think your screwed. Plus the bolt needs to be tightned to 140ft/lbs. My tourqe wrench only goes to 75. I was gonna get my neighbor to help me who put an UDP on his Focus and took a look at mine and said it was alot harder,So im just gonna have a local shop do it for $65 on Thursday. Sorry, wish I could help.....
Old 02-24-2004, 09:54 AM
V^___^V

okie i guess i'm on my own on this one. at first i thought installing bomz CAI was the hardest thing i had to do (had to use a chainsaw to drill a hole), then working with warpspeed y-pipe was a pain trying to get the O2s and the 14mms bolt. now freaking UDP....

if i success i'll post away, if i don't then i'll have to ask turbo95max to help me out.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

id say get the help man..im all about doing everything to my car that i safely.. but belt tension is important..and 140 lbs is alot of f*in elbow grease..
Old 02-24-2004, 10:09 AM

I've got a 3/4 impact gun at my shop that I used to take it off. I don't know how I would've done it without my impact.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I like Maximas

the toughest part about the install is locking the flywheel in place so the crank doesn't turn. on manual you can just put the car into gear. also you need to replace the front oil seal about $8 before you put the crank in. but i didnt install mine yet.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:29 AM

I have an auto and I have the UDP installed..

....at Maximum Tuning, Long Island, New York (yes, it's Jeff!).

I was there when he installed mine, and here is what happened:

Take off the driver's side plastic cover and you will see the pulley and oil filter(take off the wheel first). When you want to take that bolt off, Jeff was trying to jam my engine and crank it (so the bolt would get loose). Well, it did not work.....so he got a torch (propane I think) and heated the bolt until it's glowing red. After that, he put on an air wrench and it just turned loose. Then he throw the bolt (still pinkys hot) to a coolant bucket to cool it off. The thing was, the coolant bucket is only about 1 ft away from me. Darn, thank God he did not miss. The car has 130k at that time and no problem up to this point (148k).

I was asking about jamming the flywheel...and at that time he said it's not the safest thing to do since your flywheel teeth could get damaged (and you have to replace the flywheel).

Retorque the bolt up to 90 lb.ft and *NOT* 140 lb. If you look at the FSM, it states that you torque the bolt up to 40-ish and then tighten it up 60 degrees further. I was asking Jeff about this 140 lb., but he said he installed so many pulleys with 90 lb.ft rating and no problems encountered. I was a bit hesitant when I heard his comment, but after checking the FSM I was assured that 90 lb is enough. ejj and I had some discussion regarding the pulley torque rating some time back, and it made me to go to FSM and found out about the whole 60 degrees thing. But if you insist 140 is the magic number, please go ahead and torque that bolt up.

BTW, don't forget to regrease and replace the crankshaft seal while you are on it.

Finally, I am not responsible if you mess up your car after reading this. This post is only meant to describe what happened/was discussed when I installed mine (1 month shy from a year ago). Benefits are minimal, but now you could put AC on in the middle highway cruising and you won't feel that "jerk" when the engine starts to turn AC compressor. It also helps the revs to go up a bit faster and fuel mileage is marginally more efficient.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:24 PM

I think people said the results on a 5 speed are more noticeable..
Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by ardika
....at Maximum Tuning, Long Island, New York (yes, it's Jeff!).

I was there when he installed mine, and here is what happened:

Take off the driver's side plastic cover and you will see the pulley and oil filter(take off the wheel first). When you want to take that bolt off, Jeff was trying to jam my engine and crank it (so the bolt would get loose). Well, it did not work.....so he got a torch (propane I think) and heated the bolt until it's glowing red. After that, he put on an air wrench and it just turned loose. Then he throw the bolt (still pinkys hot) to a coolant bucket to cool it off. The thing was, the coolant bucket is only about 1 ft away from me. Darn, thank God he did not miss. The car has 130k at that time and no problem up to this point (148k).

I was asking about jamming the flywheel...and at that time he said it's not the safest thing to do since your flywheel teeth could get damaged (and you have to replace the flywheel).

Retorque the bolt up to 90 lb.ft and *NOT* 140 lb. If you look at the FSM, it states that you torque the bolt up to 40-ish and then tighten it up 60 degrees further. I was asking Jeff about this 140 lb., but he said he installed so many pulleys with 90 lb.ft rating and no problems encountered. I was a bit hesitant when I heard his comment, but after checking the FSM I was assured that 90 lb is enough. ejj and I had some discussion regarding the pulley torque rating some time back, and it made me to go to FSM and found out about the whole 60 degrees thing. But if you insist 140 is the magic number, please go ahead and torque that bolt up.

BTW, don't forget to regrease and replace the crankshaft seal while you are on it.

Finally, I am not responsible if you mess up your car after reading this. This post is only meant to describe what happened/was discussed when I installed mine (1 month shy from a year ago). Benefits are minimal, but now you could put AC on in the middle highway cruising and you won't feel that "jerk" when the engine starts to turn AC compressor. It also helps the revs to go up a bit faster and fuel mileage is marginally more efficient.

Hope this helps!
great! those are some very helpful information