4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clutch travel not smooth at end....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 05:22 AM

hello all:

i have a 99 se 5-spd and it has 29,000 miles on it. i didnt notice until now that the clutch travel is not smooth at the last 1" of travel. i don't know if it is anything wrong, but when i step on the clutch, i can feel that maybe something else is enagaging at the last inch.

i drive a lot more now (50mi vs. 5mi), and so now i notice it; is it a problem?

thanks,

tommy
Old 03-13-2001, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by DFWmax
hello all:

i have a 99 se 5-spd and it has 29,000 miles on it. i didnt notice until now that the clutch travel is not smooth at the last 1" of travel. i don't know if it is anything wrong, but when i step on the clutch, i can feel that maybe something else is enagaging at the last inch.

i drive a lot more now (50mi vs. 5mi), and so now i notice it; is it a problem?

thanks,

tommy
This does not seem serious. Perhaps you can eliminate the symptom by lubricating the tip of the clutch slave cylinder pushrod or the clutch lever pivot ball.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:31 AM

ok, i'll try that. can you describe the pieces? it sounds like pieces that are inside the dash, accessible via the driver's footwell. any suggestions as to what lubricant to use? maybe silicone spray?

thanks,

tommy
Old 03-13-2001, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by DFWmax
ok, i'll try that. can you describe the pieces? it sounds like pieces that are inside the dash, accessible via the driver's footwell. any suggestions as to what lubricant to use? maybe silicone spray?

thanks,

tommy
You need a manual. Buy a Chilton or Haynes repair manual, or borrow one from your public library.

The clutch slave cylinder is mounted on the outside of the transaxle housing. It is relatively easy to access. A dab of chassis grease will do.

The clutch lever is partly outside and partly inside the transaxle housing. The outside end is the part which the pushrod contacts. The pivot ball is inside the housing. This is easy to lubricate when the transaxle is removed from the vehicle, such as for clutch replacement. It is not readily accessible with the transaxle in the vehicle. However, you may be able to reach in, past the rubber boot, to deliver a dab of chassis grease to the release lever pivot ball. The Haynes manual has good photos of these parts on page 8-6.
Old 03-13-2001, 03:23 PM

I've kind of run into the same problem, mine started last summer, although mine just seems to creek or click during the first 2 inches or so from all the way down to engaging. It hasn't adversely affected the car, so I haven't really worried about it that much. Does anyone know if that is normal?

-Brian
Old 03-13-2001, 03:39 PM

Grease it

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I've kind of run into the same problem, mine started last summer, although mine just seems to creek or click during the first 2 inches or so from all the way down to engaging. It hasn't adversely affected the car, so I haven't really worried about it that much. Does anyone know if that is normal?

-Brian
It's not normal, but it's not a serious symptom. Identify the source of the unwanted sound and grease it.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:29 PM

Also check the clutch start switch, although this might amount to nothing more than a long shot. It is located near the top of the clutch pedal, on a bracket emanating from the firewall. During the last inch or so of travel on its way to the floor, the clutch pedal triggers this switch thereby completing the starter circuit. This feature prevents the engine from starting without the clutch pedal being fully depressed. It is a formal possibility that your clutch start switch is binding and offering the extra resistance you are feeling when your clutch pedal nears the distal extent of its travel. To remedy, lubricate the switch with some dielectric material such as silicone spray or the like.