4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why do CA and the rest of US have different Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:56 AM

Why do CA and the rest of US have different Specs?

How come Cali and the rest of the US have different Specs? What is the difference in specs? I've heard it had something to do with Cali's emission laws. So is it illegal to bring a Maxima that's Fed Spec over to Cali? Are fed and cali spec stock y-pipes different also? I dunno if these are stupid questions but it's never discussed and i would like to know.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by PeTeRtheEaTeR
How come Cali and the rest of the US have different Specs? What is the difference in specs? I've heard it had something to do with Cali's emission laws. So is it illegal to bring a Maxima that's Fed Spec over to Cali? Are fed and cali spec stock y-pipes different also? I dunno if these are stupid questions but it's never discussed and i would like to know.
Under normal circumstances, Federal law will preempt local law. In a political move, New York attempted to have its own emissions standards. After all, it is a large state and probably has even more clout than CA in the Consumer Affairs arena. However, it was no go. You can imagine how difficult it would be for a car mfg. to make a different car for each state, or more realistically 5 or 6 large states. Anyway, CA on this topic is the exception to the rule I mentioned above.

I do believe there are some components that are different. I live in PA but my car was purchased in NY so it has the Cali emissions, the label and original sticker says so. How silly to have to have the car tested in PA every year, for $45-$80 annually, it's impossible to not meet the PA standard barring tampering with the emission controls. PA ought to learn from NJ since we share a border. North Jersey shares a border with NYC, so therefore the legislation must make sense by necessity. If people drove in North Jersey like they do in South Jersey/Phila., NYC would be shut down. That's why they have enforcement up there even though they don't have it in Phila. But I digress....

NY, MA, VT, now NJ, and ME partially
Old 02-28-2004, 06:11 AM

wow that's a nice link and basically answers my question. So does have to do with emissions. Thanks Frank for the info.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:39 PM

the only real difference i belive is that the cali spec has 2 precats, Fed has one. when their cats are both warmed up they should have the same emmission levels.

I have a fed spec max and i live in San Francisco passed smog with no problems. In fact some of my numbers were better than the low average numbers on the smog prinout.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 PM
DoGGy

because we are CALIFORNIA residents and we are SPECIAL. thats the way to seperate all you suckaz from us.

lol jk

cali emission laws suck man. too restrict

Old 03-07-2004, 08:46 PM

Actually, it does not have to do with the precats, but the O2 sensors, rather. I did y-pipe instal today, and I a fed, and I had two pre cats in the pipe. They get replaced by the new pipe, of course.

Yes, it has to do with emissions.

It is because all of the fruitcake "treehuggers" live in CA and want it to be cleaner than the rest of the US.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:51 AM

so once i install my warpspeed y pipe i just need to make sure my car is completely warmed up so i will pass emissions?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:55 AM

usually thats wat people do to pass. I dunno, i don't have a y-pipe.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by DoGGy
because we are CALIFORNIA residents and we are SPECIAL. thats the way to seperate all you suckaz from us.

lol jk

cali emission laws suck man. too restrict
they're too strict not restrict doggy.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:53 AM

I bought my car in NJ and my car is CALI spec. Is this normal?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:19 AM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Actually, it does not have to do with the precats, but the O2 sensors, rather. I did y-pipe instal today, and I a fed, and I had two pre cats in the pipe. They get replaced by the new pipe, of course.

Yes, it has to do with emissions.

It is because all of the fruitcake "treehuggers" live in CA and want it to be cleaner than the rest of the US.
Haha, treehuggers are lame.

Nothing like the smell of a polluted city! ahhhhhhhhhhh - gotta love it!

Cops are crazy in Cali too I heard. My friend went and said he saw a bunch of ricers get pulled over. Then, to his amazement, the cops came out with rulers and measured the ricers' ground clearance - OMG, can you believe that? LOL Kind of funny actually.

Anyway, I never saw or even heard of cops doing that in Chicago

Old 04-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
\

That's why your gas is so expensive too. It is a special blend that is not sold on the national market so that makes it more expensive since it is especially for you.

Move to Oklahoma. We have no emission laws and do not have annual testing. My friend runs turbo back 3 inch exhaust on his DSM as I will on mine. Gas is also about 1.70 for premium

Old 04-03-2004, 07:31 AM
BOSS

Yeah, the gas prices are starting to irritate me. They should dig up Alaska some more so we could have it $1.00 for premium - the way it should be!

Old 04-03-2004, 07:34 AM

I need to move to OK. We have no real emissions standards, but Premium here is 1.85-1.90 a gal. think i am gonna buy a bike or something...
Old 04-03-2004, 07:38 AM
BOSS

I'm not sure I understand the people in places like say LA or Miami. Damn it, if I lived there I'd ride a sports bike year round, provided my parents had cars, which I can borrow once in a while.

Who needs a $10k Maxima anyway? You can get an R1 (my all time favorite sports bike) for just under $12k out the door!