4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Holy Stick!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 12:10 PM

Just upgraded to some 17" borbet type E with 235/45 Bridgestone Potenza RE730. The car absolutley will not break away at 45mph and under. Just crank the wheel and the car yanks you around the corner. Great feedback from these tires. Very forgiving and easy to read the break away point. Cloverleaves at 75+ - the car is completely stable. FUN FUN FUN
Old 09-23-2000, 05:19 AM

Tires

I have the same 17" Borbet wheels mounted with Bridgestone Potenza RE71 235/45ZR tires. I am experiencing some front end vibration at high speeds. Also, the steering feels unstable, like the tires are causing the wheels to turn on their own. I feel the steering wheel pulling in mt hands. I had the car aligned and the wheels balanced, but still have the problems. I am thinking that the tires are too wide on the front end. Any thoughts o suggestions?

Old 09-23-2000, 05:57 AM

I get some vibration above 90mph. but then it goes away around 98 to 100 and up. I really don't go to much faster. otherwise no vibration - I know three other people locally with this wheel set up (different tires) and no one has any such complaints.
However - the wheel will drift slightly on grooved pavement or if the road is not entirely flat and you travel on hills and the like.
-Also I am fanatic about tire pressure- I check it about every other day. - it's neurotic behavior. But I think by putting a smaller width of tire on the front you will sacrifice the handling to much. The front wheel drive needs it. I personally love the feedback I get compared to the stock set up I was using. The pulling or drifting isn't really any more pronounced than it was before. Perhaps you've got a bad tire? -horrors. Could be the Re71's road manners - those are both doubtful. Has the car ever been wrecked?
Old 09-23-2000, 08:41 AM

Re: Tires

Originally posted by F. Desi
I have the same 17" Borbet wheels mounted with Bridgestone Potenza RE71 235/45ZR tires. I am experiencing some front end vibration at high speeds. Also, the steering feels unstable, like the tires are causing the wheels to turn on their own. I feel the steering wheel pulling in mt hands. I had the car aligned and the wheels balanced, but still have the problems. I am thinking that the tires are too wide on the front end. Any thoughts o suggestions?
did they align the toe angle? u hit nething before? your control arm could be bent

you check your CV boot lately could be busted and your axel could go buh bye soon. if not already.
Old 09-28-2000, 04:42 PM

Potenza RE71's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VQ Quick
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mention last time that the I previously had another 98 Max SE that was all stock and traded it in for the 98 Max SE I have now. The car only had 27k miles when I bought it. It does'nt look like there was any undercarriage damage of any kind, and the tires don't appear to be excessively worn, probably about 15k miles on them. All four tires have signs of tread cracking. I showed the local Firestone dealer to get his input, and he was reluctant to give me a straight answer as to whether this was normal or not. He did say that he has seen this condition on Michelin tires before and attributes it to the stiffness of such high performance tires. I also e-mailed Bridgestone about this condition, but they haven't replied. I'll check out some of the other suggestions I got regarding the control arm and CV boots. Have you noticed any tread cracking or know if this is a "normal" condition for this type of tire?