4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lower Ball Joint Replacement..How??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Lower Ball Joint Replacement..How??

Well I need to replace my left lower ball joint. I bought the ball joint already. But I was looking at the right side control arm which I also have to replace. The control arm comes with the ball joint. But I'm wondering how the hell the ball joint comes out? Anybody know? I really hope I don't have to replace the whole left sde control arm also. Those hitngs aren't cheap....Any help would be great...Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2004, 10:35 AM

There is a snap ring on the top of the ball joint. Get some snap ring pliers (easiest way) and remove it. Then use a ball joint press to press it out. Installation is reverse. There is some parts you must remove to get to the ball joint though.

Andrew
Old 03-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by ZeroSource00
There is a snap ring on the top of the ball joint. Get some snap ring pliers (easiest way) and remove it. Then use a ball joint press to press it out. Installation is reverse. There is some parts you must remove to get to the ball joint though.

Andrew

I think he meant how does he remove the control arm?

Ok....

1) Jack up both front wheels and set the car on jack stands.

2) Remove the wheels.

3) Disconnect the sway bar end links and pivot the sway bar up and out of the way.

4) Remove the cotter pin from the ball joint stud.

5) Loosen the ball joint nut and unscrew it until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the stud.

6) Slip the straight end of a crowbar between the ball joint stud and the CV joint.

7) Hit the other (curved) end of the crowbar with a hammer. Hit it like you are trying to drive the crowbar between the stud and the CV joint (you are). Don't hit it like you are trying to pry them apart.

8) The ball joint should pop loose from the spindle.

9) Remove the ball joint nut and swing the control arm down away from the spindle.

10) Removing the other ends of the control arm is pretty straight forward...

This method does not damage the ball joint or its boot.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I thought that the whole control arm had to be replaced. Pressing out the ball joint is no simple thing and most people would need a shop to do it.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 AM

My friends and I did my ball joints in my garage with a ball joint press from Murrays.

Andrew
Old 03-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I thought that the whole control arm had to be replaced. Pressing out the ball joint is no simple thing and most people would need a shop to do it.

Yes, but a $30 ball joint and $15 to a shop to swap them is a whole lot less than $130 for a new control arm...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll get a chance to do this on Friday when I'm off. I looked in my haynes and the removal of the control arm doesn't look to hard. And I'l just bring it to the shop to get it pressed out and in like you guys said. Ya I paid $180 CDN for my right side control arm, but the bushings are all busted up so it had to be replaced. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:03 PM

I would only use a ball joint seperator, not the pry bar method. I spent hours trying to seperate my lower ball joint using a pry bar and I ended up breaking the damn thing. Bought a small ball joint seperator and it took 5 minutes. Whatever you do, don't try and use a fork type seperator....I tore my ball joint boot using one. Then opend my haynes manual and read where it said not to use a the "fork type". I have learned to read everything first.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Blazin......

Hey mikeD, What were the signs that urs needed to be replaced?
Ive been having this Tick or more like a Thump when i take off with force. only when i take off though and only on my right side.
Ive checked for loose things last week.
How would i check a balljoint to determine if replacement is needed? Or a control arm for that matter. I would think the Control arm would last a life time ya know...
Old 03-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
Hey mikeD, What were the signs that urs needed to be replaced?
Ive been having this Tick or more like a Thump when i take off with force. only when i take off though and only on my right side.
Ive checked for loose things last week.
How would i check a balljoint to determine if replacement is needed? Or a control arm for that matter. I would think the Control arm would last a life time ya know...

I did not have a problem with mine, I just had to seperate the ball joint to remove the steering knuckle
Old 03-01-2004, 05:58 PM

I went to the store a saw the ball joint seperator tool. It's a fork, just wider than the tie rod seperator. Is there another type of ball joint seperator tool? I bought the one for ball joints, and not for tie rod ends.

As for the control arm. I got my front end inspected and the bushings where busted on the right side. The control arm comes with the ball joint. My left side control arm seemed fine. But the ball joint is very loose. So I bought only the ball joint, made by Moog. It was $40CDN. Control arm was $180CDN My stablizer llinks where busted also. So that will be replaced as well. And so are my strut bearings. They're cheap to replace but I have to take out the struts and what not.

All this happend after I lowered my car with dropzone springs....and of course my stock shocks blew, and I drove on them for a while since I spent all my money on a trip to vegas...now the repairs. Plus I've killed a full set of tires (rotating front with back) in 5months. Now I have to buy another set....what problems could come about if I replace my 215/55/16 with 215/50/16
Old 03-01-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by elcid
I went to the store a saw the ball joint seperator tool. It's a fork, just wider than the tie rod seperator. Is there another type of ball joint seperator tool? I bought the one for ball joints, and not for tie rod ends.

As for the control arm. I got my front end inspected and the bushings where busted on the right side. The control arm comes with the ball joint. My left side control arm seemed fine. But the ball joint is very loose. So I bought only the ball joint, made by Moog. It was $40CDN. Control arm was $180CDN My stablizer llinks where busted also. So that will be replaced as well. And so are my strut bearings. They're cheap to replace but I have to take out the struts and what not.

All this happend after I lowered my car with dropzone springs....and of course my stock shocks blew, and I drove on them for a while since I spent all my money on a trip to vegas...now the repairs. Plus I've killed a full set of tires (rotating front with back) in 5months. Now I have to buy another set....what problems could come about if I replace my 215/55/16 with 215/50/16

Do not use the fork type ball joint seperator!! You will most likely rip the boot like I did. The Haynes manual specifically says not to use that type of seperator. You need the type that screws down on the bolt. I got mine at Harbor freight for $8. There are adjustable type ones that the arms move but you don't want those...you want a fixed arm ball joint seperator.
Get the smallest one you can because there is not much room to use it. You may have to remove the steering kuckle from the strut in order to get the seperator on the ball joint.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:45 PM

This is what we used Ball Joint Press . Quick and easy to use. No way to hurt the ball joint either. I dont know if any parts stores near you do a tool loaner program but thats what I did. Cost me $0 to use it.

Andrew
Old 03-02-2004, 05:08 AM

Well, I'm going to have to find where they sell that type of ball joint press around here. I'll return the other one. And hopefully I can just borrow the ball joint press. Thanks again for all the help. Just got my overtime pay, so IO picked up a new 3.5 ton car jack ...the old one was leaking fluyid, and barely worked. Hopefully if I get the other tools everything will go smooth.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 AM

Actually....When you say rip the boot..Are you talking aboutt eh boot on the ball joint? Because I'm changing the balljoint, and it comes with a new boot. So really it doesn't matter if I rip it. Or are you talking about something else?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:49 AM

I can't find that other type of ball joint separator tool on the harbor freight website...or anywhere for that matter.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:12 AM

He was talking about ripping the boot on the new ball joint. The old one obviously doesnt matter. if you cant find that ball joint press anywhere, just take off your control arm and take it to a shop. They should have a press to take it out and press the new one in. Shouldn't cost much.

Andrew
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 AM

Ok well looks like that's what I"m going to do. I'll use the fork to remove the ball joint and then proceed to remove the control arm. I'll get the shopt to press out/in the old/new balljoint for a couple bucks. Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by elcid
Actually....When you say rip the boot..Are you talking aboutt eh boot on the ball joint? Because I'm changing the balljoint, and it comes with a new boot. So really it doesn't matter if I rip it. Or are you talking about something else?

You know what, I did not even think abou that. hahaha sorry. I guess you don't have to worry about riping the boot.