4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Advice/opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm planning to go the nitrous route; not anytime soon, but later on. Supercharger is way too expensive, it would take me forever to save up for that. So, nitrous seem like the ideal route for me to go. I just ordered the WarpSpeed y-pipe, which should give me a little bit more power. Other than the y-pipe that I will get, my only other performance mod is a CAI. My question is it a good idea to go nitrous now? I wonder should I maybe get Don's VB upgrade first? I also have to install the darn tranny cooler that I got. Anything else I should get first before the nitrous? Better spark plugs? Not sure how much that will help though. How about a MSD ignition kit? I don't know if that help out in the power department. Of course, if I plan to get those other items first, the nitrous will have to wait much further down the line. I don't have a whole lot of money, so I want to spend it wisely. I would like to get Don's VB first because right now, I sometime have to manually shift(usually just put in 2nd gear, then D, and then OD on) to try to get the most out of my slushbox. I would think that if I get Don's VB upgrade, I wouldn't have to do that anymore because every shift will be hard? Whenever I do plan to get nitrous, I don't think I'll have too hard of a time because I can always call up Mardigrasmax to help me out. I'm just want some opinions from you guys. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2001, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot ... I'm just want some opinions from you guys. Thanks!
Your engine develops power by burning fuel. If you want more power you burn more fuel (step down on the gas pedal). If you want to increase the maximum power your engine produces you have to modify it in some way to make it burn more fuel per unit time. There are several ways to do this. Nitrous and supercharging are two ways to make lots more power.

There is no free lunch. A modified engine will use more fuel and be less durable than a factory-stock engine. An engine which develops more power also puts more stress on the piston crowns, cylinder walls, connecting rods, engine bearings, etc. Remember that the designers made decisions about bearing size, cylinder wall thickness, piston design, head gasket clamping force, etc. etc. based on stock power, not your hopped-up power.

Either way you go will reduce the life of your engine and transmission. If you know that and will accept the big repair bills without whining, okay.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Your engine develops power by burning fuel. If you want more power you burn more fuel (step down on the gas pedal). If you want to increase the maximum power your engine produces you have to modify it in some way to make it burn more fuel per unit time. There are several ways to do this. Nitrous and supercharging are two ways to make lots more power.

There is no free lunch. A modified engine will use more fuel and be less durable than a factory-stock engine. An engine which develops more power also puts more stress on the piston crowns, cylinder walls, connecting rods, engine bearings, etc. Remember that the designers made decisions about bearing size, cylinder wall thickness, piston design, head gasket clamping force, etc. etc. based on stock power, not your hopped-up power.

Either way you go will reduce the life of your engine and transmission. If you know that and will accept the big repair bills without whining, okay.
Thanks for the info, but of course, I know the risks. There's always a risk when you try to add more power to your car, but if everyone worry about that, they wouldn't get into moding their cars. I also plan to redo the internals as well, hopefully that will take care some of the potential/if any problems.

Anyone like to provide me with advice/opinions on what I should do first? I like to thank Daniel B. Martin for his warning, but that's not what I had in mind.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:27 PM

Make a plan

Originally posted by Cumalot
... Anyone like to provide me with advice/opinions on what I should do first? ...
Read about what other people have achieved with a 3 liter engine in a street car. Then set your goals and calculate the budget necessary to meet your goals. Start saving.

Even before you are ready to begin working on your own car you might find another Maxima owner who is doing something similar. If you volunteer to help him, you will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah.. just a note. Stronger internals make the parts more resistant to knocking/pinging, but in no way does it prevent it. Also stronger internals by them selves does ZERO to make your engine more powerfull. ONLY TUNING can do that.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ah.. just a note. Stronger internals make the parts more resistant to knocking/pinging, but in no way does it prevent it. Also stronger internals by them selves does ZERO to make your engine more powerfull. ONLY TUNING can do that.

Ok. Appreciate the info.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Another way to put it: Power is in the head, durability is in the block.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:38 PM

i was thinkin bout getting nos for my car but scrapped the idea cause of my auto. when i first bought my car i was gonna buy a nos kit from a so cal guy but he told me that it was a definate tranny killer. he was on his 2nd tranny and even that was slippin. i think i'm just gonna trade for a 5 speed then do the nos.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:19 PM

i say do the vb mod first. you can get colder plugs whenever you get the nitrous installed. another thing is you might want to get a FULL exhaust, not just a y-pipe. nitrous creates a lot of back pressure. i remember one time, i was at the track and halfway down the 1/4mile my y-pipe broke completely in half because of the huge amount of pressure. however, i finished that particular run with a trap speed 3mph higher than all the other runs i did that night cuz when the y-pipe broke, it made the exhaust alot more free flowing. trap speed went from 100mph to 103mph. so, in my experience, having a very free flowing exahust helps alot when you're on the bottle.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Power is in the head, durability is in the block.
Yes... but... the displacement of an engine is determined by the block. All the rest is an effort to make optimal use of those cubic centimeters.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by sx7r
i say do the vb mod first. you can get colder plugs whenever you get the nitrous installed. another thing is you might want to get a FULL exhaust, not just a y-pipe. nitrous creates a lot of back pressure. i remember one time, i was at the track and halfway down the 1/4mile my y-pipe broke completely in half because of the huge amount of pressure. however, i finished that particular run with a trap speed 3mph higher than all the other runs i did that night cuz when the y-pipe broke, it made the exhaust alot more free flowing. trap speed went from 100mph to 103mph. so, in my experience, having a very free flowing exahust helps alot when you're on the bottle.

This is the answer I'm looking for. Yeah, I think I'll do the VB mod first. Hopefully, that will help me out a bit by just leaving it in D and not having to manually shift; which I know isn't good for the engine either.

Btw, sx7r, how you fair against turbo Eclipses? I got this '95(I think) turbo Eclipse at my school that want to run with me. With my current setup, I think he'll burn me up. From what I know, he still have the factory turbo, but maybe have a boost regulator where he can up the boost anytime. Also, have some a Greddy exhaust, maybe even an intake.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:13 PM

This is the answer I'm looking for. Yeah, I think I'll do the VB mod first. Hopefully, that will help me out a bit by just leaving it in D and not having to manually shift; which I know isn't good for the engine either.

Btw, sx7r, how you fair against turbo Eclipses? I got this '95(I think) turbo Eclipse at my school that want to run with me. With my current setup, I think he'll burn me up. From what I know, he still have the factory turbo, but maybe have a boost regulator where he can up the boost anytime. Also, have some a Greddy exhaust, maybe even an intake.

i pull on stock or mildly modded turbo eclipses real bad, about the same as SI's. Stock GS-T's run what - mid 15s? i dunno, i'm not a DSM expert. i just have friends that drive DSMs. the guy at your school, if he still has the stock turbo and stock fuel injectors, his max is maybe 18pounds of boost with the boost controller. add the exhaust and intake... i dunno, maybe 15 flat or high 14s. is it a GSX or GST? GSX is awd, it'll get you out of the hole and you won't catch up. it'd be a good race with the GS-T though.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

i pull on stock or mildly modded turbo eclipses real bad, about the same as SI's. Stock GS-T's run what - mid 15s? i dunno, i'm not a DSM expert. i just have friends that drive DSMs. the guy at your school, if he still has the stock turbo and stock fuel injectors, his max is maybe 18pounds of boost with the boost controller. add the exhaust and intake... i dunno, maybe 15 flat or high 14s. is it a GSX or GST? GSX is awd, it'll get you out of the hole and you won't catch up. it'd be a good race with the GS-T though.

It's a GSX. Forgot to mention that. Whenever I get nitrous though, I'll burn him for sure, right? I'll still race him though with my current setup. Sure, I think he'll beat me, but who cares, it's all in good fun. I think I must manually shift if I am going to race him. Don't know how much that will help, but it's better than just leaving it in D. Darn automatic! When you say you pull on stock and mildly modded turbo Eclipes, do you need to use the bottle?
Old 03-15-2001, 06:25 PM

It's a GSX. Forgot to mention that. Whenever I get nitrous though, I'll burn him for sure, right? I'll still race him though with my current setup. Sure, I think he'll beat me, but who cares, it's all in good fun. I think I must manually shift if I am going to race him. Don't know how much that will help, but it's better than just leaving it in D. Darn automatic! When you say you pull on stock and mildly modded turbo Eclipes, do you need to use the bottle?
well... that all depends on how much i feel like beating them that particular day. =)