4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Severe cylinder misfire, different codes though!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Severe cylinder misfire, different codes though!

Well, early this week, after fixing my radiator and water outlet pipe problem, my car began to act horrible. I recently put in a Warpspeed Y-Pipe and replaced my spark plugs (NGK plats). Just to let everyone know, I have been getting a KS code since day 1, even after I bought a new one at the dealer, I have always gottren one, and to this day I still have it, I dont know why, Ive tested it, and it gives off the correct readings on my multimeter.
Anyways, when I first got these problems, I pulled the codes
03-04 (Knock Sensor)
02-01 (Ignition Signal Circuit)
06-05 (Cylinder 4 Misfire)

At this point, I told myself, easy fix, cylinder 4 is misfiring because the coil pack for that cylinder is going bad. No problem right? Well, here is what I did. I checked and made sure the gaps on all teh spark plugs were between .05 and .05, they were all a little below .04. After I did that, I swithced the coil pack from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2. If it was infact the coil pack, the misfire would have jumped from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 right? Well wrong. Since then I have not gotten any cylinder misfire code, but the car still acted crappy. I resetted the ECU, because thats what your suppose to do to check if the problem had moved or changed. I continued to have the KS code for a while. It wasnt until recently when I had been driving on the highway a lot (went to a concert in another city), and I had been running the car hard to kind of break in the y-pipe's flex section. After comming back from the long and hard highway drive, I decided to check my ECU, just to see what I would get. Heres my new set of codes

03-04 (Knock Sensor)
07-07 (Rear Heatd O2 Sensor)
03-03 (Left Heated O2 Sensor)

Also, I did not get a CEL, I just checked the ECU at random. I have gotten the rear heated o2 sensor code before, but I would reset the ECU and it wouldnt come back, weird thing is, I would always get it after driving hard on the highway, never street drivign or normal daily driving. First time I have ever gotten the left o2 sensor code. I guess I'm gonna go change them both, might as well, but I kind of have the feeling this wont fix the problem. After everything, I'm still going to have the KS code, which in the end will retard my timing. I have been getting 220 MPT for so long now. Can anyone please help me out. How come my engine is acting the same, but I got different codes?
Oh yeah, in park/nuetral, my engine seems fine, idles ok, but in gear, the engine spits/sputters/hesitates like crazy, almost like it wants to stall. The acceleration is almost non existant, feels like Im running on half an engine, and when you listen to my muffler, you can obviously here the misfiring, you can almost count teh seconds between firing. Regardless of RPM, the accleration is bad. Like i said, I have always had the KS code, but I didnt always have this bad of a problem. Some1 please help, my car needs it =(

Sorry for being so long, thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:00 AM

BUMP, anyone? =(