4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

People w/Rear Sway Bars... Feel a difference at all???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 AM

People w/Rear Sway Bars... Feel a difference at all???

One of the first mods I plan on doing to my maxima involves getting rid of the terrible body roll. I am kinda low on cash, so I figured the best way to improve handling/cornering (besides new tires) would be to install a rear sway bar. Does anyone have this installed on their max WITHOUT lowering/strut braces, etc?? I am a little concerned by the drawbacks it may have.

Take a Look:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSwayBars

Has anyone experienced the car being a little "tail-happy"?? Do rear sway bars work well?? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

EVen with my RSB my car still understeers in dry weather. . . I Think this is due to my Soft Tokico blues. But most people will tell you its a great mod to get, and im sure once I replace my struts the car will feel so much better. My tail has came out on me on a turn when the road was wet, as well as in the snow. . . its a scary feeling but it can be controlled if you dont panic.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:28 PM

I feel a difference.

I personally don't hard core rally my Maxima, but I felt some difference.

I felt a reduction in body roll, it was worth the purchase. I bought a progress sway bar for like 130 (thats with shipping).

I also have an 1987 MR2 and when I put a sway bar on that I felt HUGE difference in handling, but thats a little coupe as to the Maxima which is a big sedan.

FYI it is a 1997 SE with the factory struts/springs etc. 89,000 on the clock.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 PM

Difference? I don't know why Nissan didn't do it from the factory. I had an RX-7 and the maxima handles just as well, all things considered. RWD and FWD. I have the Y-pipe, FSTB and the rear sway bar. Rear sway bar was the best thing, without a doubt. Get it. Get the urethane bushings.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bill927
Difference? I don't know why Nissan didn't do it from the factory. I had an RX-7 and the maxima handles just as well, all things considered. RWD and FWD. I have the Y-pipe, FSTB and the rear sway bar. Rear sway bar was the best thing, without a doubt. Get it. Get the urethane bushings.
I checked the Maxima Mods website (http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSwayBars) and it says that the bushings give the front sway bar a stiffer feel. I didn't know a stock Max had a front sway bar. Am I reading this correctly? Good point though, Bill. How come Nissan didn't install a Rear Sway Bar in the first place?
Old 03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I personally didn't feel a reduction in body roll. But I did notice a decrease in understeer when really pushing the car. I never have had a time when the rear came out; maybe just a hint of it when cornering hard with a bit of brakes. I wouldn't doubt that it could happen, though.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
I checked the Maxima Mods website (http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSwayBars) and it says that the bushings give the front sway bar a stiffer feel. I didn't know a stock Max had a front sway bar. Am I reading this correctly? Good point though, Bill. How come Nissan didn't install a Rear Sway Bar in the first place?
Yes the Maxima does have a front sway bar stock. It also has a stock rear sway bar, it's inside the beam, but a thicker one is needed to reduce understeer.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:37 PM

rsb and fstb are the only handling things I've done, and I highly recommend them both. After each one, my car felt a lot more solid/stable. It still understeers though...hopefully I'll be getting a gd on shocks/struts going soon that will help that!