4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe Rattling - Please advise possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Y-Pipe Rattling - Please advise possibilities

Hi all,

I installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe and Hi-Flow Cat on my A32 Nissan Maxima a week ago. It's been having rattling problems for the whole week and a bit!

I have two types of rattles:
1) A Metallic rattle that seems to originate somewhere below the automatic shifter that comes on around the 2000 RPM mark on 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gear.
2) A humming/rattling noise that seems to come from below the steering column, sounds like the metal piece that braces the steering column (the metal part that seems to do nothing and you have to remove it to get to the gauges and instrument binnacle). This humming only started in the last two days and is random around the low rpms.

Can you guys offer any advice and possibilities of the cause of the rattles and humming. P.S. I even got the y-pipe heat wrapped by the exhaust installer for fears of rattling problems and bees in the can noises.

I live in Australia and no exhaust shops has even any experience with y-pipes let alone the thought of moddind a Maxima.

Thanks...

Regards,

Clement
Old 03-09-2004, 09:05 AM

I have no idea what that could be. I mean, you are going to get a little more growl and hiss, but I don't think it should be rattling. I know it would be a good idea a few days after you install it to go back under there and make sure all the stuff it tightened down. Just for a double check kind of thing.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:30 AM

heh i keep getting backfiring when i get on it real good
Old 03-09-2004, 12:52 PM

I had the same problem. I had my mechanic install the pipe and it did the same thing. It took us forever to figure it out. I had to get in the car and put the car in gear and put it under load to figure it out. There's something by the shifter that the pipe actually hits. Wasn't the heat shield, was something right there by it though. If you let it do it for a week you should be able to tell where it's hitting by now. I remember that he couldn't believe the pipe went that far over but it did. He had to grind it down a little to get it to stop.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How are your rear engine mounts?

My Y-Pipe rattles on the front sway bar during moderate acceleration. It should be reasonably easy to see what the clearance is on the pipe.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I installed my y, the cat/b-pipe were hanging for a few minutes. This caused the b to be out of position and it started rubbing a couple of places on the heat shields. I could see where it was rubbing after a few days. I didn't have the y rub anywhere, but you might be able to see some rub marks after a few days.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:33 PM

Did you take off the little mount that bolts to the tab halfway down the stock y pipe? The aftermarket pipe doesn't have this, and it may be hitting it.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

call Dallas at warpspeed, i had a similar problem, but i think he gave me instructions on how to resolve yours, mine wound up being the B-pipe causing the rattle beacuse the cat hangers were loose. what he told me was that thers brackets on the convertor, he said the top of teh convertor...which is closest to the floor, im quoting him, and he said take a large flathead screwdriver and pry the catalytic converter brackets slightly becuse they somehow make contact wtih the body, he said the 95-97 maximas exhibit this problem, he also said if its not the bracket, itll problaby go away in a week bcause your just breaking the pipe in. just give Warpspeed a call, theyll help you
Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 PM

when i first got my warpspeed installed the pipe would bump up and hit the shield for the cat.. after a few weeks the noise went away..

blake
Old 03-10-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eric425
Did you take off the little mount that bolts to the tab halfway down the stock y pipe? The aftermarket pipe doesn't have this, and it may be hitting it.
Thanks for all the replies guys! Much appreciated!

I will have to wait until the weekend before I can get my mechanic to put the car on the hoist and inspect the pipe and cat. Hopefully I haven't got a hole in the firewall or transmission :P

Eric425,
When you say halfway down the stock y-pipe do you mean halfway down the collector pipes? or halfway down the y-pipe as close to the lined flex joint? Anyway, will keep my eyes peeled when the car is on the hoist. (P.S. I got my mechanic to installed the pipe and cat so I don't know if he removed the original mounts)

Thanks all...
Old 03-10-2004, 10:26 PM

sort of close to the flex joint. It's between the two collector pipes. It's a mount under the car with two holes. It bolted to a tab on the stock y pipe near where the precats are. Did you watch the installation? Remember how you removed ten nuts to get the y pipe on, and only replaced 8? It's the two 12mm in the middle which mounted to a tab that may be touching the y pipe. You'll probably be able to see it if it's not removed. Just look on the section of pipe between the two collectors and see if you can see a little metal tab close to the passenger side of the vehicle, touching or almost touching the pipe.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
V^___^V

i had similar problem and it was solved by the following couple ways:

1. removed heatsheild all the way from flex section to the end of b-pipe
2. DEI exhaust wrap was added around the flex section
3. the prongs on the flex section hanger was removed
4. an additional OEM nissan exhaust gasket was added between the flex section and the cat.

result: most major rattling/buzzin/whatsoever noises are removed. small buzzing noise at idle, barely noticible unless i turn off my bose completely.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
i had similar problem and it was solved by the following couple ways:

1. removed heatsheild all the way from flex section to the end of b-pipe
2. DEI exhaust wrap was added around the flex section
3. the prongs on the flex section hanger was removed
4. an additional OEM nissan exhaust gasket was added between the flex section and the cat.

result: most major rattling/buzzin/whatsoever noises are removed. small buzzing noise at idle, barely noticible unless i turn off my bose completely.

WOOOOO HOOOOO!
The rattling noise is gone!

Once again I didn't manage to see what was done to the car, as I drop the car off the workshop and went to work...

But my mechanic said the y-pipe was knocking another metal bar. So he flexed the metal bar a bit and there no to little knocking/rattling now! YEY!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Clement