4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine work

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:36 AM

Engine work

I have given up on DSMs. I decided to start a complete build up of my Maxima (I will definetly keep you guys updated with my progress). My first task is to pull and rebuild the engine. I was going to do a simple rebuild (back to stock). A friend of mine who owns a rice shop says he will hook me up with a buddy of his who owns a engine shop. So I could get the bored, stroke it, and have the head reworked relatively cheap (the hardware will still be pricey). Since the hardware will be costly I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. Has anyone ever done any serious internal work on the VQ?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear
I have given up on DSMs. I decided to start a complete build up of my Maxima (I will definetly keep you guys updated with my progress). My first task is to pull and rebuild the engine. I was going to do a simple rebuild (back to stock). A friend of mine who owns a rice shop says he will hook me up with a buddy of his who owns a engine shop. So I could get the bored, stroke it, and have the head reworked relatively cheap (the hardware will still be pricey). Since the hardware will be costly I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. Has anyone ever done any serious internal work on the VQ?

If you bore it what pistons are you planning on using? Are you going to have them custom made?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
If you bore it what pistons are you planning on using? Are you going to have them custom made?

I am still looking for other pistons that will work, I may indeed have to have them made. If that is the case I will probally throw out the idea all together.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

You'll need to have them made. JE Pistons
Old 03-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned

you mean engine work like this?
http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...=182969&page=7
Old 03-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

or maybe like this....?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/203031/2

Old 03-10-2004, 03:49 PM

Out of curiosity, what did you own? I've been thinking about going to a 2nd gen AWD. Why are you giving up? What problems did you have? CW? Couldn't get it tuned? Are you trying to go for high performance sports vehicle? I don't know if Maximas are capable. It doesn't have the NA power potential of a high displacement V8, and it wasn't designed FI. I guess if you build the engine up, it could handle enough boost to make lots of power, but from what I've heard at the FI forums, when you go FI, you basically have to expect the car to be problematic. Probably more problematic than your DSM was. The first gens in particular were built to handle really serious power. It appears that Maximas are a terrible platform to build a fast car. Even Civics would be better, with their huge aftermarket. No one I have heard of has tried serious engine work to make big NA power on a maxima. I think the car just doesn't have the potential for that. It may just be cheaper to go FI, and probably make much more power with a turbo rather than trying to make NA power by internal work on a 3.0 6. In fact, I have never heard of such a small displacement NA 6 that makes any real power. Of course, anything can be fast if you throw enough money at it. The VQ30de is nice and reliable, but in terms of power/cost, it doesn't even compare to what can be done with ls1s and 4g63s.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear
difinitely do this. I want to do it so bad but i dont have any cash. IMO take your time and build it up right. I say go low compression with nice cams and a decent valve train, heads, decent exhaust, 2000 intake manifolds, pathfinder tb and a silly turbo!!! you could definitely hit 350 horse +. Then go with a six peed baby

the VQ has nice power, but has a lot more potential
Old 03-11-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eric425
Out of curiosity, what did you own? I've been thinking about going to a 2nd gen AWD. Why are you giving up? What problems did you have? CW? Couldn't get it tuned? Are you trying to go for high performance sports vehicle? I don't know if Maximas are capable. It doesn't have the NA power potential of a high displacement V8, and it wasn't designed FI. I guess if you build the engine up, it could handle enough boost to make lots of power, but from what I've heard at the FI forums, when you go FI, you basically have to expect the car to be problematic. Probably more problematic than your DSM was. The first gens in particular were built to handle really serious power. It appears that Maximas are a terrible platform to build a fast car. Even Civics would be better, with their huge aftermarket. No one I have heard of has tried serious engine work to make big NA power on a maxima. I think the car just doesn't have the potential for that. It may just be cheaper to go FI, and probably make much more power with a turbo rather than trying to make NA power by internal work on a 3.0 6. In fact, I have never heard of such a small displacement NA 6 that makes any real power. Of course, anything can be fast if you throw enough money at it. The VQ30de is nice and reliable, but in terms of power/cost, it doesn't even compare to what can be done with ls1s and 4g63s.

I have done work on 1st gen DSMs for a while. I owned a gst and a gsx. Both were more than capable cars. 1st gen AWD is the only way to go if you want to get into DSMs. Even though they are older they are far less problematic. I just got bored with DSMs there is nothing wrong with them. You can make a silly fast DSM for less than 5k including car if you know what you are doing. I have a Maxima I have had for about a year. It is a 95 5spd I picked up for less than 2k. I really let her go though because of financial dificulties and family problems. I fired her up for the first time in about 6 months with only the need of a jump because the battery was dead. She ran great, still silent, still smooth, and still ready to run. I beat my buddies 03 spec-v and decided it was time to put some effort into the max. I moved her into the new garage and I am ready to get to work. I am merely planning now, cant do anything for a few weeks because I dislocated my knee. I plan to do it right though. I want to complete build up of the engine then go FI. I am really just trying to figure out what all I am going to do and in what order. I am open to any suggestions as I am sure plenty of people here know more about tuning the max than I do.