4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Girl hit bumper, should I bother?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Girl hit bumper, should I bother?

Today after school I was driving along, and a kid stepped in front of me so that a girl could get out of her parking spot and leave school. So she preceded to back out of the spot, and the idiot just slammed right into my bumper and kept going. I laid on my horn, but I guess that means to go faster? But anyways, I got out of my car and diding some cussing and scared the crap out of the kids in the car and the kid who stopped me. Then I got the principal who was outside, and I told him about it and tomorrow morning he's going to give me the girl's insurance information, etc. But my only question is, should I even bother reporting it and going through all the insurance crap? I'll put a link up to a picture of the bumper. It doesn't look too bad, but like my parents said "you didn't do it, so you shouldn't have to pay or have to deal with it." So should I just report it and see what happens? I mean most of it could probably be buffed out, but there would still be some scratches. But I'm not going to put out the money in order for someone to buff my bumper. And I'll also need a new license plate holder. Just looking for you guys' thoughts. Thank you, Steve

PIC: http://www.d0j0.com/gm/archives/P3100007.JPG
Old 03-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Unless you can't go without a car for a few days, I'd have it fixed. It wouldn't affect your insurance at all, and if you get it fixed, you'll be ****ed at yourself in a couple of years.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From the pic, it doesn't look all that bad. If you are really particular and picky about your ride like I am, I'd report her and get it fixed.

Hey, at least yours wasn't as bad as mine. My EX-best friend backed into my max and left a huge dent in the rear quater panel. He told me he would pay me for the damage after I got some quotes. I got FOUR freakin quotes then he told me he couldn't pay me because his mom told him not to. I was like... This is BS! I was doing him a favor by NOT reporting to his insurance. But anyway, I reported to insurance, got my money, and he is no longer a friend of mine. BTW, he was high off his *** too!

Just my little rant.

drew
Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 PM

I'd report it to insurance, and take whatever money they give you.. I bet you can get it almost perfect with a 3 dollar can of polish, and then pocket the difference..
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 PM

Well that girl is going to be in trouble too. If the principal gets police into it, she might get charged with a hit and run, and that would screw her over. It doesn't look bad at all though. You should get some money for it and fix it yourself with some polish like ch13f said. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:29 PM

get the girls info... contact her throw up a number $$$ and tell her u can settle it w/o claims as long as she pays thats the brooklyn method
Old 03-10-2004, 05:47 PM

tell her to pay without going thru insurance. tell her its 400 for a new bumper and paint..thats less than the duducible she would normally have to pay.... use that to get a stilen lip and new paint for the lip and bumper...good to go..
Old 03-10-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
tell her to pay without going thru insurance. tell her its 400 for a new bumper and paint..thats less than the duducible she would normally have to pay.... use that to get a stilen lip and new paint for the lip and bumper...good to go..

Might as well!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get a lil sucky sucky, can of polish, and your good to go my man...

Eric
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 PM

You might want to check out if there is any other supplemental damage behind the bumper. You won't know if the beam behind your bumper is dented or not unless you remove the bumper....and that could cost $$$. On top of that you have a 3 stage pearl white paint.....not cheap to paint either. Since the person drove away on you and didn't stick around to settle the matter, I think that is all the more reason to pursue their insurance carrier. Since you are a claimant, their insurance company will pay for a rental car too. I know that the state of Massachusetts has a law that will have their insurance company pay for a car of equal size....so don't settle for a Neon or a Cavalier. Good luck with that man! Lata!
-Jeremiah
1995 Nissan Maxima SE
Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JetBlack SE
get the girls info... contact her throw up a number $$$ and tell her u can settle it w/o claims as long as she pays thats the brooklyn method

Exactly...... how we do it jersey.

I got 550 for my truck after i got rear ended, and it cost 32 dollars in parts and hour of work to fix it myself.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:12 PM

Yeah report her, she needs a lesson anyways, if not she'll go out and hit everyone and run away like its nothing bad... Screw her, she dont deserve to drive...
Old 03-10-2004, 07:14 PM

go through with it so that she will learn her lesson--who knows, by catching her carelessness now, you might be able to save her life later
Old 03-10-2004, 07:15 PM

^^^ That's how we do it around where I live too, crosse8. BUT, since that girl just drove away like it was nothing holy **** I would tear her *** up - that is some rude **** to do to someone with a Maxima! She needs to learn a lesson. Just my .02
Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

make her fix it. having to have a bumper painted is an excellent reason to buy an aftermarket front lip/bumper...
Old 03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
The original VQ...

try to talk him in to coughing up some cash, my friend did that, he didnt get to much but the kid got off of getting higher insurance.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM

Hmmm. The bumber is a safety device and is designed to crumple. In addition there are sensors for the airbags somewhere in there. Because you don't see a dent in the flexible plastic doesn't mean that there is not any safety protection damage.

Point 2: Anyone who drives away...

...shall be impailled in the rear end with a hood ornament.

Hmmm. Safety and illegality. They brought this on you. And now you are asking yourself to forego the proper process... Let the process decide, it's what it is there for and why you pay $$$ to protect yourself.

My 2¢.

Mr. P
Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
brotherhood of tq

im with eric on this one. Tell to pay to get it fixed and you wont tell the cops about her hit and run, and then get some A S S from her until ur car is fixed. At least once a day till ur car is repaired.
Thats what i would do.
Will
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Always sunny in philly

she left the scene of the crime, trying to get away with it.

Why should you cut her slack? NAIL HER TO THE WALL.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

that's hit/run man. If the popo gets involved, they will tow her car away and she'll have to pay impound fees and all sorts of junk.

you better tell her that she pays u $500 straight up for the damages or you will contact the police and she will be in big trouble.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:56 PM

pfft...bumper pictures. Who cares bout that, show the pic of the girl

But yea, have your car checked out first, to make sure its just your bumper that got damage, not something else. If thats the case, tell them you can settle this matter w/out insurance (and since she's a teenager, i think she'd be more then happy to do so). If its more then just bumper...to insurance.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
you better tell her that she pays u $500 straight up for the damages or you will contact the police and she will be in big trouble.
... cant she sue you for blackmailing then? o.O
Old 03-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Ok, well this is if it were to happen to me, if she's hot, I make her pay with some ACTION, unless she says NO, then I'll be look her biatch, I'll make a big *** deal of this to the Insurance company, now if shes a nasty *** ho, then I'll just go with the insurance company. (no offense to anyone)
Old 03-10-2004, 10:55 PM
DoGGy

man when i read the topic of this post, i thought i was gonna read about gang bangin.

dude when a girl slaps ur bumper, ur suppose to ram her tailights. if u know what i mean

Old 03-10-2004, 10:58 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

you guys are seriously lame.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:04 PM
DoGGy

if you say so

Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
V^___^V

ugh...this is gettin

Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 PM

what does it matter who hit the car, it could have been an old lady or paris hilton, you shouldnt have to pay for someone else's mistake. if you want to go the polish way, than tell her to pay for the polish at the least.
my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ilyaat
... cant she sue you for blackmailing then? o.O
This is blackmail, and I wouldn't stoop to such means. Settling without getting the insurance involved is one thing, making the threat "Pay up or I'll have you thrown in jail" is another.

I'd seriously assess the damage, and if it's significant I'd go after the money that it takes to fix the problem. Whatever the outcome, I'd contact her and ask her what the hell she was thinking! If you can settle the matter without getting insurance involved, I'd go that route. With insurance rates these days, her deductible may be more than the damage anyhow.

I can't believe that people these days are quick to 'take the money, spend $3 on polish and pocket the rest'

I guess dignity is worth more to some than others.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:01 AM
ABK

You can just go up to her and tell her that she could just pay you for the damage, because it's prolly going to alot less then her deductible is. She would have to be stupid not to do it. First of all your insurance might go up if you claim it and hers will for sure.

Oh yeah tell her to hook it up with some head (if she is hot) and you might as well do the work yourself
Old 03-11-2004, 06:14 AM

There's not going to be underlying damage, really. She pulled out of a parking spot. As far as "reporting" it, even if it isn't your fault and your insurance rates don't go up, you'll have one strike closer to most insurance companies 3 strikes in a year your dopped policy. Is it really worth the risk. Just get the bumper buffed out or a quote (to show cost) and do it yourself and buy a new license plate holder. Have her pay you for the costs and be done with it.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:52 AM

Go get an estimate! or three for an average of the cost. Then, present it to her and see if she will fund it outside of the insurance. Like the other are saying, her deduct is probably at least $500, and I bet for sure there is not that much damage.

I agree with sryth though, I guess dignity is worth more to some than others.

I would have called the cops(not for the point of the hit and run) to report the thing, so that there is no way the story can be turned around. I mean, if the cop writes an objective story down of all that happened, it is really clear what the insurance company can do. Keep that in mind next time. Don't even move your car, if you can help from it.

Point is, even though it was totally wrong for her to just drive off, she is a girl and might not have even realized that she hit you. Seriously! They are dumb (for the most part, when it comes to driving....don't take offense Ange or others on the .org...I am not talking about you.)!

You might just try the polish thing after talking to her ahead of time for her to pay for the polish. If it does not come out how you will be satisfied, having talked to her ahead of time, then go back to her and tell her that more needs to be done. Discuss all of this ahead of time, before you do anything though. You can handle it like adults....adults talk about stuff and own up to what they have done.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JetBlack SE
yea man that's the all of NY method

Originally Posted by NISMOMAXMAN
Ok, well this is if it were to happen to me, if she's hot, I make her pay with some ACTION, unless she says NO, then I'll be look her biatch, I'll make a big *** deal of this to the Insurance company, now if shes a nasty *** ho, then I'll just go with the insurance company. (no offense to anyone)
exactly. nah in all seriousness, i know you love your max and all (as do i) but for the lil bit of damage it looks like you got i wouldn't even care. maybe cause here in NY people are always bangin into your car if it's parked on the street.. my bumpers look like sheeit so i'm used to it. if the girl is your style then you can definitely turn this bad situation into at least a beej.

Originally Posted by chillinmax
she left the scene of the crime, trying to get away with it.

Why should you cut her slack? NAIL HER TO THE WALL.
with your ****. seriously though, i'm surprised how all our fellow .org'ers are tellin you to go for blood, we love our max's but what about this kid's rep at school? he doesn't wanna be the guy at school who made a big deal outta not all that much and stuff. at least i wouldn't. but hey i'm a nice guy, who likes to pimp the ladies.