4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VB Mod Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:14 PM

VB Mod Feedback

I'm thinkin pretty seriously about doing the VB Mod, need some feedback from others who have it. Is it well worth $600? how hard are the shifts, how much more "drivable" does it make it?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:37 PM
V^___^V

IMO VB mod is a waste of money for autos. just do the drop resistor mod and get similar result. although the concept approach in different way, but in general you shift faster (eliminates the "luxurious shift", aka the auto lag).

before VB mod, pick up some basic bolt-ons. intake y-pipe exhaust etc...
Old 03-10-2004, 10:54 PM

I'll post tomorrow afternoon about if its worth getting the VBmod. I just recently purchased one, and am about to install it tomorrow, wish me luck.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by happyricefob
IMO VB mod is a waste of money for autos. just do the drop resistor mod and get similar result. although the concept approach in different way, but in general you shift faster (eliminates the "luxurious shift", aka the auto lag).

before VB mod, pick up some basic bolt-ons. intake y-pipe exhaust etc...
I agree 100%

I like the way my auto shifts on the street at part throttle and don't want it to be any harsher.

What I want is for it to shift as fast as possible when I am at WOT and thats what the DR mod does.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:29 AM

I wouldn't give up my VB mod for the world. I bought my car used and the previous owner already had Don's VB installed. The 1-2 second delay when the car shifts is gone and the car is still very drivable.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I've had the VB Mod for over a year now. I've gotten so used to the shifts that I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:15 AM

Where can you get the drop resistor mod at? I was thinkin about gettin a vb mod....I already have the tranny cooler installed...I just want it to shift faster at WOT....if any1 can tell me that would be great...also how much does it cost? thanx
Old 03-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

happyricefob- you speak from experience i'm sure. i mean you must have had one installed and then uninstalled it because you didn't like it right? i'm glad you can give us an educated answer because you've had both. and just an FYI the drmod is 100% different from the vb mod...they do not have similar results when driving. i don't understand how you could think they produce the same type of shifting, seeing as how you've had both...please enlighten me.

JIME-people don't buy these who want soft shifts at 3-4k rpm. if you like a soft shifting auto stay stock and use the dr mod when your at the track. this is for people who want harsher/harder shifts during daily driving.

wunfstmax- you don't buy it buddy. goto your driver's front strut tower. see that grey connector with a white and green wire attached to it, disconnect the connector and there you go. you've just done a DRmod. pat yourself on the back and go for a drive.

if i'm at 2.5k or lower it shifts like stock. as the RPMs increase the harshness/hardness of the shifts increase. the DR mod makes every damn shift rediculously hard. you can't use the drmod during daily driving, you can with the vbmod.

the VB is the best mod i'v done to my car bar none. i would reccomend it before anything else done to an auto, *gasp* even the most beloved y pipe. it is a completly different driving experience imo.

also i'v never heard of sumone who had the upgraded vb say it was useless or stupid. but i havn't been here as long as the rest of you folks so maybe some people don't like it. but all i'v heard is praise. hell i got mine from araffio and he said it was the best performance mod he ever did too!

good luck with your decision getting a vb or not. you know what i think.