4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hooked the battery up the wrong way....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Banned

Hooked the battery up the wrong way....

Yeah im an idiot and wasnt watching what I was doing when swapping to an optima red top.. long story short i hooked the cables up in opposite polarity because i wasnt paying attention.. Once I saw what I did i immediatly ripped the battery out.. I put the regular one back in and hooked it up the right way and I started the car without any problem..
I did noticed my ABS and TCS lights wont turn off now and my tach only operates if I hold the brakes. I didnt get to drive it anywhere to see if anything else was wrong or not.. I started looking at some fuses and I noticed i blew the 120amp battery fuse. Is there anything else I should look into? If the battery fuse blew then how come the car still starts up? Did i risk any damage to the ecu or anything? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:39 PM

EEWWWW thats not a good thing..... can cause severe problems..... check every fuse and relay
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Banned

yeah i plan on checking all the fuses in the morning. maximas have 3 different fuse boxes that I saw.. so much more complicated then my mustang.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 PM

oh yeah they are.... most (foreign) cars are an electrical nightmare... unlike a mustang that is gas, spark, & fire...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Banned

sometimes simplicity isnt all that bad lol
Old 03-10-2004, 09:32 PM

You may want to disconnect the battery for 24hrs then reset your ecu if the lights don't go away. Check all your fuses first or it won't help.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Yeah check all the fuses, I hope your ECU or your ICU isnt fried. I did that with my 89 Prelude and I even had it started! The wiper would not stop wiping and the headlights would not flip up but the lamps would turn on, the locks wouldnt work, nor would the windows - I was ****ting myself!! But I found out I put the battery in backwards and I switched it and no fuses were blown. I hope your as lucky as I was!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

well im not getting any codes from the ecu yet... im going to try and replace this fuse in the morning and see if that solves it. hopefully it does otherwise im just going to drop it off at the dealer and act innocent and let my warranty do its job.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Banned

Well I woke up this morning and tried to pull that fuse and i cant get it out for the life of me.. anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 AM

just be happy u didnt mess up the connectors on the battery and got ur *** electrocuted!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Banned

haha I came very close to doing that too. now if i could only get this damn fuse out i can see if that fixes everything.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

well aparantly after replacing the fuse.. nothing happened. also noticed my windows, radio and sunroof dont work either. anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sped
well aparantly after replacing the fuse.. nothing happened. also noticed my windows, radio and sunroof dont work either. anyone have any ideas?
You checked ALL your fuses or just the one that you saw was blown?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Banned

i checked every single one of them... only the 120amp battery fuse was blown.. the rest were all intact but i did notice a little bit of burning on the blades of the other fuses.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:43 AM
V^___^V

you probably jacked up some of the internal harness as well... which is a very bad thing.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

Thats what im figuring happened.. Thank god for warrantys I just hope I can get it covered.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Thats what im figuring happened.. Thank god for warrantys I just hope I can get it covered.

well, don't count on dealerships trying to help you when it comes to warranty work. They will give 100 diffrent reason just not to cover it under the warranty or extended warranty.
I just dropped off my car at the dealer ship Prior to the code I got last week from Auto Zone ODB II reader.
This is what the Service Advisor telling me:
"since there is no Check engine light, we might not be able to find the problem with your car today, It also can be a False Code" i told him what does that sepouse to mean, he said "well it could be that there is nothing wrong with your car, so i told him can you explaine why I am burning so much gas? "He was like we are going check into that, we will let you know". My car is burning too much gas and only thing i thought it could be wrong with it is the knock sensor, so I went to Auto Zone and the guy scan it, an sure it was it came back as a bad Knock Sensor. What I like to know is that, why would the car ECU detect a False code and store it as something wrong witht he engine?

Now I think this Advisor going to call me back and tell me that, the reason my car is burning more gas, it is because you have after market Intake and A racing pipe under your car. If you take those off your car will not burn any extera gas.

I have extended warranty through API warranty company. Now I have this feeling they might not fix my problem and give me run around. This is very common at dealerships.

Just know this they might find out why your car is like this.
well other then that good luck to you.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Banned

yeah im expecting the run around with the stealer... I have the factory nissan warranty. Im going to go and play innocent and see what happens. I set an appointment up for monday to drop the car off so hopefully it doesnt blow up by then lol
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

yeah im expecting the run around with the stealer... I have the factory nissan warranty. Im going to go and play innocent and see what happens. I set an appointment up for monday to drop the car off so hopefully it doesnt blow up by then lol

Yeh it is worth the try. Which dealer ship you going to? I dropped mine off at Habberstad Nissan. Well if they give me run around I will call nissan corperate. They don't really like that, but it is not like it would change a thing. It is just a word against the Dealer ship.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Jedi Knight

u sir...made a huge mistake...but I have a feeling that if you changed all the fuses...all your troubles might go away..
Old 03-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Banned

I've checked every single fuse.. the only one that blew was the battery fuse and that was it. all the others are still intact.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
ABK

put your old battery on, go to the dealership and tell them it just happened.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:11 AM

how the hell did you fit the negative terminal on the positive post?

this doesnt sound good. i hope its a fuse. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned

Once I realized what I did I immediatly put the old battery back in. I didnt actually put the negative terminal on the positive.. I had the positive on the negative then almost shocked myself real good when i went to put the negative on the positive.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Hella internets

jesus christ...

Never done tha b4 and i pray to jesus that it wont EVER happen to me hehe....

I hope you figure everything out...as for the stealership, good luck, it seems the more you argue with them (keep your cool tho) the more they give in...cause no matter what they tell you your mods have nothing to do with the way your car is acting up, if they give you the run around just sit there and make it a STRONG point that you arent gona leave untill they figure it out...

That usually works for me, seems like everyone wants to push everyone around untill you bit ch about it hehe...

of course tho, dont be an *******...keep your kewl and act proffesional, you will get your way...its worked for me along with ALOT of peeps i know...
Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Banned

I wish they could try and deny me for mods.. Its bone stock not one thing touched hah. so they cant throw that one at me. my mustang is my money pit this is my very comfortable daily driver
Old 03-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

Ok... got the car back from the dealer yesterday. They fixed my windows, sunroof, rear defogger, cruise control. They still didnt fix the tach, abs, tcs, and radio.. Theyre trying to claim its because of the blue bulbs i have in my gauges that caused this.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 AM

LOL I hope your not surprised... Dumbarses blame it on everything... What does the blue lights have to do with the radio/abs/tcs
Old 03-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

exactly.. but whatever ill put the stock bulbs back in to please them then bring it back and ***** yet again