4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bad MAF ground = VQ runs like poo

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Bad MAF ground = VQ runs like poo

Last night was installing my hybrid intake in place of my hacked airbox (simply for fun and data log). 10 minutes later the swap was complete and I started my car. Immediately the car sounded as if Harley cams had been placed in the motor. The thing would barely idle and within 5 seconds my garage was brown with raw fuel hanging in the air. I was like WTF! All the electrical connections and vacuum lines were perfect and I've never mishandled the MAF. After brainstorming, it was pretty clear there was some sort of issue with the MAF. I inspected it and reinspected it. I then tested the MAF wires and it turns out ground wire was shorting out. Over time with mutliple intake/removal installs, the MAF ground wire must have become weakened and it severed itself. As I moved the wire around to inspect it, it broke off about 1/8" past the weather connector. I thought to myself how will I fix this since I have no wire to work with? I grabbed a fairly heavy gauge speaker wire and attached the wire to the chassis. I then took the wire and forced it into the connector where the original ground wire was sticking out. I retested the ground and everything was well within spec. I started up the car and it ran perfectly except for the CEL blaring at me indicating 4 trouble codes As of right now, my ghetto ground wire is working perfectly and is secured to the connector, but I think I'll go to the junkyard and cut out a MAF connector with adequate wire lengths and splice it in.

Everyone be careful with your MAF connectors. The wiring does get frail. If your engine starts running like absolutely crap and spews raw fuel, check the MAF ground wire. The engine will run, but barely.

Dave
Old 03-12-2004, 03:38 PM

good looking out dave, let me ask you something, did you actually drive teh car with teh bad wire? I think the car wont rev past a certain RPM with a bad MAF sensor, will the car act the same with a bad ground wire? If nto then I may have this problem, let me know, thanks.

BTW: thanks for the water outlet pipe
Old 03-12-2004, 04:29 PM

i spliced a wire into the MAF ground and ran it straight to my neg battery term
Old 03-13-2004, 08:10 AM

i had the same problem except it was my power wire...good luck trying to find a connector...i checked in like five states and only 1 yard had it and wouldnt sell it. I had a extra after market foglight harness, and just cut a piece outta there, spliced it, and solder it to some wire outta the connector...but hope you have more luck than i did