4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JUST installed INJEN and OMG !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:24 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by CystumMax
yeh that hssssss sound its pretty cool. Do you hear any whistle sound when you drive?

no i dont, i only hear a whistle sound when i rev at idle. when it gets to 2k rpm it kinda whistles and goes away.

do u hear any whistles?

Old 03-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by DoGGy
no i dont, i only hear a whistle sound when i rev at idle. when it gets to 2k rpm it kinda whistles and goes away.

do u hear any whistles?
yes i hear that whistle noise when I am driving the car. I get that whistle noise when the car is around 2k rpm when it goes higher you can't hear it.
well its not big deal, plus when you have the music loud you can't even hear anything.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:41 PM
DoGGy

yea. im gonna have to spend twice on gas now and start savin for tranny rebuild. and i sure will miss playin music in my max.

i been visitin redline for past 100 miles

Old 03-13-2004, 11:44 PM

yea. im gonna have to spend twice on gas now and start savin for tranny rebuild. and i sure will miss playin music in my max.

what do you mean redline? you mean you doing a lots of WOT?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:07 AM
DoGGy

yea hahha. i swear ive been to 6k rpm like 15 times for past 100 miles. my tranny will die soon

Old 03-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

He means he's been rev'ing the engine up the the redline on the tach.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:37 AM

Congrats on the purchase and install. It took me about 2 hrs to install my injen. Nothing wanted to line up, and pipe #1 and the MAF wanted to elbow where the hose connects. Some water does get on the inside of that splash guard that the filter sits above...so I've noticed. I purchased one of those filter heat shields...very similar to the "injen" heat shield, minus the logo...17bux shipped. The way I have it connected, it keeps the heat from the tranny away, and it acts as a splash guard around the filter, but it encloses radiator heat a bit. I'd rather suck up heat than water. It's definitely a mod for sound, but it sounds rather glorious.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
I cant believe you had such a hard time installing it. I found it to be real easy.
I does sound nice at WOT but I wouldnt compare it to a SC. Their way louder.

takentomax , definalty wait for the flywheel. I feel it was a nicer gain then the Injen intake, especially if you already have an intake.

I dunno. I think a CAI/Y-pipe setup is louder than a supercharged Max. Supercharged Max does have a much different sound though.

I am also looking forward to my flywheel.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:04 AM

yea hahha. i swear ive been to 6k rpm like 15 times for past 100 miles. my tranny will die soon
LOL, i have been doing that since i had my intake. I bought mine 6 months ago. no problem with the trany yet(knock on the wood). everything else is good.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:26 AM
In Maxima We Trust

i luv the injen but i dont like the filter they give you 2 small
Old 03-14-2004, 09:05 AM

I have no idea why everyone here likes Injen!

I bought mine at the same GB as Doggy and also had some issues with installation because I had no instructions at all (damn Injen!). But I'm not complaining about the install, my beef is that it's not as good as I imagined. By the way I had JWT before Injen so that's what I'm comparing it to. First of all, the price is crazy - $217 and in my opinion all of the components are not worth that much (paying for a reputable company name is not my cup of tea). JWT is around $100. Second, the performance is not as good as JWT. Even though, Injen has a progreessive and smooth power delivery(good if you like luxury sedans) JWT has a much more agressive pull especially at WOT after 3k rpms.

In my opinion, JWT is a much better choice because of price and power delivery.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:12 AM
vsamoylov

interesting, is jwt a cai also?

Old 03-14-2004, 11:28 AM
eturnl

man you guys! you are all driving me crazy with all these acronyms, i just found out what WOT means but there are so many others! first of all, i want to know what this thing sounds like? and is it a mod just for sound? cuz if so thats pretty crappy! besides how can an intake give you gains when you're still limited by your exhaust? i mean i dont know much about this stuff but to me that .... but anyway what is the main purpose of the mod? and i want to know what is sounds like!

Old 03-14-2004, 11:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i'm missing the bottom splash guard, i need to get it, im afraid im gonna suck up water
Old 03-14-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
No, HAI because it sits in the engine bay (replaces the stock air box).
Old 03-14-2004, 01:58 PM

have fun at the gas station

intake makes your gas milage worse if you floor it all the time.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 PM

i thought you were banned from modding?????

oh well congrats on the intake.

but uhhhhhh please do not compare a CAI to a SC.
there is no comparison in price, sound, or performance. ............

jk

enjoy but beware cops in so cali are looking to make the state a lot of money and unless you have a carb sticker you are illegal. just be safe.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:41 PM
V^___^V

yea please don't rev like that. and i don't think u wanna get pull over and pay a ticket that cost more than your injen CAI itself.

Originally Posted by jdmmax
but uhhhhhh please do not compare a CAI to a SC.
there is no comparison in price, sound, or performance. ............

uncomparable.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:42 PM
V^___^V

jwt only makes cone filter. but you can make it a JWT with either bomz racing CAI piping, injen CAI piping, or place racing injen CAI piping. (w/ intake adapter at the end of th e CAI piping, then JWT adapter, then the JWT filter.)
Old 03-14-2004, 02:48 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by mm347
I have no idea why everyone here likes Injen!

I bought mine at the same GB as Doggy and also had some issues with installation because I had no instructions at all (damn Injen!). But I'm not complaining about the install, my beef is that it's not as good as I imagined. By the way I had JWT before Injen so that's what I'm comparing it to. First of all, the price is crazy - $217 and in my opinion all of the components are not worth that much (paying for a reputable company name is not my cup of tea). JWT is around $100. Second, the performance is not as good as JWT. Even though, Injen has a progreessive and smooth power delivery(good if you like luxury sedans) JWT has a much more agressive pull especially at WOT after 3k rpms.

In my opinion, JWT is a much better choice because of price and power delivery.
i had 4 different intake setup in the past, and i have similar impression as yours.

intake #1, APC filter: all sound no go
intake #2, bomz racing CAI w/ k&n filter: every gear revs very smoothly throughout the rpm range, but felt lost of power at top end (didn't have y-pipe back then)
intake #3, bomz racing short ram w/ K&N filter: midrange rpm pulls a bit harder than CAI setup, the throttle response felt a lot better.
intake #4, bomz racing short ram w/ JWT filter: basically like #3, i can't really say anything about the power cuz it was all based on feeling. but very similar to #3.

here's a CAI vs. short ram comparison from long time ago. cheston vs. nabil. good old days >> http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html
Old 03-14-2004, 06:47 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Wow that took you way too long. Give yourself a pat on the back after your done sh!ting yourself because you gave your VQ a whole 3 HP and TQ. Super!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:48 PM
vsamoylov

so stock airbox is better

Old 03-14-2004, 07:53 PM
V^___^V

so stock airbox is better
stock airbox + spaniard's custom cold ram air verision 8.66 (whatever) is better
Old 03-14-2004, 08:33 PM
BOSS

it's always funny to hear someone install an intake and think it has made a ferrari out of their car just because it sounds mean

Old 03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by broaner22
Wow that took you way too long. Give yourself a pat on the back after your done sh!ting yourself because you gave your VQ a whole 3 HP and TQ. Super!
LMAO! very well put

Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
LMAO! very well put
People always feel the need to rain on someones parade. The guy is happy with his purchase so why make fun of him?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:08 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Miguel97GLE
People always feel the need to rain on someones parade. The guy is happy with his purchase so why make fun of him?
I didn't make fun of him. It's a fact of life - we have all modded our cars before thinking that a certain mod made our car much faster, only to find out weeks/months after that it did almost nothing of such.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
I didn't make fun of him. It's a fact of life - we have all modded our cars before thinking that a certain mod made our car much faster, only to find out weeks/months after that it did almost nothing of such.
I still feel the power of my Injen even after months of the install. Even the track show me some better number and better trap numbers. Injen is a really good intake and it looks awesome. All intakes will give you about the same gains, so comparing intakes is bit hard. However if you really know your car you will feel even the smallest amount of power.
My car used to feel like it was in desperate need of air at around 80mph. With the Intake it just feels like all the air is there for the intake to suck it up.
I had my franker car for a week before I almost gave it away. I really didn't like how loud it was while cruising at highway speeds. Also living in Arizona during the summer the engine bay gets almost as hot as the engine it self. I installed my Injen around last summer, and could totally feel the difference. After a long drive I would open my hood and feel the pipe, only to find out it was warm but not Hot Like people said it gets. After a while of it sitting while the car was off the pipe would get really hot.
I don't think is just me, There is lots of other members who use the injen and love it, as much as I do.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:41 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Miguel97GLE
well...we won't make fun of him unless he started... check these out:

omg i swear these civic and integra dudes around my house gotta start packin up on extra underwear and jeans cuz once i give them a flyby at 4kRPM, they will automatically LEAK and pi$$ ALL over that HONDA emblem on their streerin wheel. omg imma TEAR the streets apart with this thing.
but man i feel like i just poped in a v12 SC engine under the hood
hahahhaha i already think i got SC under the hood.

man people wont even dare to race me. once they hear the intake, they be like "oh **** 15 psi or so"
i mean...yea intake is great, but no offense or anything... u don't need to get so excited man. seriously chill out before you pick up a ticket that cost more than your injen CAI itself. i'm serious, don't do dumb stuff on the street and kill yourself (and other people). driving fast with modded fast car doesn't make you are a good driver, driving safely and responsibly makes you a good driver. if u wanna race or anything, take it to the track where its legal.

being maxima enthusiasts (like you), i just wanna drop off a friendly reminder. as a maxima community, i doubt people wanna hear your crashing story. just be safe man and don't get urself 0wned aite?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob

i mean...yea intake is great, but no offense or anything... u don't need to get so excited man. seriously chill out before you pick up a ticket that cost more than your injen CAI itself. i'm serious, don't do dumb stuff on the street and kill yourself (and other people). driving fast with modded and fast car doesn't mean you are a good driver, driving safely and responsibly makes you a good driver. if u wanna race or anything, take it to the track where its legal.

being maxima enthusiasts (like you), i just wanna drop off a friendly reminder. as a maxima community, i doubt people wanna hear your crashing story. just be safe man and don't get urself 0wned aite?

so yea...therefore i on boss

Old 03-14-2004, 10:53 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by happyricefob

i mean...yea intake is great, but no offense or anything... u don't need to get so excited man. seriously chill out before you pick up a ticket that cost more than your injen CAI itself. i'm serious, don't do dumb stuff on the street and kill yourself (and other people). driving fast with modded fast car doesn't make you are a good driver, driving safely and responsibly makes you a good driver. if u wanna race or anything, take it to the track where its legal.

exactly what I had in mind

Old 03-14-2004, 10:57 PM
DoGGy

why u h0es hating. i got a mod and im enjoyin it. im not stupid *** who thinks intake gives u 50 hp. so stop laughin at me and start LOLin at urself. more airflow doesnt mean more hp, unless u got headers and exhaust to LET OUT the EXTRA air coming in.

and happyricefob, whats up with the quotes? the intake does sound mean and i do think i have a v12 now. cuz my car is that loud. and yes, people would wonder whats under the hood after they hear it.

boss do u think u got a LAMBO just cuz u got 5 gears to play with?
no.... but its fun to drive. thats the way i feel about my intake. its fun to hear the growl

Old 03-14-2004, 11:00 PM
DoGGy

btw i DO feel somewhat HP gain, my car feels a bit faster. i dunno if i just think that cuz it sounds meaner or not.

nuff said.........

Old 03-14-2004, 11:01 PM
V^___^V

and happyricefob, whats up with the quotes?
cuz i like to watch you get

j/k good job on installing the intake by urself
Old 03-14-2004, 11:05 PM
DoGGy

i need to reinstall it and hook up the handle. that $hit was a b!+ch to install. dont make fun of me but at one point i thought i had to take out the radiator hose to put the filter down there, and once i took the radiator hose out..... well you guessed it.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM
V^___^V

i need to reinstall it and hook up the handle. that $hit was a b!+ch to install. dont make fun of me but at one point i thought i had to take out the radiator hose to put the filter down there, and once i took the radiator hose out..... well you guessed it.
oh......sh*t...

that's...not good man.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:09 PM
DoGGy

dont worry i filled it up

Old 03-15-2004, 01:06 AM

It's nice to see you're enjoying modding. I'm 18, this is my 2nd car, 1st car was a slow buick. I get Excited with every mod, It's fun. When I first installed my CIA I too loved it, It has a one of a kind sound, and it does sound mean. Keep up the good work, keep modding, and stay enthused.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:54 AM

Every little mod is especially fun when you know you're the already most modded max in town. then each mod just puts you that much more ahead.

I was excited when i got my CAI
I was excited when i got my y-pipe
I was excited when i got my exhaust
I was excited when i got my suspension
I was excited when i got my rims
I was excited when i got my window tint
I was excited when i got my FSTB!!!!!
And I'll be excited for every other mod I get in the future!

Sounds awesome Doggy!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:05 AM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
Every little mod is especially fun when you know you're the already most modded max in town. then each mod just puts you that much more ahead.

I was excited when i got my CAI
I was excited when i got my y-pipe
I was excited when i got my exhaust
I was excited when i got my suspension
I was excited when i got my rims
I was excited when i got my window tint
I was excited when i got my FSTB!!!!!
And I'll be excited for every other mod I get in the future!

Sounds awesome Doggy!

thx and goooood u gotta love that dual exhaust setup u got there.

Quick Reply: JUST installed INJEN and OMG !!!