4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UDP and STS review (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:50 AM

UDP and STS review (kinda long)

This weekend I had some toys installed on my car. MZMTG helped me out and installed my MotoStorm UDP and B&M STS. This was on saturday. I wanted to give the car some time to adapt, or me I guess. Well my first impressions of the UDP were that it looks pretty nice and is good quality. Couldn't really tell a difference after the install. Of course I was also dealing with the new STS. The B&M sits closer to the front of the car than the stock shifter. It definitely sits lower and reduces the shift alot. At first the STS was very stiff. 3 days later it has started to losen up. I even put the B&M **** on. I had a MOMO **** (raptor, I think) on there b/c it's taller and was giving me more leverage. I think I'm going to like the feel of the B&M **** for awhile, it sits lower and its weight gives the shifting a good feel. Now that I'm not concentrating on shifting as much, I have noticed that the car does get going a little quicker with the UDP. It's not like a supercharger of course, but for the 75.00 I paid for it, it's definitely worth it. Install wasn't too bad I don't think, but I wasn't doing all of the work. UDP took longer to install than the STS. The hardest part of the UDP was getting the bolt from the stock pulley. We broke a universal joint on that, and ended up cranking the car to loosen it(unplugged all coils). Worked like a charm. After that, one belt didn't fit, got the next biggest size and all was cake. Both projects were completed within about 5 hours. Of course this included letting the car cool down (it was hot from traveling for an hour) and two stops for trips to autozone. We went a little slow so I could actually try and learn what was going on b/c I'm car stupid. With someone who knows the install well, this wouldn't take long at all. It was a great weekend and I'm very happy with both products. Thanks for reading.

Oh yeah, btw, I had a bad 02 sensor, causing the KS to act up. I replaced the 02 sensor yesterday, and KS code is now gone. I'm hoping I will get added performance now that the KS is operating correctly. I'll update the review in a day or so.