4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Forced Air Intake partially put together; Just got back from a test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Forced Air Intake partially put together; Just got back from a test drive!

Sorry guys, I am sure you've heard it a million times already, but I had to.
I am building a forced air intake and just came back from a test drive after installing the cone and a fabricated MAF adapter.
HOLLY ****!!!!!!! I didn't realize it was going to be like that! I absolutely love it. It is quiet and normal under normal driving, you can hear that something is brewing under there around 4-5K, but at WOT............WRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMM!!! Like a ROUSH Mustang. And I don't even have the resonator off yet! I LOVE IT!

once again, I just had to share this lovely experience
Old 03-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any pics? I'm going to try somthing like this when it's warmer...
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM

Write-ups are welcome

I want to get some sound under the hood and the less I spend the happier I'll be.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:29 PM

how is your forced air intake setup? any pics? hey tyrexx, i see youre not too far away from my location, only 1.5-2 hours of sheboygan. when it gets nicer and warmer out (doesnt look like thats happening since its snowing during my spring break) we should get together with a few other max. owners. sorry for going OT
Old 03-17-2004, 04:31 PM

from mistycal

Way cool dude! Are you sure it is like the neighbor's Stang? good luck on finishing it.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maciek
Way cool dude! Are you sure it is like the neighbor's Stang? good luck on finishing it.
forced air intake????? omg that has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard!!! lol lol

Is this a newbie thread or what?!? lol omg I'm sorry this just cracks me up. What your hearing is just a normal intake sound.
-Paul
Old 03-17-2004, 06:26 PM

sounds like a mustang.... ummm no.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheMax95
forced air intake????? omg that has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard!!! lol lol

Is this a newbie thread or what?!? lol omg I'm sorry this just cracks me up. What your hearing is just a normal intake sound.
-Paul
what do you find wrong with forced air intake? The original setup is called a ram air, because it "forces" to the filter. But with all the bends and tight places there isn't much forcing going on. So if I had a flex tube lead air directly to the high flow filter with very little congestion it would in fact be a forced air system.
Sounds to me like you just felt like talking **** instead of being constructive.

To everyone else, here is a writeup of my setup:

Intake is a typical HAI with a fabricated MAF adapter and a chrome 3" mid pipe, eliminating the resonator and the snorkel. There is going to be a metal box around the filter, using as much of the available space as possible. Air will be fed to the box via a 4" flex tubing. It will cover the entire opening where fog lights should be, than go through a 4" hole (like in the CAI), under the fuse box, by the battery and into the box.
I am taking pictures of the setup, so once I have them all developed (sorry, no digital camera) I will post it along with step by step instructions.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:15 PM

by Roush, he meant Roush Edition mustang, as in the highly modified ones that are specially produced by Roush Racing, either rate you are hearing the intake, not the exhaust (as you would naturally hear the exhaust on the mustang)
Old 03-17-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chickan
by Roush, he meant Roush Edition mustang, as in the highly modified ones that are specially produced by Roush Racing, either rate you are hearing the intake, not the exhaust (as you would naturally hear the exhaust on the mustang)
I dont' care if its Roush, Kenny Brown or SVT... the Maxima does not sound like a mustang at ALL! O well... move on
Old 03-18-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
I dont' care if its Roush, Kenny Brown or SVT... the Maxima does not sound like a mustang at ALL! O well... move on
Don't forget about Saleen.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by TheMax95

-Paul
why do people feel that they have to post a reply even if they think it's funny.... this is the problem with the .org lately.... stupid bishes like you!!! either say something worth reading or don't post at all...

Maciek, good to see you're finally finishing it up....and yeah, we want pics...

good luck.

Sam
Old 03-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Banned

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics:
Old 03-18-2004, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can't wait to see the pics... good job Maciek
Old 03-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

what do you find wrong with forced air intake? The original setup is called a ram air, because it "forces" to the filter. But with all the bends and tight places there isn't much forcing going on. So if I had a flex tube lead air directly to the high flow filter with very little congestion it would in fact be a forced air system.
Sounds to me like you just felt like talking **** instead of being constructive.

To everyone else, here is a writeup of my setup:

Intake is a typical HAI with a fabricated MAF adapter and a chrome 3" mid pipe, eliminating the resonator and the snorkel. There is going to be a metal box around the filter, using as much of the available space as possible. Air will be fed to the box via a 4" flex tubing. It will cover the entire opening where fog lights should be, than go through a 4" hole (like in the CAI), under the fuse box, by the battery and into the box.
I am taking pictures of the setup, so once I have them all developed (sorry, no digital camera) I will post it along with step by step instructions.
Unfortunately you are not doing anything new here. Lots of guys, including myself, have tried every intake setup under the sun including one similiar to this. This setup will make no more power than any other intake on the market. An intake is pretty much an intake.

Dave
Old 03-18-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
This setup will make no more power than any other intake on the market. An intake is pretty much an intake.

Dave
Exactly, unless you can get your max up to about 200mph and have a huge hood scoop, "ram air" won't do much for you. Just like with the Firebird, the most overrated performance marketing gimmick in years.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM

doesnt matter if his intake is worth a crap or not, just getting the intake sound is worth the install time even if you get 0 hp imo.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vigo327
doesnt matter if his intake is worth a crap or not, just getting the intake sound is worth the install time even if you get 0 hp imo.

believe it or not there are more important things then sound.

adding an aftermarket intake and getting 0hp...i would call that a useless pos product and not worth the install time.

if sound is all that matters i have a cheap mod for you. take a screw driver and bash some decent sized holes in your muffler. 0hp but hey it is sound right!

do you really believe what you said?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus

adding an aftermarket intake and getting 0hp...i would call that a useless pos product and not worth the install time.

if sound is all that matters i have a cheap mod for you. take a screw driver and bash some decent sized holes in your muffler. 0hp but hey it is sound right!

he said it !!!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Visit the Dave B Maxima Intake Museum in Kansas ! Established in 1998

He has had them all !
Admission: $10 Adults - $ 8 Children - $ Org Member Discount $ 3.50
Old 03-19-2004, 05:57 AM

Unfortunately you are not doing anything new here. Lots of guys, including myself, have tried every intake setup under the sun including one similiar to this. This setup will make no more power than any other intake on the market. An intake is pretty much an intake.

Dave
That doesn't really matter to me. I am not tring to make a new discovery here. There are many different ways of moding your intake. Is one better than the other? I don't think so, as long as you have some filtration of the crap that is in the incoming air. But it would be pretty boring if everyone had same intake setup wouldn't it. I am not trying to convert those who already have it to mine, but just share what I came up with. Which is what this site is all about.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:02 AM

Did you say this cause you feel that:
- adding an intake is a waste of time
or
- adding an intake that makes 0 hp is a waste of time?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

That doesn't really matter to me. I am not tring to make a new discovery here. There are many different ways of moding your intake. Is one better than the other? I don't think so, as long as you have some filtration of the crap that is in the incoming air. But it would be pretty boring if everyone had same intake setup wouldn't it. I am not trying to convert those who already have it to mine, but just share what I came up with. Which is what this site is all about.
I agree and have fun experimenting. I was just stating that I've tried and tested every setup at the track and there's no real decernable difference. All I know is that I'm always quicker and faster with the hacked airbox and midpipe compared to all the other setups. I think the reason the hacked airbox performs best for me is because that's the setup I've made most of my passes with which skews the data

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 08:56 AM

I agree and have fun experimenting. I was just stating that I've tried and tested every setup at the track and there's no real decernable difference. All I know is that I'm always quicker and faster with the hacked airbox and midpipe compared to all the other setups. I think the reason the hacked airbox performs best for me is because that's the setup I've made most of my passes with which skews the data

Dave
hey if he thinks the sound is worth it, who is anyone to say whats a waste of time, its his time, you guys who are flaming him like faster cars, which is fine, some other people are about flash and no dash, no problem either, so if he likes sound, its wroth his time, but wouldnt be worth mine
Old 03-19-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
hey if he thinks the sound is worth it, who is anyone to say whats a waste of time, its his time, you guys who are flaming him like faster cars, which is fine, some other people are about flash and no dash, no problem either, so if he likes sound, its wroth his time, but wouldnt be worth mine
who's about all flash and no dash???
Old 04-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Conecarver

Maciek - any pictures yet?

Dave B - all intakes may not be the same. At least I hope not.

Ok, I know I'll have to put up or shut up. But here's some of what I'm piecing together. Sharing knowledge is what I still love about the .org I'm always learning more from someone. Now that the suspension's finished it's back to finding more torque...
The intake needs to be placed correctly
And you do that with high pressure
And the air needs to be forced
And of course it needs to be cold
Old 04-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

If I had to do it all over again I would probably just keep the stock intake system
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 PM

Sorry guys, but no pics. Car was sold. I bought all the stuff: chrome 3" pipe, flex tubbing, but a fella came by and gave me $ I was asking for it and I had to let it go, just to replace it with a 99.
I was going to go through with the project, but there is all kinds of crap clogging the way where the fender hole is supposed to go, so I put it on backburner. Currently I am running a HAI with stock tubing for additional cool air induction.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 PM
V^___^V

Dave

maybe i should start a thread regarding my "custom rice-inducted super duper intake w/ custom ram air scoop version 2.59"
Old 05-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Banned

http://www.vetteguru.com/ramair/

ram air is snake oil. useless.

an intake is an intake, as dave b said.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:38 PM

I probably shouldnt say anything, being that I spent alot of time arguing about this stuff already

Well, but the problem is I cant resist

If anyone wants to talk about manometers and how to best measure whats going on with negative pressure and positive pressure,say perhaps in the midpipe, I am game. I got a manometer but havent gotten around to testing anything. And I think some maybe most of yall know about my "Ram-air" experiment and philosophy
Old 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM

sounds like a good idea that im sure many have already explored.....the loud sound u hear is simply like someone said the natural noise a free flowing intake would do........

i did something that works similar to yours....without using that nasty box for ur filter or much tubing....

1. i took out the air box and cut out a hole on the side facing the driver's side fender.......(this on the bottom portion of the air box so that the air coming in is actually filtered)

2. i then proceded to attached a piece of regular vacuum hose to that hole i made and i routed the tubing under the battery and towards the opening of the headlight...(behind the bulb)....then i routed it into the grill.....on my 96 max there are slits that are about 1.5 inches in height so i was able to make the hose stick in there and face the front of the car)...

3. the second part of the project consisted of taking off the bottom plastic cover.....like under the car...behind the driver's side foglight..... i then proceded to take off the resonator elbow....and used another piece of 2" vacuum hose and routed it towards the headlight......i cut out a 2 inch hole in the bottom plastic cover and stuck the hose into that hole....after attaching the cover u now have ur second source of cold air

---> this allows u to keep the stock box,,,,and add some more airflow.......the hoses are not easily visible......but they actually do work if u seal everything well.....this sort of home made thing wont get u much more out of your engine....but u will feel like ur car is more eager to reach redline .... and yeah the noise.....it comes in nicely around 3k....and keeps going........after 6k u do feel the drop off though......like i heard is the case with most higher flowing aftermarket intakes.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:30 PM

oh and by the way.....the maxima v6 is a great engine and can have a decent sound.....but in no way is it comparable to what a well tuned 5.0 or 4.6 mustang engine may sound.....well maybe like a 4.6 (personally i dont like em much).....had a 5.0 and believe me.......the suction noise between the 3.0 and a well-tuned stang( u mentioned high tune cars).....is not comparable.....face it.......we own sleepers.....theyre more refined i guess......dont get me wrong....love the car....love the lil engine.....but

dont do rice
Old 05-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Maxima95Tuner

you.....really must......love periods......dont.....you

No but seriously, there's only so much power you can gain from just an intake. I doubt any of them really work that much differently. But, it's a good project, and hopefully you'll prove alot of people wrong with it.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:59 AM

Great article!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Conecarver

Good link, thanks. I think I'm good as far as dynamic vs static pressure. Chilling the air will increase static but decrease dynamic. Ramming it in was supposed to help that loss in dynamic. I had no idea about divergent vs convergent funnels though. It may not matter as I can't seem to find an airstream path to use as Maciek stated. I can't go through fog or headlight and the radiator and consdensor are fairly large. Perhaps coming from underneath straight up...