4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket springs with stock SE struts = I don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:35 AM
BOSS

Aftermarket springs with stock SE struts = I don't get it!

Originally Posted by felix822
I don't, but you might find it here---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&page=1&pp=30
----> taken from another thread about springs/shocks yet from another thread.

I'm totally confused. Seems that many people have their SE's on stock struts, with performance springs. I was always under the impression that when paired with performance springs, the stock struts would blow. That's what everyone has always fed me in performance shops around chicago too - said I must have new performance struts to go with performance, aftermarket springs. BTW, I have a 99 SEL - can anyone explain this phenomena to me please?

Anyway, I was looking to get the H&R springs, because after reading much about others, I decided that they'd suit me best. Supposedly, H&R's are not very stiff, while still making the ride "performance". So how would H&R's be with stock 99 SEL's struts? Perhaps suggest a different spring setup with stock SE struts that is better??????? Would Chicago's cold weather affect it???? How long till they blow? Sorry, I admit, I AM a newbie when it comes to shocks/springs, especially on a Maxima.

Obviously I'd rather just spent $200 or whatever it is for springs alone, assuming that I don't really need the struts. I know that paired with performance struts, the springs setup would yield better results, but I don't have the money for struts.

Oh yeah, and I have 60k miles on my Max and I don't want to drop more than 1.5 inches, if that.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2004, 12:55 AM
V^___^V

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 03-19-2004, 12:59 AM
BOSS

Originally Posted by happyricefob
Yes, I saw and read this site about 100 times, but it does not flat out say if it is OK to pair up stock SE struts with aftermarket springs, although it advises not to. I want to hear from people who actually have this kind of setup, possible problems, and how long they had it for.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:09 AM
V^___^V

aftermarket springs on stock shocks vs. aftermarket springs on aftermarket shocks is like a heaven and hell difference:

ex1: rode on my friend's eibach on stock shocks, it's too bouncy. although the drop looks great, but definetly not sportscar handling.

ex2: rode on my friend's skunk2 coilovers on koni yellow shocks. the ride is firm, cornering is strong, true sportscar feeling. not to mention his car looks nice and clean, JDM style.

if you just want looks, pair up any springs with stock shocks. in fact just cut your stock springs. but if you are looking for handling and actual "suspension upgrade", follow maxima modification's recommendation to select your springs and shocks.

fact of the day: aftermarket springs on stock shocks will blow. period. how long they last? well i don't know...depends on the road condition around your area.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:55 AM

aftermarket springs on stock shocks vs. aftermarket springs on aftermarket shocks is like a heaven and hell difference:

ex1: rode on my friend's eibach on stock shocks, it's too bouncy. although the drop looks great, but definetly not sportscar handling.

ex2: rode on my friend's skunk2 coilovers on koni yellow shocks. the ride is firm, cornering is strong, true sportscar feeling. not to mention his car looks nice and clean, JDM style.

if you just want looks, pair up any springs with stock shocks. in fact just cut your stock springs. but if you are looking for handling and actual "suspension upgrade", follow maxima modification's recommendation to select your springs and shocks.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along. I don't care if you walked in the dealer and bought some brand new SE shocks to go with your lowered springs, it will handle like dog doo.

I actually just added to the shocks page:

Shocks are the #2 best handling mod (behind tires) that you can do for your car. So remember to not be cheap when selecting them. Stock or cheap shocks on aftermarket springs will actually handle worse a stock suspension, due to the harsh rebounding and bottoming out from the shocks being unable to control the stiffer springs.

Maybe that will clear things up for people.

I also added an approximate lifetime to each of the shocks on the shocks page on aftermarket springs. If anyone feels like any of that information is dead wrong, let me know, or modify it yourself and I'll check over it.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:04 AM
MadMax in The City

After market springs with stock struts will last about four months...that's been my experience in NY. I had the eibach springs with original struts...the ride was ok for about a month...after wards started to get that spongy, wobbly, lack of control on the corner feeling. I decided to change out to H&R springs and KYB's. Started out a little stiff for a couple a months but settled down to a nice firm ride with great controls on the corners. Didn't compromise too much of the OEM feel...all in all, a good combination.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:31 AM
^ Jeff™

But Eibach said on the box that their springs are designed to work well with stock struts/shocks.

lol

Just save up for the springs and aftermarket struts combo...you'll thank yourself later.
Me<---I got the springs without the struts...it handles a TON better than stock but I knew a long time ago I was missing out on better handling w/out aftermarket struts. I'll be getting aftermarket struts soon but I'm doing the job myself and not paying someone...the job isn't that hard.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 AM
^ Jeff™

Ok your examples are flawed...

Are either of these examples on a Maxima? I know the ex2 is your friend's Integra...of course the suspension will be different than on a Maxima.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:38 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

IMO, people who are running stock struts with lowering performance springs don't know that their ride sucks and most likely don't know they are riding on blown struts. Blown struts don't always leak fluid or cause odd noises. I bet many of these people you speak of on stock struts just think the crappy ride they have is their "sport tuned ride".

I just replaced my tok blues recently and was amazed by how bad my ride had gotten. Blowing struts is not an overnight occurance and these people just get used to the ride and spout about how their car handles soooo good. So to summerise what I think about people who use stock struts for any length of time is that they are just ignorant and don't know how the car is supposed to ride.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 AM
^ Jeff™

Just to repeat what I said...

Originally Posted by MrEous
Just save up for the springs and aftermarket struts combo...you'll thank yourself later.
Me<---I got the springs without the struts...it handles a TON better than stock but I knew a long time ago I was missing out on better handling w/out aftermarket struts. I'll be getting aftermarket struts soon but I'm doing the job myself and not paying someone...the job isn't that hard.
I know for a fact the ride is better than the 4x4 'floating' feeling I used to have on the highway. I may have gotten 'used to' the suspension now and I know the struts may be/are blown. So I'm replacing it soon. I am in no way suggesting anyone should do what I did...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
IMO, people who are running stock struts with lowering performance springs don't know that their ride sucks and most likely don't know they are riding on blown struts. Blown struts don't always leak fluid or cause odd noises. I bet many of these people you speak of on stock struts just think the crappy ride they have is their "sport tuned ride".

I just replaced my tok blues recently and was amazed by how bad my ride had gotten. Blowing struts is not an overnight occurance and these people just get used to the ride and spout about how their car handles soooo good. So to summerise what I think about people who use stock struts for any length of time is that they are just ignorant and don't know how the car is supposed to ride.
I hope everyone read this post because it's completely right.

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 08:38 AM

i've heard of places that "heat" your springs, it causes your springs to compress a little bit more. it costs about $150 and my friend got his q45 to drop 1.5 inches. seems perfect so far...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:54 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by jamaxin97
After market springs with stock struts will last about four months...that's been my experience in NY. I had the eibach springs with original struts...the ride was ok for about a month...after wards started to get that spongy, wobbly, lack of control on the corner feeling. I decided to change out to H&R springs and KYB's. Started out a little stiff for a couple a months but settled down to a nice firm ride with great controls on the corners. Didn't compromise too much of the OEM feel...all in all, a good combination.
Ditto on the Eibach springs w/original struts.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 AM
2060lbs and falling...

My OEM GLE struts blew after 5K on Progress's. I had the same situation as many are describing. I got used to the crappy ride and therefore thought it was alright or even good. When I put on my AGX's I got a harsh slap in the face because I was severly wrong. Progress/AGX vs. Progress/Stock is heaven and hell(As mentioned before).
Old 03-19-2004, 10:00 AM
MadMax in The City

[QUOTE=MrEous]But Eibach said on the box that their springs are designed to work well with stock struts/shocks.

Bare in mind...depending on your driving routine and the road conditions, they might last even longer...maybe eibach was thinking everyone would be driving on smooth roads, and also uses their car on weekends. In that case it might last you a year. But guess what...it will have an expensive effect on your front end. Do the right thing.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 PM

I've riden in H&R spring/Illumina shock 4th gens (supposedly one of the best set-ups), WeaponRcoilover/AGX shock 4th gen/ and random other set-ups.

They were all just OK. None of them by a LONG shot made me want to change my SE struts. I dont bottom out, its not bouncy, non of that. My ride is firm, Its great for me. I love my progress/SE strut combo and would only change the struts if they blew. I just cant rationalize spending all that $ on aftermarket struts. If you want a luxery feeling suspension, dont drop your car.....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 PM
BOSS

Wow, many replies. Thanks all for convincing me not to do it. In essence, it wouldn't hurt because say my stock struts blow after 15k miles - well, that's still 15k miles on a lowered ride, which will otherwise be a 4x4, like it is now.

I can afford the springs now, but not aftermarket shocks. In some 15k miles, I WILL be able to afford aftermarket struts, so I'm a bit hesitant here if ya know what I mean.

Anyway, thank you all!