4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

If you have MEVI

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you have MEVI

A couple questions for those who have MEVI.

First of all, were the gains worth the money and effort?

If you installed yourself how difficult was it and how much time did it take you? If you got it installed professionally where did you get it done and how much did it cost? I'm sure this is a "no no" job for the dealer. Also anyone with info on where they got it installed in the CT area would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tort
A couple questions for those who have MEVI.

First of all, were the gains worth the money and effort?
Definitely. But I have a JWT ecu and 7200 rpm rev limit.

If you installed yourself how difficult was it and how much time did it take you?
It was not a difficult install, just a little bit tricky figuring out the best tools to use with the hidden bolts on the backside.

Be sure to use Loctite on the tiny butterfly valve screws. If you don't they might come loose and give your engine a bad case of indigestion.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:07 AM

I also have JWT ECU along with Y-Pipe, Cat, and Cat-Back Exhaust. Was the gain about equal to what you noticed with ECU reprogramming?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:14 AM

I also have JWT ECU along with Y-Pipe, Cat, and Cat-Back Exhaust. Was the gain about equal to what you noticed with ECU reprogramming?
I can't say. I installed the mevi after installing a supercharger kit. I definitely noticed increased high rpm power. After six months I had the ecu programmed for larger injectors and extended rev limit, and at the same time I increased boost with a smaller pulley.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:47 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah, you usually see the best performance out of the MEVI if your running boost. On an N/A car, it isn't nearly as noticeable, but there is gain up on the top end. Down side is you loose power down in the low end. One of the more typical tradeoffs really. If your planning on running boost, I say the MEVI is worth it. However, if your not, then it's sketchy if its really a worthwhile mod IMHO.

S
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by maximase86
Yeah, you usually see the best performance out of the MEVI if your running boost. On an N/A car, it isn't nearly as noticeable, but there is gain up on the top end. Down side is you loose power down in the low end. One of the more typical tradeoffs really. If your planning on running boost, I say the MEVI is worth it. However, if your not, then it's sketchy if its really a worthwhile mod IMHO.

S
I disagree. With the JWT ECU, the low rpm loss of power with the MEVI is restored. A MEVI/JWT ECU/y-pipe/intake Maxima makes slightly more power from 2000-5000rpms than y-pipe/intake Maxima. After 5000rpms, it's lights out for the Y/I Maxima. With the extended redline and superior high rpm power from 5000-7000rpms (20-45fwhp gained over the stock manifold), the MEVI/JWT ECU Maxima will proceed to put distance on the other Maxima in every gear except 1st. Remember that when I shift from 1st at 7000rpms, I'm landing at nearly 4800rpms and the 2-3 lands at just over 5000rpms. On every shift I'm landing in a thicker and broader powerband. That's what wins races. A Maxima with the JWT ECU will fair better against the MEVI/JWT ECU, but it will still get walked once 3rd comes around. From a 60mph roll, the MEVI/JWT ECU wins.

The calculations have been done and the track numbers have been generated. If you want the quickest NA 4th gen, the MEVI/JWT ECU is the only way to go. If all you care about is 0-70mph, then the JWT ECU is the way to go.

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM

Yeah I have the 2.5 Ypipe and 2.25 catback and the JWT ECU. And the MEVI is my next step. After that I'm planning on the Unorthodox Pulley.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Hella internets

Does Mevi effect Smog?

I live in CA and i dont really wana swap this stuff out every time i wana get smog checked...im already gona have to to it with my y-pipe....also does JWT ECU effect smog as well? has anyone in CA tried to get smoged with MEVI/JWT installed? or just JWT installed without MEVI?

I have posted this question like 10 times with no answer...can someone PLEASE give me one? hehe

Sorry if im stealing the post but concidering there are large gains im wondering if these gains effect emisions... specially since im in cali...
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Does Mevi effect Smog?

I live in CA and i dont really wana swap this stuff out every time i wana get smog checked...im already gona have to to it with my y-pipe....also does JWT ECU effect smog as well? has anyone in CA tried to get smoged with MEVI/JWT installed? or just JWT installed without MEVI?

I have posted this question like 10 times with no answer...can someone PLEASE give me one? hehe
It shouldn't have any effect on emissions at all, except maybe at WOT and high rpm. Aren't emissions tested at partial throttle at some low rpm?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Dave B
I disagree. With the JWT ECU, the low rpm loss of power with the MEVI is restored. A MEVI/JWT ECU/y-pipe/intake Maxima makes slightly more power from 2000-5000rpms than y-pipe/intake Maxima. After 5000rpms, it's lights out for the Y/I Maxima. With the extended redline and superior high rpm power from 5000-7000rpms (20-45fwhp gained over the stock manifold), the MEVI/JWT ECU Maxima will proceed to put distance on the other Maxima in every gear except 1st. Remember that when I shift from 1st at 7000rpms, I'm landing at nearly 4800rpms and the 2-3 lands at just over 5000rpms. On every shift I'm landing in a thicker and broader powerband. That's what wins races. A Maxima with the JWT ECU will fair better against the MEVI/JWT ECU, but it will still get walked once 3rd comes around. From a 60mph roll, the MEVI/JWT ECU wins.

The calculations have been done and the track numbers have been generated. If you want the quickest NA 4th gen, the MEVI/JWT ECU is the only way to go. If all you care about is 0-70mph, then the JWT ECU is the way to go.

Dave
Werd Dave, thanks for the info. Most of the people here who have MEVI's are either S/C'ed, or they are N/A and don't have a JWT ECU, so that's why my response was like that. Didn't realize the MEVI works better with a JWT ECU on a N/A car. Always learn something new. Thanks!

As for emissions, the MEVI won't have any effect on emissions. I've yet to see one person fail emissions because of the MEVI. Steve, yeah emissions are typically measured down in the low rpms where most cars are at most of the time.

S
Old 03-19-2004, 01:01 PM

Anybody have a rough idea of how many hours it took them to install??
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Hella internets

oh kewl...thanks for that answer...for some reason everyone always ignores that question...lol although it may be a stupid one

Thanks for the input..
Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM
I love lamp.

Anybody have a rough idea of how many hours it took them to install??
Depends how familar you with your car engine bay, where everything is connected, how it's bolted down etc. I know people who can have thier old manifold removed and the MEVI installed in about 45 minutes if even that. If you haven't done it before, give yourself a good few hours of time so you can do the job right. It's been proven its very easy to botch this if you rush it. There was one guy up here who wanted the MEVI on like right away. During the process, he some how manged to mix his return fuel line with a coolant line. No one know how the hell he did that....but he had a tank full of coolant!!!! Plus he's been plagued with problems with the MEVI not working right. So give yourself time to do it right, and ask lots of questions when your stumped!

S
Old 03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
In Maxima We Trust

so getting the technosqaure ecu would be a waste of money with mevi?jwt all the way?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by max2max-98se
so getting the technosqaure ecu would be a waste of money with mevi?jwt all the way?
You may pic up the low end loss that comes with the MEVI but I would say that if you have the MEVI it is waste to pay for an ECU uprade that does not up the redline (ie. JWT). In fact, I think the advent of the MEVI has resulted in a horde of JWT sales.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:16 PM

Ive been thinking about an ECU/MEVI in the near future as well. After some research, I would mostly likely get the ECU first, then get a MEVI later.
One problem is that Im a '98. I know people say using a 95-96 ECU would work but it comes with a CEL. Now my question is, does it matter what year ECU i get to be modiefied? (95 has to be used for 97, and 96 has to be used for 98??) or it doest matter? The reason im asking is because theres a 95 ECU for sale. I know I have to match transmissions (auto/man. ECU) but do I have to match the trim too?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by DpG $h0rTeE
Ive been thinking about an ECU/MEVI in the near future as well. After some research, I would mostly likely get the ECU first, then get a MEVI later.
One problem is that Im a '98. I know people say using a 95-96 ECU would work but it comes with a CEL. Now my question is, does it matter what year ECU i get to be modiefied? (95 has to be used for 97, and 96 has to be used for 98??) or it doest matter? The reason im asking is because theres a 95 ECU for sale. I know I have to match transmissions (auto/man. ECU) but do I have to match the trim too?
no, you don't have to match the trim. You can use any 95 or 96 ECU...just try and get the same tranny type.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:55 PM

maximase86 is a smacktard.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:05 PM
I love lamp.

Am not! :P

I'm really a dumbass.

S
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02 PM

hey tort,

i installed my mevi, it was my first major thing i've done on my own...give yourself a 3-4 hours if you aren't that familair with your engine bay...and dont' rush when doing it, cuz if one thing isn't tight enough or placed right you could get yourself screwed with a vaccum leak.....the actually bolting it on isn't hard...preping the mevi, use loctite on the tiny screws for the butterfly valves, put a dab on the threaded part of the screw, don't put it in the hole then screw the screws in, you will get thread lock (like i did )

next is the wiring and the extra parts....make sure you get all the extra parts and yes you will need them all....here is what you need:

-vaccum canister (nappa 11$)
-vaccum hoses (15$ worth)
-vaccum solenoid off an 87 nissan pulsar (70-80$
-hook up wire from RadioShack (red, black, green 16 gage)
-spade connectors (also from Radioshack, should be blue and red
-30 amp switched relay (radioshack as well) its a small black box with for metal connections on it
-summit racing rpm switch and/or harlan rpm switch

www.vanillaice.com/webmasters/hype/mrc/mevi.htm

-this site has good diagrams for the wiring

that's all you really need to know...yes its worth it, i have the mevi, ypipe, hiflow cat. custom 2.5 catback exhaust with apexi n1 muffler and place racing cold air intake and its awesome with the mevi. if you have any questions...pm me or hit me up on aim....Jodeci541

Tony
Old 03-20-2004, 11:31 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Jade95Maxima
-vaccum solenoid off an 87 nissan pulsar (70-80$
-30 amp switched relay (radioshack as well) its a small black box with for metal connections on it
-summit racing rpm switch and/or harlan rpm switch

You can get a solenoid (also called the map/baro switch in some posts) for like $5 from a junkyard of just about any car made in the last 20 years.

The relay is not a good in most peoples opinion, it is known for freaking out RPM switches and the solenoids don't draw enough current to fry the RPM switches so there's no real reason for it, not to mention it makes wiring more complicated for people like me who can't visualize electric circuits.

The harlan RPM switch is a joke, get the summit switch, no questions asked.

My first install took me about 10 hours to get it working as it should because I was doing the wiring wrong for quite a bit of time. The second install I did on a friend's car took like 2 hours. It's really easy once you know what to do.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You can get a solenoid (also called the map/baro switch in some posts) for like $5 from a junkyard of just about any car made in the last 20 years.

The relay is not a good in most peoples opinion, it is known for freaking out RPM switches and the solenoids don't draw enough current to fry the RPM switches so there's no real reason for it, not to mention it makes wiring more complicated for people like me who can't visualize electric circuits.

The harlan RPM switch is a joke, get the summit switch, no questions asked.

My first install took me about 10 hours to get it working as it should because I was doing the wiring wrong for quite a bit of time. The second install I did on a friend's car took like 2 hours. It's really easy once you know what to do.

thats the setup i am running, i have no complaints on the power and the wiring helped cuz my dad works with electronics a lot so that was no problem for me....tort just think it through and ask yourself what direction you wanna go with on yoru car.

Tony
Old 03-21-2004, 02:02 PM

that's all you really need to know...yes its worth it, i have the mevi, ypipe, hiflow cat. custom 2.5 catback exhaust with apexi n1 muffler and place racing cold air intake and its awesome with the mevi. if you have any questions...pm me or hit me up on aim....Jodeci541

Tony[/QUOTE]

are you auto or 5spd? do you have an ecu?

i cant find anyone on here that has a auto w/ mevi and no ecu.
if that is your setup, do you notice any low-midrange power loss?

have you determined if the mevi made you faster in the 1/4

thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 04:02 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by maximase86
There was one guy up here who wanted the MEVI on like right away. During the process, he some how manged to mix his return fuel line with a coolant line. No one know how the hell he did that....but he had a tank full of coolant!!!! Plus he's been plagued with problems with the MEVI not working right.
I agree that maximase86 is a smacktard seeing as the max is a returnless system. He must have really fxcked up to get the fuel flowing backward. LOL. What is so bad about the Harlan switch? Poor construction, design or what?