4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hissing sound when i DONT hold down clutch?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Hissing sound when i DONT hold down clutch?!

this car...this friggin car is ****ing me off beyond belief. Its not even issues with driving, its f*cking noise. Power steering belt, wheel bearings and now this. Whether car is warm or not, if i dont hold clutch down i hear a hissing sound, like air is spraying somewhere or leaking somewhere. Then when i press clutch down it goes away. Not my biggest problem but A problem preventing my car from sounding perfect. Anyone know what the heck this is?

i think i posted like 3 new threads today, all with different issues. All small and all have to do with sound...
Old 03-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Old Maxima Legend

it sounds like what my car is doing, but i dont have enough mechanical knowledge to know what it is.

nissan said its my sychronizer, and also advised me to start planning on a new transmission. i guess it could be lots of other things.

i hear mine best when i pull up to a wall lets say at a drive thru and play with the clutch pressing it and out while in neutral.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:34 AM

Hey guys, it's your throw out bearing. You probably don't need a new tranny. The TOB is $30 at any Napa. The grease that keeps it quiet can sometimes dry up and then you end up with the noise that you're hearing. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:34 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Now tell them that they need to drop their tranny to replace it...
Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Scruit
Now tell them that they need to drop their tranny to replace it...
yea doesnt the throwout bearing have to do with the clutch? i had my clutch replaced recently (2-3 months ago)...so how could grease already dry up?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by GlacialBass
Hey guys, it's your throw out bearing. You probably don't need a new tranny. The TOB is $30 at any Napa. The grease that keeps it quiet can sometimes dry up and then you end up with the noise that you're hearing. Hope this helps.
Throw out bearings are usually quiet when the clutch pedal is not depressed, and then get noisy when you press the clutch pedal. They're not doing anything when the clutch pedal is out.

I'm wondering if it is input shaft bearing noise, since the input shaft is always turning when the clutch pedal is out and stops turning (when the vehicle is stopped, that is) when the clutch pedal is pressed.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Throw out bearings are usually quiet when the clutch pedal is not depressed, and then get noisy when you press the clutch pedal. They're not doing anything when the clutch pedal is out.
Not true. The throw out bearing still spins when the clutch pedal is not depressed. The pressure plate is spinng because the engine is running. The pressure plate still makes light contact with the throw out bearing even when the clutch pedal is not depressed. Because there is little pressure put on the bearing, it doesn't make much contact with the race and with little to no grease, it makes the noise that is being descibed here.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not true. The throw out bearing still spins when the clutch pedal is not depressed. The pressure plate is spinng because the engine is running. The pressure plate still makes light contact with the throw out bearing even when the clutch pedal is not depressed. Because there is little pressure put on the bearing, it doesn't make much contact with the race and with little to no grease, it makes the noise that is being descibed here.
Yeah, after thinking about it, you're right. The TOB is on the input shaft, so it is going to be turning even if the clutch is engaged.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:00 PM

I second on that one. We always heard a throw out bearing problem when the clutch is not pressed.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:19 PM

too bad such a cheap part costs so much time to get to. I mean, dropping the tranny, that is not cool.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:27 PM

My car makes this sound too but it's not really that noticeable. The motorvate site recommends always changing the tob when changing the clutch...maybe go back to people who did your clutch work and find out if they replaced it. good luck.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Old Maxima Legend

meccanoble - took a ride tonight to see what all the max was doing. wanted to know if you noticed yours doing this as well.

1. Parked in neutral clutch not pressed I hear the (sound).

2. Parked in neutral clutch pressed down no sound.

3. rolling clutch clutch pressed down with car in neutral, put in first gear clutch still pressed down(sound)

4. rolling clutch pressed down with car in neutral, put in second gear clutch still pressed down (sound)

1st is louder than second gear and like you were saying about the hiss, mine is a slight sound that almost sounds like a crowd cheering when a person tries to mimic it ! LOL ! its not loud though.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Old Maxima Legend

anyone else want to take a shot at this ?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
meccanoble - took a ride tonight to see what all the max was doing. wanted to know if you noticed yours doing this as well.

1. Parked in neutral clutch NOT ENGAGED I hear the (sound).

2. Parked in neutral clutch engaged no sound.

3. rolling clutch engaged with car in neutral, put in first gear clutch still engaged (sound)

4. rolling clutch engages with car in neutral, put in second gear clutch still engaged (sound)

1st is louder than second gear and like you were saying about the hiss, mine is a slight sound that almost sounds like a crowd cheering when a person tries to mimic it ! LOL ! its not loud though.
Ok...some of this is hard to understand. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, disengage = clutch pedal down; engage = clutch pedal up

To isolate the problem test the following and report back:

Parked, neutral, clutch engaged/disengaged -- engaged/quiet; disengaged/noisy
Rolling, neutral, clutch engaged/disengaged -- engaged/?????; disengaged/?????
Rolling, 1st, clutch engaged/disengaged -- engaged/?????; disengaged/?????

When the sound is occuring, rev the engine and note whether the sound changes or not.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:00 AM

1. Parked in neutral clutch NOT ENGAGED I hear the (sound).

2. Parked in neutral clutch engaged no sound.

3. rolling clutch engaged with car in neutral, put in first gear clutch still engaged (sound)

4. rolling clutch engages with car in neutral, put in second gear clutch still engaged (sound)

mine does the exact same thing!!! and in addition, while rolling, its tough to get into first or second gear especially the first....its very stiff. and since some people are making the engaged and disengaged mixed up, why dont we simply say clutch pedal "pressed" or "not-pressed"
and is the tob the answer or is it something else? and if it is the tob, can anyone elaborate on replacing the tranny? its not just a simple greasing? or you have to actually remove the whole tranny to get to it?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:10 AM
Old Maxima Legend

1. Parked in neutral clutch not pressed I hear the (sound).

2. Parked in neutral clutch pressed down no sound.

3. rolling clutch clutch pressed down with car in neutral, put in first gear clutch still pressed down(sound)

4. rolling clutch pressed down with car in neutral, put in second gear clutch still pressed down (sound)

Old 03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok...this is the confusing part. I can't tell when the sound was occurring. You have 2 situations (neutral/in gear) in #3. Was the sound occurring in both situations? Same question for #4.

To simplify:

Was the sound happening when...

Rolling in neutral with the clutch disengaged?
Rolling in 1st with the clutch disengaged?
Rolling in neutral with the clutch engaged?
Rolling in 1st with the clutch engaged

The reason for all these questions is to isolate the moving (read: noisy) parts.

maxjetblack: I second using the terms "pressed" and "not-pressed"; I also vote that we refer to the throwout bearing as the 'doohickey' and the input shaft as the 'thingamabob'.

Seriously, though, we should use and condone the use of the proper terminology. That's why we're all here: to learn the correct way to do things.