4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 03:39 AM

Clutch Questions

I know that this is a common problem and I've searched previous posts but cannot find any information. This is a nice upscale car that should not be acting like this.
I had the clutch replaced by the dealer in 2001, about 35K ago. Not sure if he installed the "kit" that I've heard isn't good. I am thinking of replacing it again because of these problems..
It is very "grabby"..does not shift smooth,esp in lower gears,
It shakes engaging in first,
It chatters mostly when shifting in second, sometimes in first, so bad, that the wheels chirp,
Clutch 'moaning" in first, especially in heavy stop and go traffic,
Vibration when letting off clutch petal when downshifting.

But, it does NOT slip.

Was thinking of getting an ACT, but after reading all the posts have decided against it. The dealer told me that I may as well just live with it, but I'm afraid I'll do damage to the transmission or drivetrain. I've also tried checking clutch petal height and freeplay and checked the motor mounts.
Are these problems common for these cars? Should I invest $$$ in replacing the clutch at my local mechanics using an after market clutch?

Any ideas/recommendations greatly appreciated
Old 03-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This may sound crazy, but I can tell you how to stop some of the chattering during takeoffs and upshifts. I have done this on all kinds of cars and trucks with manual transmissions from an 18 wheeler to my Maxima. (Keep in mind my Max has 139,000 miles on the original clutch to make you feel better about trying this.) Also, my clutch has made a moaning sound in first from time to time since it was new. As far as pedal vibration on downshifts, it may be the same as the vibration when you upshift. See if it gets better after you try this. Good Luck!

Here is the procedure:
Get in the car and drive it around to warm it up. Stop at a convenient place and pull up the emergency brake and make sure it will hold the car in place. With the car running, put it in third or fourth gear and ease out on the clutch without letting it fully engage while revving the engine for a few seconds. By all means, do not keep doing this until you smell asbestos just try it for about five seconds at a time. After this, drive the car on a road that has no lights or stops on it for about five minutes mashing the clutch about every minute. (this makes sure the clutch does not freeze to the flywheel while it cools back down) Repeat this as necessary but not often enough to make the clutch slip. I have only had to do this twice in the 139,000 miles I have had my car.