4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

trans flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 10:40 AM
Mark's Max

I recently went to Woodfield Nissan and they say I need a Trans flush. Can you tell me if this is really necessary. It is a 95 GLE with 85000 miles that i bought used three months ago. Thanks
Mark

Old 03-19-2001, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mark's Max
I recently went to Woodfield Nissan and they say I need a Trans flush. Can you tell me if this is really necessary. It is a 95 GLE with 85000 miles that i bought used three months ago. Thanks
Mark
If you're car has never had one, I don't think they usually recommend doing a flush if the car has over 60,000 miles. I got mine flushed at 45k and the guy checked the milage before he even agreed to do it.
You might need a trans drain and refill, but a flush?
Old 03-19-2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Mark's Max
Mark
Do you have any complaint about how the transmission is working now? Does Woodfield say the flush will correct a problem, or do they advise it as a preventive measure?

It is worthwhile to replace your Automatic Transmission Fluid at 85K if this has not been done at an earlier time. I'm not sure if their "flush" is just replacement or something more. A complete ATF replacement done with the Magic Sucker Pump should cost US$80, or even less if you catch it on sale. This does not have to be done by the dealer. You can have this service done by an independent shop or any Quicky-Jiffy-Iffy Lube.

There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A minty pink color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:25 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Do you have any complaint about how the transmission is working now? Does Woodfield say the flush will correct a problem, or do they advise it as a preventive measure?

It is worthwhile to replace your Automatic Transmission Fluid at 85K if this has not been done at an earlier time. I'm not sure if their "flush" is just replacement or something more. A complete ATF replacement done with the Magic Sucker Pump should cost US$80, or even less if you catch it on sale. This does not have to be done by the dealer. You can have this service done by an independent shop or any Quicky-Jiffy-Iffy Lube.

There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A minty pink color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.
jinx!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 10:25 AM
mad_max_95_GLE

A complete ATF replacement done with the Magic Sucker Pump should cost US$80, or even less if you catch it on sale. This does not have to be done by the dealer. You can have this service done by an independent shop or any Quicky-Jiffy-Iffy Lube.

Do most or all dealers have the "Magic Sucker Pump"? My dealer quoted me $92 (I assume that means they have the pump??). They also said that there is no way to get all of the fluid out because you can't get what is in the torque converter or the radiator. Is this true?

Old 03-20-2001, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by mad_max_95_GLE

Do most or all dealers have the "Magic Sucker Pump"? My dealer quoted me $92 (I assume that means they have the pump??). They also said that there is no way to get all of the fluid out because you can't get what is in the torque converter or the radiator. Is this true?
I think he's wrong, cause the machine that does the flush, does it while your car is running. It runs inline somewhere with the tranny fluid, so it replaces all the old oil that comes in it with brand new oil as it sends it out.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by mad_max_95_GLE
Most dealers use the pump. You have to ask your dealer what method he uses.

An ordinary drain-and-refill replaces about 50% of the ATF, and that service should cost no more than $20. An ATF change done with the pump replaces 100% of the fluid and that service should cost $70 or $80.

The drain-and-refill can be done by you in your own driveway. It is no more complicated than an engine oil change.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:07 AM

jiffy lube does it. It cost me about $75 and took about an hour total, so I walked across the street and got lunch.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:39 AM
mad_max_95_GLE

Originally posted by breaux124

If you're car has never had one, I don't think they usually recommend doing a flush if the car has over 60,000 miles. I got mine flushed at 45k and the guy checked the milage before he even agreed to do it.
You might need a trans drain and refill, but a flush?
Are you saying its bad to get the tranny flushed after a certain mileage if you hadn't had it done before? Because it might cause leaks? or something else?

I have 99k i bought w/84k so I have no idea if it had been flushed previously or just drained and filled.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-20-2001, 01:23 PM

I've heard that after a certain mileage, they don't recommend doing a flush, just a drain and refill. Call Jiffy Lube or a Nissan dealer and ask. But other people on the board (I forget exactly who) said that the local Jiffy Lube wouldn't even do it.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:40 AM

I want Redline, but don't want to waste it.

An ordinary drain-and-refill replaces about 50% of the ATF, and that service should cost no more than $20. An ATF change done with the pump replaces 100% of the fluid and that service should cost $70 or $80.
Daniel, how do they do the flush? Do they use a separate fluid for the flush, then somehow empty the system and add the fluid, or do the acually flush the system USING the new fluid? I ask because if I want to put Redline in, I don't want to have to buy 10 quarts for the flush and fill, but at the same time I don't want to get the most out of my Redline purchase and not have it mingling, 50/50, with whatever's in there now. I just bought a 98SE 5sp with 32,000 miles, and the other owner seemed meticulous, but I'd rather give the tranny the best I can now and never worry about it again. Even if Redline is an extravagance whose benefits I might never see because the car probably will never see any racing action.

Old 03-21-2001, 07:42 AM

No pump for 5-speeds

Originally posted by htmaxpower

Daniel, how do they do the flush? Do they use a separate fluid for the flush, then somehow empty the system and add the fluid, or do the acually flush the system USING the new fluid? I ask because if I want to put Redline in, I don't want to have to buy 10 quarts for the flush and fill, but at the same time I don't want to get the most out of my Redline purchase and not have it mingling, 50/50, with whatever's in there now. I just bought a 98SE 5sp with 32,000 miles, and the other owner seemed meticulous, but I'd rather give the tranny the best I can now and never worry about it again. Even if Redline is an extravagance whose benefits I might never see because the car probably will never see any racing action.
You have a 5-speed so this thread does not apply to your car. The Magic Sucker Pump is only for automatic transmissions. The only service needed for 5-speeds is a drain-and-refill. That will replace 100% of the lubricant.

In previous posts I used the facetious term Magic Sucker Pump to describe all varieties of transmission flushing machine. Several companies make them, and they are not all alike. Some are "line machines" which connect to the transmission cooler lines. Others are "flange machines" which attach to the transmission filter (or screen) flange. To learn more about these machines, go to
http://www.motorservice.net/ms/archi...600/0600tf.asp
Be aware this article was written by Bob Freudenberger for the service professional rather than the consumer. For a picture of a flange machine, scroll down to the picture of AutoTool's Total Transmission Service machine. Flushing with a flange machine requires removing the transmission pan so it will probably cost more, but the "up side" is that the technician has access to those magnets and should clean them. It's up to you to make sure he does.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:48 AM

Re: No pump for 5-speeds

You have a 5-speed so this thread does not apply to your car. The Magic Sucker Pump is only for automatic transmissions. The only service needed for 5-speeds is a drain-and-refill. That will replace 100% of the lubricant.
Ah. Thank you.