4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mechanically inclined guys: help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Mechanically inclined guys: help.

Help me not get screwed by the mechanic.
I had a prior post about my problem but I think I was misleading.

Ok here is my problem: When I go to start my car it starts but it acts like it does not want to. I know that is vague, but it literally sounds like that. The starter always cranks and sometimes it will try to kick over on the first crank and then nothing. I crank it again and it always starts eventually(well so far at least). I have yet to need to crank it a third time, and sometimes it cranks over on the first crank. It definitely seems to be worse when ithe engine is cold. The dealer says it is the starter but I just got a new one 12/03. The only codes I have are a KS code and a rear O2 code from my test pipe. Can anyone think of what it could be or more importantly what it definitely is NOT. I was told the KS should not effect the starting, is that true? Im about to go back to get it looked at and I don't want to get screwed. So I need help. Thank you in advance.

PS- Im a 97 with 108k.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by pearl97
Help me not get screwed by the mechanic.
I had a prior post about my problem but I think I was misleading.

Ok here is my problem: When I go to start my car it starts but it acts like it does not want to. I know that is vague, but it literally sounds like that. The starter always cranks and sometimes it will try to kick over on the first crank and then nothing. I crank it again and it always starts eventually(well so far at least). I have yet to need to crank it a third time, and sometimes it cranks over on the first crank. It definitely seems to be worse when ithe engine is cold. The dealer says it is the starter but I just got a new one 12/03. The only codes I have are a KS code and a rear O2 code from my test pipe. Can anyone think of what it could be or more importantly what it definitely is NOT. I was told the KS should not effect the starting, is that true? Im about to go back to get it looked at and I don't want to get screwed. So I need help. Thank you in advance.

PS- Im a 97 with 108k.
Even with extreme knock, your ecu shouldn't retard the igniton advance to the point you cant start. If you have other major problems then it could possibly affect starting but only in case where other things are causing serious problems but it is doubtful. It could be a bad ecu but doubtful. Have you checked your coils and plugs? It is possibly your starter went again, did the last one get replaced out of necessity or as a precaution? Also did you use an OEM or an aftermarket starter? Can you hear any noise from your starter that doesnt sound natural? Are there any driveability issues once it is started?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the exact same problem for about a year now. at first it used to worry me a lot but it hasnt gotten any worse so i just say screw it
Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 PM

check and see if your plugs are fouled, if not that make sure the starter isnt slipping and clean your iacv and tb
Old 04-01-2004, 12:50 PM

How old is your battery?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267096

Read No start TSB's
Old 04-01-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear
Even with extreme knock, your ecu shouldn't retard the igniton advance to the point you cant start. If you have other major problems then it could possibly affect starting but only in case where other things are causing serious problems but it is doubtful. It could be a bad ecu but doubtful. Have you checked your coils and plugs? It is possibly your starter went again, did the last one get replaced out of necessity or as a precaution? Also did you use an OEM or an aftermarket starter? Can you hear any noise from your starter that doesnt sound natural? Are there any driveability issues once it is started?
I just had a major service/tuneup around 8k miles ago. Including plugs. IDK about coils. Yes the last starter was replced out of necessity because the other one was shot and it was replaced with an aftermarket starter. No the starter itself sound ok. And the car drives fine once running, apart from a little hesistation etc from the KS.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 007max
i had the exact same problem for about a year now. at first it used to worry me a lot but it hasnt gotten any worse so i just say screw it
That is actually good news for me. I got around 12 more months until Im paid off and then Im gettin a Z. If it makes it that far I'll be happy.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
check and see if your plugs are fouled, if not that make sure the starter isnt slipping and clean your iacv and tb
OK I will. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pappa Grande
How old is your battery?
Just replaced it 3 weeks ago to try to remedy the problem, no luck.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
Thanks, Ill check it out.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 PM

The Nissan mechanic seems to think that it is the starter, but it really doesn't seem like it because it always cranks, I mean always. It seems like its the engine that has the problem but I obviously don't know sh*t. Shouldn't I get a code if it was the IACV? Or something else electrical. If so then would that leave a fuel problem as the culprit.

Oh and thanks to all for the help.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:56 PM

i have the same problem.. mine cranks and all but sometimes it acts like it is not getting enough fuel.. today i held my foot about half way on the gas and it started with me giving it gas... this only happens when the engine is cold after sitting for overnight or longer..
Old 04-01-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima 504
i have the same problem.. mine cranks and all but sometimes it acts like it is not getting enough fuel.. today i held my foot about half way on the gas and it started with me giving it gas... this only happens when the engine is cold after sitting for overnight or longer..
Yeah exactly, me too. Give it a little gas and snap she starts right up. That would obviously point to a fuel problem you would think. But IDK.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pearl97
Yeah exactly, me too. Give it a little gas and snap she starts right up. That would obviously point to a fuel problem you would think. But IDK.
i really wouldnt worry about it unless it starts to affect how it drives