4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Considering a 99

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Considering a 99

I'm thinking of buying a 99 se maxima. My current car (ford) is falling appart and I'm looking for something reliable yet fun to drive. Is there anything I should keep my eye on when looking at used maximas?

Also, is it possible to swap a 5th gen 2001+ steering wheel to the 4th gen? I like the audio controls and would want to wire them up to an aftermarket head unit. IIRC the steering wheel on the 2000's are the same as the 4th gen, but I dont know if anything significantly changed after that (ie air bags, or cruise control wiring).
Old 04-02-2004, 02:15 AM

Greetings gentlemen. Any information in regards to the post above would be greatly appreciated. I read through the faq and didn't find my answer. I do not have search capability. If anyone could link to some previous threads for answers to my questions, that would be excellent.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You are pretty safe with a 99. Just look for the obvious issues as with any car when you are driving and inspecting the car. I don't know of any hidden things to watch out for.
As far as the wheel goes, why wouldn't you just get a stereo control unit and mount and wire it on the column instead of going through all the hussle and additional expense of replacing the whole wheel?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:16 AM

99s are hot!

Only thingd to look out for in a 99 are the ignition coils like to go this year for some reason. And if you ever think you'll do an ECU upgrade, it wont happen with a 99, unless your name is Donald Trump or Bill Gates.

I personally love my 99 and have had no problems with it as of yet (knock on wood).
Old 04-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
99s are hot!

Only thingd to look out for in a 99 are the ignition coils like to go this year for some reason. And if you ever think you'll do an ECU upgrade, it wont happen with a 99, unless your name is Donald Trump or Bill Gates.

I personally love my 99 and have had no problems with it as of yet (knock on wood).
yeah, I did hear of the coil going out. Mine was replaced just before I bought the car
Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Cool, thanks fellaz.

I dont know about hooking those audio controls up to an oem 99 wheel. They look very flush with the 01-03 wheels. But I'm not in the mood to figure out the dealings with the airbag system or what not. We'll just see.

I just need to get a newer and more reliable car than what I have now. If my parents keep saying nothing is wrong with my current car and won't help me by cosigning on a new loan, then I'm going to my university credit union take out a loan to get a 99 maxima and have it paid off by the time I graduate.

If I have to take such an action, my eyes are set on a black or dark blue (if nissan made any) SE automatic. The only option I care about is a moonroof. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM

i changed my coil a week after i got it thank god it was only one.......