4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

F M I S

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 01:06 PM
GusGus

Has anyone tried the FMIS? Front Mounted Intake System.

I was looking at their site and found an intake for Maximas...

Anybody have one? Has anybody ever seen one?

Here is the link to their site : http://www.maxxfmis.com

and here is the link to the Maxima pic:
http://www.maxxfmis.com/html_air/2fmis20.htm#

Old 09-22-2000, 01:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

As I said before-->

It's a good idea but they make it look like an intercooler. So people will think you are force inducted. I think if you have something that looks like an intercooler, you had better have be supercharged or turboed.
Old 09-22-2000, 01:39 PM
GusGus

So you think that it looks Ricey?

I think it looks kinda cool...I just am not convinced that this filter and set up will be able to provide the necessary air..

I wrote the company and asked for more information, and any stats, on HP increases.

Lets hope that they send me a reply at least.

Old 09-22-2000, 01:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ricey? I would like the term "poser"->

more. If they make it look more like a scoop instead of purposely making look like an intercooler then that would be fine. Also that's an alot of tubing from the front of the car to the maf.
Old 09-22-2000, 01:56 PM
GusGus

...OK,

thank you for your reply..I gather from your response that you have issues with the aesthetics of the product. Understood.

Is there anybody else that would like to comment on the "Performace Gains" or the possibilities of this product?

Old 09-22-2000, 02:47 PM

it might

function more like the cai. won't be sucking the hot air from the engine bay. might want to put up one of those mesh grills to protect it though.
Old 09-22-2000, 02:58 PM

I've been told by tehm that the Maxima is suppose to increase about 8-15hp. I wouldn't that either. It looks good but again yes it looks like an intercooler. IMOP i think it may work better then the plane racing CAI. The faster you go, the more cold air is rammed into it. They also have a little plexi shield there to prevent water getting in and rocks. It looks good, but until i hear people using it, I wouldn't touch it. This may work very vyer well with the S/C cars. Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2000, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't mind trying it....

It looks good, but I agree, that if you look super/turbo charged then you better have some HP to back it. Good idea.....just would like dynos or comments from people that actually have used it. How much does it run? $$

Old 09-22-2000, 05:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With that, wwouldn't you need to keep your front license plate bracket off your car? I know it is illegal in some states so you may want to check into that also
Old 09-22-2000, 06:03 PM

I think it's quite ugly, actually, to have that huge block prodtruding underneath the car. Just my opinion, but if it works, who knows.....
Old 09-23-2000, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It doesn't sound that much better than PR CAI. I don't think it would be worth the extra 100+ $s.
Old 09-23-2000, 08:17 PM
compu_squid

Just checked out that site this thing goes for 345 that sounds like quite a bit for what it is (unless it actually works). I'd definitely take a wait and see attitude. ~C

Old 09-23-2000, 08:39 PM

i'm guessin'

it'll give low end but not high end. more bend and stuff on tubing will slow air flow. it'll help low end cuz of that but the air flow won't be fast enuff for high end. it won't be ram air either. tru cooler air but won't help that much IMO. so i say build a ram air box would be nicer.
Old 09-24-2000, 01:22 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

ewwww
one of the ultimate poser mods side by side with clear rear tails and Z3 fendergills. There arent really any gains compared to a CAI so why spend more money on this FMIS crap. Should juss get a turbo if you want Intercooler looking thing
Old 09-24-2000, 12:00 PM

FMIS

I think all that addded tubing will kill the throttle response. And what happens when it suddenly rains!!!! instant death to your engine.( water in the engine) For the price I would rather buy a CAI.
Old 09-24-2000, 01:48 PM

Re: i'm guessin'

Originally posted by mingo
it'll give low end but not high end. more bend and stuff on tubing will slow air flow. it'll help low end cuz of that but the air flow won't be fast enuff for high end. it won't be ram air either. tru cooler air but won't help that much IMO. so i say build a ram air box would be nicer.
It gives it high end by forcing air in. It's a ram air set-up that looks like a intercooler. It sits in the wide open man. The faster you go, the more force inducted it is. There should be a substantial amountin high end due to that. I do agree though, there are bends, but not many, 3 bends. As long as they aren't 90degree bends then your fine. I also agree that no intake set-up is worth over 300... 250 is even pushing it. So who wants to be the ginuea pig???
Old 09-25-2000, 05:33 PM

how bout who wants to be the venture capitalist? and i'll make one for a real real cheaper price outa cb composite one.. i would assume some air gets crammed into the thing but i doubt that much. i think they should just have a scoop there and have a cone filter under the hood, but inclose the whole thing in a box so you got a ram air box, much more efficient.
Old 09-26-2000, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by mingo
how bout who wants to be the venture capitalist? and i'll make one for a real real cheaper price outa cb composite one.. i would assume some air gets crammed into the thing but i doubt that much. i think they should just have a scoop there and have a cone filter under the hood, but inclose the whole thing in a box so you got a ram air box, much more efficient.
That's true. Air does get crammed in but i always guess it's to what extent. Oh well. Anyone want ram air? How about a S/C? hehe.