4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New tokico springs for 4th gen... any good???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 03:38 PM
BOSS

New tokico springs for 4th gen... any good???

I just saw this write-up and I never actually knew tokico also made springs for 4th gen Maximas. Up until now I thought tokico made only suspension struts/shocks like say the illuminas or the HP.

Anyway, does anybody have the tokico springs on? The write-up found here: https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...on/index.shtml gives instructions and overall review of the new tokico springs on the tokico illuminas, which is very good.

The awesome thing is that the illumina series suspension kit is only $569 from custommaxima.com to be exact. I say "only" because this kit includes tokico illumina struts, which are known to be the best for all 4th gen Maximas. ($599 - $30 for mentioning the review = $569) The springs give a 1.5 front and 1.3 rear drop based on what was said in the above-listed review. That is almost the exact same setting which H&R's supposedly give.

So, buying H&R's for $189 and illuminas for $499 would come out to be $688!
Am I better off with the kit mentioned above for only $569???

Please comment, even if you don't know much about the tokico springs. Thanks

Old 04-02-2004, 06:47 PM

i have the kit - except i have the blues instead of the illuminas - and i love it - the ride is not harsh at all and it sits a little bit lower than stock -although i heard it should sit even lower when the springs settle - i used to have ground control and agx and it was so scary driving 80 mph - but with this setup i have no prob reaching 115 (than i ran out of road) and the ride is so smooth - also i have no prob taking turns at very high speeds - all i need are some new tires and ill be flying around turns even faster - i also have fstb and rsb just so you know - later
Old 04-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that write up is from Luke's car AKA: gtr_rider.
As far as I know he loves the suspension, and it looks great. I think they look better than H&R
Old 04-02-2004, 07:27 PM
BOSS

so would you say that the tokico springs are just as good as the H&R's?

Old 04-02-2004, 07:40 PM
BOSS

Wait a minute, I just looked at custommaxima website and it says that the tokico springs come with a lifetime warranty!

HOLY ****! I guess I got nothing too lose - except perhaps the time it takes to replace them in the future - God forbid.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:46 PM

All I have to say about the Tokico Illumina Kit from CM is that it rides like a dream. I thought it would really harsh and uncontrollable, but it actually is really nice to drive. My mom drives the car and she doesnt complain at all.

The drop is a little be more than the advertised 1.5" drop, which is great because it is really noticeable from any angle. Ive had some people drive my car which are running Eibach/Blues in their maxima and they were really impressed.

I give this suspension kit a 5/5.

Pic of drop in sig -----V
Old 04-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Chassis Freak

I was about to make this same post. Thanks, BOSS.

Yeah, the glowing review is on both the Org and VQPower.com. It's almost a little too glowing; it makes me suspicious.

I didn't realize how new these springs are. How new is it, and is there anyone else with testimonials? This sounds like the perfect spring/strut kit (assuming Tokicos springs are as good as their shocks) and it's a very good price, but I only want them if the springs are top-notch.

Also, on CustomMaxima they have photos showing silver powdercoated springs (look hot) but at the bottom it says "Springs are red". What's the deal with that? http://www.custommaxima.com/TokicoKits.php
Old 04-02-2004, 07:58 PM

What is so suspicious of the review being on both the .org and VQpower.com? I own VQpower.com and I am the editor for "ShopTalk" on the org.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Chassis Freak

Sorry, I did not mean it to sound that way. I didn't mean it's suspicious because it was on both sites; I meant it's suspicious because it's such a glowing review.

My concern is simply as follows: of course Maxima.org is going to give it a good review because the Org is sponsored by CustomMaxima.com (as we see at the top of every page). That's like cigarette companies sponsoring research designed to show that cigarettes aren't bad for you. I'm not saying that any of you have such an agenda, I'm just pointing out the conflict of interest.

So, I'm just asking for corroboration in the form of independent testimonials. If I hear a few more of those, I'll happily give my money to CM for a great spring/strut package.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Masaccio
Sorry, I did not mean it to sound that way. I didn't mean it's suspicious because it was on both sites; I meant it's suspicious because it's such a glowing review.

My concern is simply as follows: of course Maxima.org is going to give it a good review because the Org is sponsored by CustomMaxima.com (as we see at the top of every page). That's like cigarette companies sponsoring research designed to show that cigarettes aren't bad for you. I'm not saying that any of you have such an agenda, I'm just pointing out the conflict of interest.

So, I'm just asking for corroboration in the form of independent testimonials. If I hear a few more of those, I'll happily give my money to CM for a great spring/strut package.
Very well stated Masaccio!

gtr_rider: can you tell me if allignment is necessary after installing the kit? I always heard it is necessary to do an allignment after changing a suspension.

Also, what settings should the struts be on when doing the allignment? Finally, I heard that one should drive some time with the new suspension before actually doing an allignment, is that true?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
Very well stated Masaccio!

gtr_rider: can you tell me if allignment is necessary after installing the kit? I always heard it is necessary to do an allignment after changing a suspension.

Also, what settings should the struts be on when doing the allignment? Finally, I heard that one should drive some time with the new suspension before actually doing an allignment, is that true?

Thanks
Everytime you remove suspension parts is recommended to do an alignment. As far as waiting a while, is up to you. When they say to wait a while is because the springs will need to settle and it can change the camber of the car. With H&R you won't have any camber problems so you can do the alignment as soon as you are done installing them.
Even the 1.5 drop of the Tokico springs will be fine as far as camber goes. I currently run sprints 2.0 drop and my camber is on the Stock specs. I didn't need a camber kit.
If you don't want to wear out your tires, do the alignment as soon as you can
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 PM

It is always necessary to do an alignment after you've touched your suspension. I wouldnt drive too long without doing the alignment in case your alignment was thrown way off during the install. As far as settings go, that is for the alignment person to deal with I have no idea.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:38 PM

the settings of the struts won't affect your alignment specs at all. You can have them on any setting and change them when ever you want without having to re-align. They just change the ride comfort level.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:55 PM

Hey Luke,
You got your kit from CustomMaxima, right? What color are your springs? Someone above mentioned the same thing that I noticed. The pic on the website shows silver springs. I ordered the Tokico kit off of eBay ($560 shipped) and it came packaged from Tokico all together, and had red springs. I got just about a full 2" drop, with a hint more drop in the rear than the front. If the springs hadn't said Tokico on them, I'd have been suspicious. I'm happy with the ride/performance, but I'm curious to know if it's the same package as you got. Are your springs red? Did they come with the struts/shocks in a package labeled Tokico Advanced Handling Kit? As I said, I'm happy, just curious.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:53 PM

I got my Kit from CustomMaxima and the springs that I received were silver (that is my installed spring shown on the page). I think they changed the color of the springs, which look much better in the silver color. The drop is a bit more than what it is advertised to be, which can be problem if you were running 20" tires/rims.

I dont rememeber what it said on the box, but I am sure it says somethign to the effect of "Tokico Gas Shocks". The springs came in a seperate box which didnt say much if anything on it.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
I got my Kit from CustomMaxima and the springs that I received were silver (that is my installed spring shown on the page). I think they changed the color of the springs, which look much better in the silver color. The drop is a bit more than what it is advertised to be, which can be problem if you were running 20" tires/rims.

I dont rememeber what it said on the box, but I am sure it says somethign to the effect of "Tokico Gas Shocks". The springs came in a seperate box which didnt say much if anything on it.

same here - silver springs from custommax
Old 04-03-2004, 06:07 AM
BOSS

I may go with H&R springs after all, which are of best quality I hear and on top of that...

...made in Germany

Old 04-03-2004, 08:05 AM

Sounds like I got a different kit. Are your silver springs made by Tokico?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gibby
Sounds like I got a different kit. Are your silver springs made by Tokico?
Will someone answer this post. I was wondering the same thing. What's the difference between these springs? Are they both Tokico's finest? And why are the red one's on ebay advertised as a 1.25 drop and the silver on CustomMaxima a 1.5 drop. Yet Gibby gets almost a 2.0 drop off the red. What's up with that?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM

Anyone?
My springs and struts all came in the same box, packaged by Tokico, so I assumed it would be the same kit. Seems that assumption was incorrect. Anyone know what's up?
Perhaps Drew has some info here. His maxmods faq has been the authority. But even his write-up indicated the newness of Tokico springs and that not much was known yet. It also mentions only Tokico springs, but does not differentiate between different kinds. I did not even know there were different kinds.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 PM

different kits the red ones gives you a lower ride but low comfort while the silver ones are more oriented towards comfort and performance
Old 04-03-2004, 01:27 PM

The silver AND red springs are both made by Tokico. I dont think there is any difference between the two other than the color change. There is some discrepancy as to how low these springs actually bring the car down. Most of those who have installed these springs have said to have gone a bit more than the 1.5"/1.3" advertised travel.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:50 PM

both made by tokiko but not same springs

red kit- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2470937762
seems like linear rate springs but not sure seen them on e-bay comes with struts/shocks

silver- http://custommaxima.com/TokicoKits.php
i beleive you can buy them only at CM they a little bit on the comfort side

long before the silver came out they were selling the red kit at e-bay

someone correct me if im wrong when i was looking to replace my shocks i send like 5 e-mail to tokiko asking the same but never replied back so i did little research thats what i found but ended buying AGX
Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM

The red springs I rec'd in the package don't look like the ones in the picture on the eBay. In the picture, each coil of the spring is equally spaced, making them look like a linear rate spring. However, my coils become much closer together at the topside of the spring, indicating a progressive spring rate. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I am certainly no expert. Also, the comfort is acceptable, but I don't have any experience with other aftermarket springs to compare. Definitely firmer than stock GXE, and I've never driven an SE to compare. Drop is way more than the advertised 1.25". I eMailed the seller about this, but never got a response. If I had known then, what I know now, I'd have gotten either the kit from CustomMaxima, or gone with the big-buck H&Rs for less drop and possibly slightly more comfort (but mainly the drop).
Old 04-03-2004, 07:14 PM

my point is there are 2 different kits at least the springs are different but i like the lower ride and comfort the silvers offer but im considerinh tein h too
Old 04-04-2004, 12:04 AM

I actually think the reds drop lower. After settling down for about 3 wks, I just measured mine again. They did drop more than the 1.25" advertised, but not 2". Tonight the drop measures at 1.625" in front and 1.75" in rear. This may sound like I have a saggy a$$, but the ride height in front is actually identical to the rears now. I think the ground may not have been completely level when I first measured. It was also before alignment and only minutes after install. The drop is very noticeable, but looks nice. Just more than I expected with the 1.25" claim.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 AM

Does anyone know what springs are being offered in the GD section. The red or the silver in the Tokico Illuminas & Springs package? I was considering this.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:41 PM

tokico always came with lifetime warrenty. i bought my illumnias for $350 shipped. thinking of pairing them up with coilovers. i have a bad feeling but wish me luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
tokico always came with lifetime warrenty. i bought my illumnias for $350 shipped. thinking of pairing them up with coilovers. i have a bad feeling but wish me luck.
Illumnias for $350 shipped.....Did he say that? Who is this kid? Royalty? You must tell us more. How did that ever come about? Preach on, Preach on.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gibby
I actually think the reds drop lower. After settling down for about 3 wks, I just measured mine again. They did drop more than the 1.25" advertised, but not 2". Tonight the drop measures at 1.625" in front and 1.75" in rear. This may sound like I have a saggy a$$, but the ride height in front is actually identical to the rears now. I think the ground may not have been completely level when I first measured. It was also before alignment and only minutes after install. The drop is very noticeable, but looks nice. Just more than I expected with the 1.25" claim.
Hope this helps.
Damn..... I just bought the same package from Ebay 2 days ago, now I dont even know what to think dammmm
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 PM

yes.... I suggest you get the illumina kit from CM, i just got mine installed today and im very impressed with them.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by urmab
Damn..... I just bought the same package from Ebay 2 days ago, now I dont even know what to think dammmm
Don't worry. Even though, I'd have probably ordered from CustomMaxima if I knew there was a difference, I'm happy with my current setup. It rides nice, looks nice, and performs very well. I just set the Illuminas to 3 in front and 4 in back, and HOLY COW what a difference. 2 all the way around is very cushy, and similar to stock ride. 3 on all four is much firmer, but still understeers like before. But once I firmed up the back a bit (to 4) the car is much more neutral. It's a blast in the corners now. I'm having a lot of fun with my car!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:23 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
...and just where did you buy your illuminas for $350 shipped???? huh?!

Old 04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
All I have to say about the Tokico Illumina Kit from CM is that it rides like a dream. I thought it would really harsh and uncontrollable, but it actually is really nice to drive. My mom drives the car and she doesnt complain at all.

The drop is a little be more than the advertised 1.5" drop, which is great because it is really noticeable from any angle. Ive had some people drive my car which are running Eibach/Blues in their maxima and they were really impressed.

I give this suspension kit a 5/5.

Pic of drop in sig -----V

judgin ur sig pic. im estimating the drop to be greater than or equal to 1.7 inch. is that true?

Old 04-06-2004, 06:00 PM

Let's see some pics. Im definetly thinking about getting the set from customaxima. I just want to see how the drop is, if its worth getting it, because i really wanna lower my car and get rid of that wheel gap. So lets see some pics!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:04 PM

Yes, thats true.