4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'99 Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM

'99 Knocking

OK... I have to point out up front that I know my knock sensor is throwing a code. I plan to replace it as soon as the new one arrives. In the meantime, I have a sever knocking problem. Any acceleration in the "moderate" and higher range will cause knocking, backing off stops it. I'm using a fresh load of Premium gas. Plugs were just replaced along with one coil causing a miss (fixed!) but no other maint has been done. Car just hit 60K.

I realize that without the KS working, the engine won't know that it is knocking and will not retard the spark. However, it should also enter "fall back" mode and retard the timing if the KS is bad, right ? I tried disconnecting the KS connector before starting the car and it definately retarded the spark a bit as there was less knocking, but it was still pretty bad.

I think i have a problem that is causing theknock. My fear is that when I put in the new KS that the KS wil retard the timing to stop the knock, but the problem will remain and I will get poor performance. I'm going to inspect the cam and crank sensors tomorrow and see what the timing shows up at - although without a good KS I don't know that it will be reliable.

Is there anything that commonly goes on these that causes knocking ? My wife is not a real aggressive driver, but she doesn't baby the car and I can't believe there's enough carbon in there to be a problem. Anything else to check ?

Thanks,
Old 04-06-2004, 06:42 PM

when you replace the KS, it will pretty much recalibrate itself and the fuel map (i think). I wouldn't worry about any problems with replacing the KS. If you replace it and you still have problems, it's something other than the KS.