4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How/Why did you choose YOUR 4th Generation Maxima??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM

It's real simple. This was what I was looking for to replace my 90 honda accord (which I loved):

Power of a V6 (includes 4cyls with torque like the
se-r spec v), 4 doors, sporty, manual transmission (most important), as large or larger than my honda, very reliable.

There isn't another car that compares except a camry v6, and thats not sporty. My friend was selling his maxima so it was a win win for both of us. Good post!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:23 AM

When i was 10 years old, my parents went to China for vacation. I stayed because of school. My uncle was taking care of me at the time. One day after school, my uncle, aunt and I went to the Nissan dealership to look at cars. Now this is the confising part. Since i was 10 years old, my memory of that day is vague. They were looking at a car that said MAXIMA on it. When i was in the passenger seat, i was playing with the dash. I remember it having the pop out tray compartment. I know its on the I30 but it was on the maxima? Anyways they asked if i like the car. I told them i like it. It was a 95 evergreen gle. They bought the car that day. Now its the year 2003. I was 18 years old .May was the last month of college before summer vacation. I was planning to go on vacation that year. When mid May came, my brother in law calls me up and asked me if i put any thought about buying a car. I told him not really. I mean i didnt even have my license! He then says his moms 96 black maxima(52000 miles GXE) is going to be on sale for about $9000 but she can sell it to me for $5000. I knew how good she took care of that car. She barely drives it. I took a few days to think about this offer. He calls me up at the end of may and asks me again. He said if im willing to buy it, i can pay $3000 first and the $2000 within 10 months. I said ok. I was dead broke at the time. I started to work at my uncles hardware store through the whole summer for $4.6 an hour 64 hours a week. I passed my road test on aug.22 thats 2 days after my 19th b-day. At the end of august, i gave my bro $3000 for the car. My dad took car of the insurance. Today i have $600 left to finish paying for the car. Funny to look back 9 years ago and remembering the day 1 first saw a maxima and liked it. 9 years later, i actually own one.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:44 AM

I've wanted a Maxima since I got out of high school. I had a 1987 camry for 3 years and gave it up cuz the engine was dying on me. Even while I had the camry, I wouldn't stop talking about the MAX. It was so sick, I got everyone I knew and all the girls I got involved pointing at Maximas whenever they saw one. My co-worker offered his burgundy 95 GLE with 97,000 miles on it for 4500. I was going for it but he changed his mind at the last minute. TORTURE! I started searching and found a pearl white 96 GXE for 4200. I saw the car, fell in love with it immediately. I brought him down to 3500 and it was mine! 3 weeks with it and I already put 1200 miles on it!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:25 AM

Man i was rollin around in a 91 Stanza too, my dad drives it now....good times. Anyway my dad has a black fifth gen and i wanted a maxima too, it was either that or a 5spd accord or 2001 5spd Civic, in the end i found my perfect maxima
Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I chose my Maxima for two main reasons:

1. I wanted a car that had both luxury and performance. I wanted something that was nice to drive long distances for my drive to work every day, but that I could still have fun with on the weekends (I live out in the country kinda if you get my drift). Also, I wanted something with a smooth ride, and I DEFINITELY wanted a manual transmission. This ruled all GM cars out, not only because their V6s are underpowered and unreliable, but also because they are rarely paired with a manual transmission under any circumstances. After driving the Maxima on the freeway and experiencing the torque it had for a V6, I was hooked. I bought it that day, and drove it home two hours with a big grin on my face and the tach at about 4000 just for a little "driving excitement". My Maxima has been nothing but good to me, and as far as the handling issue goes, once a FSTB and a RSB are added, it handles MUCH better. I am overall VERY pleased with it, and I intend to keep my baby until the end of her days
Old 04-05-2004, 07:37 AM
nycmaximas member

I first owned a 3rd generation White SE and soon I had to garage it because I couldnt afford insurance. After getting a job I took it out and the brake system was screwed... So I redid the whole brake system from the Brake pads and calipers to the master cylinder. it cost me about $3,000. Then 3 weeks later I totaled it by hitting a pot hole in NYC and lost control... I promised that I would get another to make-up for the lost. So I got a 98 White SE... And Im happier than ever.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 PM

haha I was rollin in a 91 Stanza in high school...good times. Anyway my dad has a black 2002 Max and I wanted one too so I worked at friggin Hy-Vee (dairy and still do..haha) It was either a 98 5spd accord, 2001 5spd civic, and my max, I love my max even if it is auto.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:41 PM

i chose my maxima because i liked its sawdust rims ^^ i knew it had to be mine
Old 04-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Here's why I bought my 99 SE-L. Not in rank order:

1) 99 Maxima on Consumer Reports short list of reliable cars in the price range I wanted
2) My wife was hardover on 4 doors
3) My son was hardover on a manual trans
4) I was hardover on a strong engine
5) Good aftermarket support and user base (maxima.org)
6) Found a low miles example for a good price on eBay

"Carry on, and dread nought"
Old 04-10-2004, 07:43 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

My max was originally my older brother's car but since he moved on to the German side of cars, the Max is a hand-down from him to me, just wish he took better care of it though
Old 04-10-2004, 07:46 PM

I wanted a 97-98 Nissan 240sx SE 5 speed...like someone said they are difficult to find.

My dad has a 5th gen Maxima and I fell in love with it in highschool...my parents were getting me a car as a graduation present and 4th gen was the best I could get which was completely fine by me, main thing i wanted was black (bc it looked best with 4th gens), 97-99 (bc they look a lot better than the 95-96) and SE (so I wouldnt look like I was driving around my grandpas car).
Old 04-10-2004, 10:40 PM

I bought my Maxima on whim actually. I had looked at maximas about a year earlier and wasnt interested. Mainly because I only could find autos with high miles. Lost interest and moved on. A year later I wrecked one of my cars twice in two days and decided it was a bad omen. So once the insurance company offered me a lump sum for the car I took it. I was browsing the used car listing online of a dealership a buddy of mine works for. I saw a 95 maxima black with black interior 5SPD. I said what the hell went out the next day didnt bother to test drive it, paid 2 grand cash and drove home. I have been in love ever since.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
Because my car cost me $8k w/ 26k miles.

is that how much you paid to have someone steal it for you? haha j/k
Old 04-11-2004, 08:36 AM

I bought my Maxima because it looked good, its a 5 speed, and I wanted to laugh everytime I beat a civic, accord, integra, neon...etc. Plus I pretty much knew when that it wouldn't sound like a fart can when I started to Mod.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:13 AM

Just by luck,

At first when i stated looking for a car, i started looking for an 240SX, the drift machine I was going to have soo much fun with that rear wheel drive little brother of the Z. I originally wanted a Z at first (90s) but I know I wouldnt be able to afford it, Time went by and I couldnt find a decent 240 plus my Mom didnt like the car too much.

started looking at altimas, but then we got desperate and I had to setttle for a Camary at a Nissan Dealership , luckily that car was crapp and we ended up taking it back, and what happened to be sitting there, a beautiful black 96, SE 5speed maxima, I was in love.

i still want to get a 240 though, so I can drift out of the drive way, and tune that little machine up.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:06 PM

It was red. Plain and simple.

Also, it had the combo of space and power I needed.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:30 PM

I was in desperate need of a new car. My old '88 Corolla decided to kick the can on me when i needed it the most, and i was starting a new job fulltime and going to college. I looked everywhere, everyday. i basically wanted a small econo car that was a little faster than my last one, and with less problems. Potentials were Integra GSR, Civic EX, 240SX, 200SX, and Grand Am GT Ram Air. Had trouble finding all of them except for the Grand Am, but i heard they were sluggish and had head gasket problems. While looking through an auto trader magazine, i noticed a blue '95 Maxima for only 7K with 77,xxx miles on it. I remember hearing about the small problem, large power, and ability to mod. It was roomy enough to haul my two large a$$ brothers around and anyone else. Took it for a ride and loved the responsive steering and the brisk power on tap. I was hooked. Got the dealer to lower the price a little and fix some things on it...had my new Max in a week of finalizing everything. It's starting to get on my nerves a little lately with the CV boot, caliper, and KS business, but that will be fixed and hopefully the car will last me a long time.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My dad had given me his 89 F-150 when I turned 16. Six months later I turned around and sold it. The Saturday after I sold it I saw dealership ads in the paper for Maxima's at Chico Nissan Hyundai so I went over with my dad to check them out.

This car was calling out to me. It was kinda weird really, I walked straight to it (unintentionally) when I got out of the car. I looked around at it saw that it was a 5spd, everything was in great shape, etc. I loved it. We went for a test drive, loved the torque in those babies. Well, went back to the dealership and bought it. We come to find out they had mismarked it and we got it for 1500 less than what it's worth! I was stoked. So here I am, 6 months and 6,000 miles later and it purrs like a kitten. It's a great car.