4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problems with my NVIS anyone else???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 PM

problems with my NVIS anyone else???

Ok so heres the deal. I took off my warpspeed y-pipe and put the stock one back on. Well it sounded rough leaking bad, so I leave the car overnighht come back and install new gaskets fair enough I presume. I tighten everything up...start the car and it runs for like 2 seconds then shuts off. So I think dang y-pipe must be clogged from sitting around in the garage for so long. So I take it off and try to start it and the same issue. It just turns over but doesnt crank.
So I notice that in the on position the security light is illuminated...first time I have noticed this...its solid....normally its off. So I attempt to start it and it stays lit. So I call up a friend of mine with a 99 and with his key in the on position his security light is off.
I then look in the manual and it says there is a malfunction if it stays on while the key is in the on position.
Any ideas what I can try guys??? if you have had this problem how was it resolved. I'm sure nissan wants to charge millions to reprogram the thing.
What I dont understand is how changing out a y-pipe jacked it up......but oh well.............who knows.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

make sure all of the sensors are still pluged in and try to start it with no y-pipe,

I dont know about that security thing...
Old 04-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

You may have a bad ground somewhere. The EXACT same thing happened to me several months ago, and right before a road trip, too. I sweated the night trying to figure out what went wrong... but make sure your grounds are good and connected tight, disconnect and reconnect the battery, and you should be fine. When I took the car to the dealer after I finally fixed the problem myself (can never be too sure) they told me I had a stored code for NVIS, but that the car was otherwise O.K.. I kinda played it off, but, yeah, that was me...
Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Ok so heres the deal. I took off my warpspeed y-pipe and put the stock one back on. Well it sounded rough leaking bad, so I leave the car overnighht come back and install new gaskets fair enough I presume. I tighten everything up...start the car and it runs for like 2 seconds then shuts off. So I think dang y-pipe must be clogged from sitting around in the garage for so long. So I take it off and try to start it and the same issue. It just turns over but doesnt crank.
So I notice that in the on position the security light is illuminated...first time I have noticed this...its solid....normally its off. So I attempt to start it and it stays lit. So I call up a friend of mine with a 99 and with his key in the on position his security light is off.
I then look in the manual and it says there is a malfunction if it stays on while the key is in the on position.
Any ideas what I can try guys??? if you have had this problem how was it resolved. I'm sure nissan wants to charge millions to reprogram the thing.
What I dont understand is how changing out a y-pipe jacked it up......but oh well.............who knows.

Call up the dealership and schedule an appointment to have your car towed in. Happened to me and a number of other people. They'll charge you anywhere from $25-$80 per key to reprogram them. Make sure you bring your spare too. It sucks, but hopefully its a few years in between incidents.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
make sure all of the sensors are still pluged in and try to start it with no y-pipe,

I dont know about that security thing...
I tried to run it without the y-pipe and the same situation........car wont start it just turns over. Its pretty apparent its the nvis system..since both keys make the security light stay on with the keys in the on position. Yep gonna have it towed..........sigh.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
I tried to run it without the y-pipe and the same situation........car wont start it just turns over. Its pretty apparent its the nvis system..since both keys make the security light stay on with the keys in the on position. Yep gonna have it towed..........sigh.
man jason, that sucks keep me up to date with how it's going... i know you were trying to avoid having it towed in
Old 04-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Check your grounds, I'm telling you.. unless you attempted to start the car with an incorrect key too many times, there shouldn't be a problem. I thought I'd need my Max towed, but.. not the case....
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RichMax
Check your grounds, I'm telling you.. unless you attempted to start the car with an incorrect key too many times, there shouldn't be a problem. I thought I'd need my Max towed, but.. not the case....
Actually that exactly what happened I tried at least 20 times to start the car with one specific key...then I noticed that the security light wasnt going off. So I tried another key to no avail.
I got a call from nissan today and the key I tried to start the car with about 20 times was the one that has a crack right in the area of the chip....he said that key was spitting out bad codes and since I tried so many times it basically killed the programming of the nvis system so the even the other good key didnt work. So all they are going to do is re program the one good key with the new codes...and I am set.
I will remember this next time.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:50 AM

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that.
Good luck.