4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen Lip + 1.5" drop = too low?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Sunrise

I know this was asked before, but it was never answered.

Does anyone know if getting the Stillen Front lip and a 1.5" drop is too low? will it scrape the ground alot? Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the lip? stillen.com is selling it for like $300!!

Old 03-20-2001, 11:01 AM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Originally posted by Sunrise

Does anyone know if getting the Stillen Front lip and a 1.5" drop is too low? will it scrape the ground alot? Also, where is the cheapest place to buy the lip? stillen.com is selling it for like $300!!
woah! you have 4 threads going with the same question. Maybe you should go back and delete some of them.

To answer your question. I have the eibachs and the Stillen kit. I scrape a lot, but the driveways and bumps here are awful. You just have to be very careful going down driveways and over bumps.

Hope this helps
Old 03-20-2001, 11:17 AM

I called stillen yesterday and asked them how much there lip was cause it looked a little expensive on the website and they told me 170.00. So if thats the price then I'll buiy it from them unless I can find it cheaper. How much has it been running all you guys when you get it painted?

Max99
Old 03-20-2001, 11:22 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Sunrise

Does anyone know if getting the Stillen Front lip and a 1.5" drop is too low? will it scrape the ground alot? ...
I have the Intrax and have to be pretty careful... I can clear most concrete "tire stops" in the parking spaces but some of the higher ones don't. You'll also need to enter and exit steeper parking lot entrances/exits at an angle. Lucky thing the Stillen lip is flexible... But the paint will crack if you flex it too much... I think I need to get a new lip or repaint my exiting one...
Old 03-20-2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Chunger

I have the Intrax and have to be pretty careful... I can clear most concrete "tire stops" in the parking spaces but some of the higher ones don't. You'll also need to enter and exit steeper parking lot entrances/exits at an angle. Lucky thing the Stillen lip is flexible... But the paint will crack if you flex it too much... I think I need to get a new lip or repaint my exiting one...
yeah, i agree, but I don't clear those tire stops. My front lip is chipping away b/c I keep scraping at one spot hehe
Old 03-20-2001, 11:35 AM
BlkCat

LOL...now I'm really looking forward to those bumps and scrapes once I attach the lip tonight!

Old 03-20-2001, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Vandanno
LOL...now I'm really looking forward to those bumps and scrapes once I attach the lip tonight!
hehe...I think those scrapes hurt you more than the car.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:57 AM
BlkCat

so how long have you had the kit on your car? I just had mine painted and waiting for the weather to clear so I can wash it first and then mount it. Ever since I put Eibachs on my car I'm finding out which of the driveways I can't go up anymore. LOL. Next thing you know I should be able to eyeball them and tell!

Old 03-20-2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Vandanno
so how long have you had the kit on your car? I just had mine painted and waiting for the weather to clear so I can wash it first and then mount it. Ever since I put Eibachs on my car I'm finding out which of the driveways I can't go up anymore. LOL. Next thing you know I should be able to eyeball them and tell!
I can't remember exactly when the kit was put on, but it's been more than 6 months. LOL! You will be able to tell which driveways you can go up and which you can't. It's so sad when you know you're about to enter a parking lot but find out that your car won't clear it so you have to back up..hehe..

Have fun with your kit. Take some pics and post them
Old 03-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had my kit on for a while now and never hit anything.. when I drop my car it will be 2" because I still have a lot of room under the front lip
Old 03-20-2001, 12:37 PM

Call Phoung

www.eatricezone.com
Old 03-20-2001, 12:39 PM

My lip scrapes a lot

I don't really care either. I payed $100 for it already painted. It was pretty banged up when I got it so I just wet sanded it and touched up the chips in the paint. After lowering the car with H&R's, it scraped a whole lot. When backing out of my our garage, the lip would seriously have an inch clearance. I put on a set of 17" GS400 wheels and I think my car is slightly higher. When you examine the scrape marks on the lip, it only hits a certain spot (over and over again). Besides you scrape the underside of the lip, you can't tell unless you are underneath the car. If worse comes to worse, you can use spring coil spacers to raise you car .25 inches
Old 03-20-2001, 12:47 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

LOL... we've learned to not cringe anymore when we scrape...

I've had mine for over 2 years now... I'm pretty good at "eyeballing" the heights now... 20/20 hindvision is a great teacher...hehe

I'd recommend doing some filing/sanding to get a good fit... If you don't some parts will gouge at the factory paint near the foglights... (hindsight again!)

I'm wondering if it's worth having them remove the old paint then repainting or just buying a new one and painting it again... I heard the new ones don't have the "STILLEN" logo on the passenger side... LOL (a perk)
Old 03-20-2001, 02:39 PM
BlkCat

Yeah, the new side skirts don't have the Stillen name embossed into them. Hmmm nice place to put on those Maxima.Org stickers? Even without side skirts I can scrape the chin at certain locations. I'm expecting the wifey will complain alot more than before about how terrible I treat my car when we hear that scraping noise! LOL!

I see the sun is out now so I'm washing the car tonight after visiting the hospital.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:47 PM

Can someone PLEASE!!! answer this. How much has everyone payed for there kit or just the front lip and where did you get it? I am only getting the front lip for now but if I found the whole kit somewhere for cheap then I would buy the whole thing.

Max99
Old 03-20-2001, 03:18 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by max99
... How much has everyone payed for there kit or just the front lip and where did you get it? ....

Max99
IIRC $180 way back for the front only at STILLEN...
Old 03-20-2001, 05:17 PM

I have the Stilen front lip with Intrax springs, which lowered my car 1.75", and I do scrap. I do try to be careful as much as I can though. A few scratches are at the bottom where you can't see them unless you look underneath. So, I am not worry, it can't be seen normally.