4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:04 AM

What are my options?

Hi everybody! Last night I found out that one of my stock fogs doesn't work. Can I change the bulb in it, or is the fog light sealed. If so, what bulbs would you recommend that would give me more light than the stock ones. I hate stock bulbs, they are more for looks then for lighting the road. My headlights have Silverstars, maybe I should go with them for fogs? Honestly, I want something better, but HID's I can't afford right now.
Thanx for any suggestion and advice.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Yes, you can replace the bulbs.
All you have to do is undo the fog from the housing. Then, in the back, you will hvae to twist on this black thing and then pull it out. That is the part that keeps the bulb from getting moisture in it.

There will be a little clip on the actualy bulb housing inside that works like of like a safety pin. YOu just push it down and over and it will pop up.

Take the bulb out and pull back the wire wrap somehow. I had to cut mine, but try another way if you can.

YOu might have to get some needle nose pliars to hold onto the other side of the wire, and then pull it loose.

You will need to get another bulb (I think Silverstar makes a fog bulb...I have Silverstars in my headlights too, but I just put some H3 Sylvania bulbs in my fogs). The Sylvania fogs are good quality.

When you go to put the bulb in, remember to use a tee shirt or something to not touch the bulb with your hand. It will hurt the life of the bulb.

Since I cut that wire wrap, I needed to wrap the wires(where they connect back into the housing) with electrical tape. I would recommend this anyway, because you don't want the wires to touch, because they will short out each other and blow the bulb....I know from experience.

Then, put everything back together, and you are ready to go.