4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sub with bose.....other than audio link?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 06:19 PM

Has anyone hooked up a sub and amp in the trunk to a Bose system using another method other than the converter from Audio Link. My local car stereo shop says they can just tap into the rear speakers after the amp in the speaker then us a normal high/low lever converter....This make me a little nervous. Has anyone hooked it up this way...I want to keep the stock head unit and stock Bose speakers....just add a little more bass. I know there have been lots of posts but not sure about spending $140 for the Audio Link kit. I would rather get a better amp and sub. Thanks for your help
Old 03-20-2001, 06:42 PM

ummm

i have two 15s hooked up to stock bose i had a shop do it but i think they just used a rca adapter. sounds great
Old 03-21-2001, 05:13 AM

i've done it. I actually tapped into the signal in the rear speakers (before being amplified by the individual bose amps) then converted it to RCA's and off to an aftermarket amp. Although I know someone who has also not converted them to RCA's from the rear speakers (also before amplification) and run it to the high inputs on the amp. This works as long as you run both the left and right channels, but you seem to lose a little clarity. Email me if you need any help.

-Randy
Old 03-21-2001, 05:37 AM

I have the stock BOSE CD/tape head unit with XTant 1001d and 3 JL 12's hooked up running from the rear speakers, without RCA's I think. I'll check tonight. I had a HiFi Buys here in Atlanta do the install and build the box. Looks and sounds great! I would like to eventually switch to an aftermarket head unit but don't feel like switching out all my interior speakers right now. I wouldn't feel nervous about doing this if you have someone do it who knows what they are doing. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a box with an amp hooked up to the rear bose speakers before the small bose amplifier. It sounded ok but I did seem to get a little engine noise, I think that was because I ran the power wire near the rest of the wiring going to the back, althought I didnt get any engine noise with the amp disconnected, and the power still running through the cable. I just used some wire with rca ends one one side.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:53 PM

Well what I did was tap into the pre amplified signal as well. It is a balanced + 5 volt DC. I have it running into 2 audiocontrol EQX crossover/EQ units, which can accept balanced inputs so it works great. I would be very careful about hooking it up to another type of unit, unless it is specifically designed for balanced inputs. The alternative is to tap off the high level speaker signals after they are amplified, but the reason you loose signal here, is because the bose speakers are "active EQed", so what ever is being fed is not being fed an accurate signal.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:24 PM

I've done it both ways

I ran it first straight off the lines before they were amped on the back speakers... and put it into the high level inputs on my amp. This sucked. sooo

I went to the car audio store and they were like, you idiot! and so they got my a PAC SNI-35 box which is a line level converter.

This box, the PAC(brand) SNI-35(model) box, takes the lines in and has RCA's out.. 2 nice things it offers is adjustments for both lines, up and down, and it has a ground so that if you have any engine noise or whatever (I didn't) you can ground it.

With the PAC SNI-35 box it sounded about 2 as loud and quality was soooooo much better!!!!!

The little converter cost me 25$, and I dont know if that is expensive or cheap, but I can get ya one if you want from the store.