4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Painting bodykit-quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Always sunny in philly

Painting bodykit-quick question

having my gf's uncle's shop paint it-

1.) how much paint would i need to buy for the whole kit?
2.) what am i suppose to use on the kit to prevent it from chipping when bent? i forget what its called

thank u
Old 04-12-2004, 10:34 PM

flex agent or additive. dont know the rest.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry, I know nothing about painting kits, but I'm sure someone is going to ask what kit you are referring to...
Old 04-12-2004, 11:32 PM

You will be able to paint the entire kit assuming it's (front & rear bumpers & side skirts) with 2 quarts of base (color) & 1-1/2 to 2 quarts of clear. You will probably end up having some left over, but it's better to have enough then to end up being short. Also they usually will add a flex agent to the base with most bases (color) depending on the product. A plastic promotor will also be needed if the kit is urathane (plastic). If the kit is fiberglass then they will just use primer instead of a plastic promotor. If your kit is fiberglass I highly suggest using a tint matched primer, that way if the paint does chip the primer underneath is close to the same color. A flex agent will give the base (color) some flexibility to help prevent cracking, it looks kinda like a spider web when base (color) does crack. Keep in mind that the paint will crack if the painted piece is flexed too far. A plastic promotor will bite into plastic & give the base a good foundation to stick too. If you don't use a plastic promotor on plastic or urathane the base will just flake off, it won't stick too good. What ever you do, make sure that the paint & body shop makes sure to scuff the body kit pieces really well with some grey scotch brite (600grit) or red scotch brite (400grit) if you kit is urathane. This will lessen the chance of the paint peeling or flaking. Don't think that any off these product's will keep you from getting rock chip's, paint is not that thick! If you end up rubbing your kit on the ground coming out of a drive way or something of that nature it will deffinitly remove the paint. What these products do is create a better bond with the suface the paint is going to be applied too. I hope that help's, remember the key here is good prep work before the paint is applied....
Old 04-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by Maximus101
You will be able to paint the entire kit assuming it's (front & rear bumpers & side skirts) with 2 quarts of base (color) & 1-1/2 to 2 quarts of clear. You will probably end up having some left over, but it's better to have enough then to end up being short. Also they usually will add a flex agent to the base with most bases (color) depending on the product. A plastic promotor will also be needed if the kit is urathane (plastic). If the kit is fiberglass then they will just use primer instead of a plastic promotor. If your kit is fiberglass I highly suggest using a tint matched primer, that way if the paint does chip the primer underneath is close to the same color. A flex agent will give the base (color) some flexibility to help prevent cracking, it looks kinda like a spider web when base (color) does crack. Keep in mind that the paint will crack if the painted piece is flexed too far. A plastic promotor will bite into plastic & give the base a good foundation to stick too. If you don't use a plastic promotor on plastic or urathane the base will just flake off, it won't stick too good. What ever you do, make sure that the paint & body shop makes sure to scuff the body kit pieces really well with some grey scotch brite (600grit) or red scotch brite (400grit) if you kit is urathane. This will lessen the chance of the paint peeling or flaking. Don't think that any off these product's will keep you from getting rock chip's, paint is not that thick! If you end up rubbing your kit on the ground coming out of a drive way or something of that nature it will deffinitly remove the paint. What these products do is create a better bond with the suface the paint is going to be applied too. I hope that help's, remember the key here is good prep work before the paint is applied....

this is the answer i was looking for. Thank you very much!

btw, its the stillen aerokit. thank u all
Old 04-13-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus101
Very helpful and informative write-up, esp from a Newb!
I am impressed!
We need more noobs like you around here.
All this stuff is actually true. I know from experience...unfortunately some bad ones that I have recently had with paint stuff.
Good luck chillinmax.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:45 PM

Thanks guy for the positive input about this NOOBIE. I'm glad to help anyone anytime...
Good luck with the paint work & by the way you will probably be able to get away with alittle less material since it's a Stillen kit. That kit isn't very big, so alittle less material will be needed to paint the kit. I highly suggest you have them re-paint your front bumper while there at it so it looks just as new as the kit....
Old 04-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Always sunny in philly

thanx brudaddy, hope you find a nice suspension setup.

maximus101-i, also, am very impressed. thank you again.