4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with noise from vent

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 08:55 AM

Anyone hear cricket-like noises coming from the air vents sometime? This happens once in a while and goes away also. I dont know what this is. Any ideas? I want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out though. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had this before too, coming from my far right vent. I was wondering what that is.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

It's the blower motor... very common problem... some here have gotten it fixed thru warantee... The motor is near the passengers foot (above it actually)...
Old 03-21-2001, 12:02 PM
SMX
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the same problem but its not the blower. Its the vent on the passenger side. I know its my vent because if I push on the right top corner of the vent I hear the noise.I going to fix it this weekend. There is two ways to fix it..I going to take the easy one out of the two. You can take the vent out and run a small amount of silicone around the inner edge and pop it back in or what I going to do is I have a piece of foam that has a adhesive in the back of it(it looks like the gray foam that you will seal a house window with) I'm going to stick piece at the top where I know the noise is coming from.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by MAX99SE
Anyone hear cricket-like noises coming from the air vents sometime? This happens once in a while and goes away also. I dont know what this is. Any ideas? I want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out though. Thanks.
Idea #1) A cracked A/C housing.
The blower motor is mounted to a plastic duct or housing. There may be a small crack in that housing which squeaks under certain conditions. Test for this possibility by running the blower and when the squeak is heard, use your hand or foot to press gently on the blower motor. If the sound immediately vanishes that is a sign of a crack. The remedy is to find the crack and goop it up real well with a sealer of some kind. Products such as silicon rubber RTV or Welder or Shoe Goo would do the job.

Idea #2) The blower motor needs lubrication.
Remove the blower motor so you can bench test it. Use a pair of fused test leads to supply 12 volts directly from the battery. If the blower motor shrieks, it probably has dry bearings. Being a thrifty sort, I would always try to rehabilitate the old motor rather than install a replacement. Blower motors typically don't have ball bearings; the armature shaft spins in sintered bronze bearings. You may be able to lubricate them and give that blower motor a new lease on life. Use a light lubricant such as 3-in-1 electric motor oil.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:24 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Idea #2) The blower motor needs lubrication.
Remove the blower motor so you can bench test it. Use a pair of fused test leads to supply 12 volts directly from the battery. If the blower motor shrieks, it probably has dry bearings. Being a thrifty sort, I would always try to rehabilitate the old motor rather than install a replacement. Blower motors typically don't have ball bearings; the armature shaft spins in sintered bronze bearings. You may be able to lubricate them and give that blower motor a new lease on life. Use a light lubricant such as 3-in-1 electric motor oil.
This would make me a happy camper if it solves my problem since my warantee is over... Now just gotta get that motor out!